First Post! First Suppressor!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

DaveJTR

First Post! First Suppressor!

Post by DaveJTR »

Bought the AAC Element 2 on sale. Went the form 4 individual route. Check was cashed today. Just have to wait now. Thinking of getting the P22 as a host (still don't have a .22lr pistol yet). Heard the AAC Element 2 shines with the shorter barrels!
BlogSarge
Silent Operator

Re: First Post! First Suppressor!

Post by BlogSarge »

DaveJTR wrote:Bought the AAC Element 2 on sale. Went the form 4 individual route. Check was cashed today. Just have to wait now. Thinking of getting the P22 as a host (still don't have a .22lr pistol yet). Heard the AAC Element 2 shines with the shorter barrels!

Welcome to forum Dave. And as for buying your first silencer... this should sum it up... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pq2FB0s-mc
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Congratulations. Hard to beat the reliability of one of these http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobi ... +1_22lr_45
Aaron
Silent Operator

Post by Aaron »

I recommend the new Ruger SR22. Its way less fickle with ammo. I will feed almost anything you throw at it. P22s can be picky and with 22lr hard to find that can be a pain.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

You'll love it. Have an E2, and another on the way. It sounds, and "feels" great on a rifle as well.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
DaveJTR

Post by DaveJTR »

I heard good things about the SR22 and the PPQ 22 (full size .22lr Walther pistol). Anyone else have any good recommendations for a host with the AAC Element 2? Heard it's best with pistols and not rifles...
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

Congrats I love my Element 2 and would also look at the Ruger mark 3 or the Ruger mark 22/45 or Ruger SR-22 good luck and gave fun.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Aaron wrote:... P22s can be picky and with 22lr hard to find that can be a pain.
I've heard this as well, though never personally shot one. You can even see Henry Graham push the slide closed on the P22 in some of his old test videos

My Ruger (actually have 2) I don't remember ever jamming with a wide variety of ammo. Not the prettiest pistols but they are reliable for sure
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

The SR22 and M&P 22 Compact are both great silencer hosts. The M&P stays cleaner for much longer though. The Ruger has to be cleaned after ~150 rounds... cycle action starts to get sticky.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

rimshaker wrote:The SR22 and M&P 22 Compact are both great silencer hosts. The M&P stays cleaner for much longer though. The Ruger has to be cleaned after ~150 rounds... cycle action starts to get sticky.
I've heard that the S&W were good hosts.

However I've been known to shoot a whole 550 round box of bulk through my 22/45 Mk II in a day, though admittedly not with the can on. I still don't remember any malfunctions happening. But I have thought about milling a hole in the left side of the receiver for fouling to exit though as it does tend to build up there...
JPB

Post by JPB »

quiettime wrote:Congratulations. Hard to beat the reliability of one of these http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobi ... +1_22lr_45
That's exactly what my Element 2 is riding on. Very reliable and practical. I have an Aimpoint Micro on it. I've gone 800+ suppressed rounds in a couple of days without cleaning and only near the end did I start seeing some failures. The mags are what start gumming up first. I'm about 5-600 rounds deep since last cleaning and I intend to see how long this gun will go with only periodic applications of CLP through the ejection port. So far no CLP has been needed. When it starts failing with regularity, I'll clean it. Love this pistol/can combo.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

JPB wrote:... The mags are what start gumming up first. ...
Yeah about every other cleaning I take my mags apart and clean everything with Break Free and wipe off all but a very slight film. Works well so far.

I wish you could still get the MK II mags; the MK III mags are slightly thinner metal and don't seem as tough
Theohazard
Silent Operator

Post by Theohazard »

The Walther P22 is a poorly-made gun that has lots of issues. Heck, it's not even made by Walther, it's made by their parent company Umarex who makes airsoft guns and cheap .22 replicas of bigger guns.

Walter actually makes the quality guns like the PPQ and PPS, and Umarex makes the crap guns like the CCP and the P22 but they put the Walther name on them.
0331: "Accuracy by volume."
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Theohazard wrote:The Walther P22 is a poorly-made gun that has lots of issues. Heck, it's not even made by Walther, it's made by their parent company Umarex who makes airsoft guns and cheap .22 replicas of bigger guns.

Walter actually makes the quality guns like the PPQ and PPS, and Umarex makes the crap guns like the CCP and the P22 but they put the Walther name on them.
+1

Better to wait, add some extra cash, and buy all iron.

Plastic-Elastic is disposable. Institutionalized dissatisfaction.

For example there many Smith & Wesson 41's available. Yes they
cost twice but last a life time. A 1965 41 still is solid, rugged, even
after over 50 years of shooting regularly. Amortize say $1k over
30 years and it is a few hours parking at a theatre.

And with a Ray Brandes* Bully barrel ... exceptional beyond description.
Clarks and EWKs great 'miss runner ups'.

Old Balkan expression: "I am too poor to buy cheap things."

* Ray suffered a heart attack this past week. Send all the good
vibes for accelerated recovery to an outstanding human being.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

THIS GUY looks promising and has already gotten some good feedback from the likes of 22Plinkster on YouTube
agr1279

Post by agr1279 »

DaveJTR wrote:Bought the AAC Element 2 on sale. Went the form 4 individual route. Check was cashed today. Just have to wait now. Thinking of getting the P22 as a host (still don't have a .22lr pistol yet). Heard the AAC Element 2 shines with the shorter barrels!
That is the host that I have but I didn't pick it. My wife picked the P22 and I told her I was getting a can if she wanted the P22. If I was to do it I'd get either the Ruger SR22 or the M&P. I also have a threaded Ruger TD 10-22 to go with the pistol.

Dan
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

got ruger 22 light , browning buckmark and waltherp22.

the p22 gets bad press but i have not had on problem with it , and fired several rounds with it, and the guys at silencerco
use one as as test gun and have said have 1,000s of rounds no problems. it comes down what you want ,

id like to have a berreta 21
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly

Post by silencer_kid »

get the ruger sr22 with threaded barrel