getting SBR engraved.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, renegade, bakerjw

User avatar
edteach
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:16 am

getting SBR engraved.

Post by edteach » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:06 pm

I have read several things on the net about you do need to you don't need to engrave your SBR lower. I called ATF and was told in no uncertain terms I have to engrave. So I was worried about letting my lower SBR receiver sit at a trophy shop for a few days but sucked it up and took it in. Was told it would be done no later than Wed. After noon. I went in at 1pm and he said it was not done like what the heck are you doing here. I asked why and he said I did not get around to it. I told him to give it back and I would go elsewhere. Left neg feed back on line. He knew I was worried about leaving it with him and promised three days. I called a another local shop and before I could get it out to ask he said you have to be standing there while I do it, I can not hang on to them over night without you there. I made an appointment to come by tonight. So what is the law on letting some one doing work for you on a SBR lower that is not licensed to hold if for a few days? Legal not legal?
DOGON

User avatar
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by silencer_kid » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:37 pm

edteach wrote:I have read several things on the net about you do need to you don't need to engrave your SBR lower. I called ATF and was told in no uncertain terms I have to engrave. So I was worried about letting my lower SBR receiver sit at a trophy shop for a few days but sucked it up and took it in. Was told it would be done no later than Wed. After noon. I went in at 1pm and he said it was not done like what the heck are you doing here. I asked why and he said I did not get around to it. I told him to give it back and I would go elsewhere. Left neg feed back on line. He knew I was worried about leaving it with him and promised three days. I called a another local shop and before I could get it out to ask he said you have to be standing there while I do it, I can not hang on to them over night without you there. I made an appointment to come by tonight. So what is the law on letting some one doing work for you on a SBR lower that is not licensed to hold if for a few days? Legal not legal?
engraved how? you mean missing the NFA requirements? i'll say its not legal to leave it there and that you would have to be there the whole time to have "control" over the item.

the scenario i ask about is, if i bring my own safe and its bolted to their floor, and only a wrecking ball can take it, and only i can get into the safe, can i leave my item in the safe as only i have control to get at the item. not that anyone would do this, just saying.

i think it would clearer if BATF used real English in their silly laws, the use of "possession" would clear up much of their confusing verbiage.


what about this one. your sbr is in name of trust, you then add machinist name to trust, now he can keep it w/o you there, when done you remove him from the trust ;)

and did i miss it, form-1 does or does not have a time limit to finish the manufacturing of the item? do the batf rules state that it must be 100% manufactured before placing into service?

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by Bendersquint » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:57 pm

edteach wrote:I have read several things on the net about you do need to you don't need to engrave your SBR lower. I called ATF and was told in no uncertain terms I have to engrave. So I was worried about letting my lower SBR receiver sit at a trophy shop for a few days but sucked it up and took it in. Was told it would be done no later than Wed. After noon. I went in at 1pm and he said it was not done like what the heck are you doing here. I asked why and he said I did not get around to it. I told him to give it back and I would go elsewhere. Left neg feed back on line. He knew I was worried about leaving it with him and promised three days. I called a another local shop and before I could get it out to ask he said you have to be standing there while I do it, I can not hang on to them over night without you there. I made an appointment to come by tonight. So what is the law on letting some one doing work for you on a SBR lower that is not licensed to hold if for a few days? Legal not legal?
It is illegal to leave a firearm at a shop that does not have an FFL. It is considered a transfer, and also throws the shop into the wind and can get them charged as acting like a gunsmith without a license.

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by Bendersquint » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:04 pm

silencer_kid wrote: the scenario i ask about is, if i bring my own safe and its bolted to their floor, and only a wrecking ball can take it, and only i can get into the safe, can i leave my item in the safe as only i have control to get at the item. not that anyone would do this, just saying.
That would be fine.
silencer_kid wrote:what about this one. your sbr is in name of trust, you then add machinist name to trust, now he can keep it w/o you there, when done you remove him from the trust ;)
41P would squish that as the updated trust would have to be notarized and whats more serious a thought.......would you give a stranger your firearm and rights to your trust assets as well? I know I wouldn't.
silencer_kid wrote:and did i miss it, form-1 does or does not have a time limit to finish the manufacturing of the item? do the batf rules state that it must be 100% manufactured before placing into service?

If its built from scratch then there is no time limit to fabricate it, if you are simply converting a Title1 to Title2 then you need to comply as soon as possible as they consider it a title2 firearm as soon as you get the stamp.

User avatar
edteach
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:16 am

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by edteach » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:08 am

I took it in to a place that did it as I stood there, but its not as deep as it should be. Laser and its fine looks great but not as deep. At least it gets me marked until I can figure out where to get it done again deeper.
DOGON

User avatar
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by silencer_kid » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:01 am

Bendersquint wrote: 41P would squish that as the updated trust would have to be notarized and whats more serious a thought.......would you give a stranger your firearm and rights to your trust assets as well? I know I wouldn't.
i would not, you can add trustees w/o giving them control ;)
batf does not address Trusts in full (thank goodness), not sure they would know how to, and it would probably take a long time to change the verbiage because of all the political-lawyer crap that would be there.
Bendersquint wrote: If its built from scratch then there is no time limit to fabricate it, if you are simply converting a Title1 to Title2 then you need to comply as soon as possible as they consider it a title2 firearm as soon as you get the stamp.
this makes sense. so i could essentially have a form-1 item w/o the markings for as long as i wanted under a "making still in progress" notion. lawyer fees likely? maybe. criminal act? no.
Last edited by silencer_kid on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony M.
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:42 am
Location: FL

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by Tony M. » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:09 am

edteach wrote:I took it in to a place that did it as I stood there, but its not as deep as it should be. Laser and its fine looks great but not as deep. At least it gets me marked until I can figure out where to get it done again deeper.
It only has to be .003" deep, is it shallower than that?

User avatar
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by silencer_kid » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:14 am

Tony M. wrote:
edteach wrote:I took it in to a place that did it as I stood there, but its not as deep as it should be. Laser and its fine looks great but not as deep. At least it gets me marked until I can figure out where to get it done again deeper.
It only has to be .003" deep, is it shallower than that?
the laser probably did surface burning and not material removal. the batf rules for 0.003 is kinda silly, probably dating back before laser engraving was viable. laser etching should suffice, batf verbiage should allow it, and they should simply warn "must be clearly readable at all times. if a LEO (local,state,fed) cannot easily ascertain the etching information such LEO has the right to confiscate the item for further investigation"
Last edited by silencer_kid on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
edteach
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:16 am

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by edteach » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:19 am

It only took off the anodizing. It looks great but its not going to pass. I had him put it above the firing pin 1/16 so its small. I found a local shop that will do it and does it for all the gun shops around and will do it for 65 and has the class lisc. to hold the receiver. Its a 3 day turn around so I will suck up the 40 bucks wasted and have it done there for the 65. Trophy shops are not the way to go, they don't know what they are doing and don't realize that they are breaking the law asking to hold the lower without the one with the stamp there.
DOGON

Tony M.
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:42 am
Location: FL

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by Tony M. » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:11 pm

I've been using a place in South Carolina for the last several projects I've done. They're fast, professional, and inexpensive. I think including shipping, my last stuff was a week turnaround. They're doing laser engraving, but meet the standards required to be legal.

What type of lower are you SBR'ing? (asking because of the mention of the 'firing pin')

User avatar
edteach
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:16 am

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by edteach » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:13 pm

Its a PSA lower
DOGON

User avatar
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:40 am
Location: Montana Territory

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by MJF1911 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:48 pm

I had my local jeweler do it, $20 for two guns, half an hour for the job.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K

User avatar
edteach
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:16 am

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by edteach » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:24 pm

MJF1911 wrote:I had my local jeweler do it, $20 for two guns, half an hour for the job.
I live in SWF and to find a person to do the job without wanting to keep it is difficult. I ended up going with Accubeam out of Sarasota. They have the FFLs to keep the receiver, showed me two anderson receivers they did as examples and said two to three days. Should have it back Tuesday. The Engraver from the Trophy shop in Port Charlotte was a complete rube. Did not have the FFLs said it would be done in two days no problem then looked at me like a deer in the head lights when I came in to pick it up. He knew it was not really a great idea to leave it with him. If they can not tell me the truth when it will be done then I am done. Left neg review of his business and took my lower back.
DOGON

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by Bendersquint » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:45 am

silencer_kid wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: 41P would squish that as the updated trust would have to be notarized and whats more serious a thought.......would you give a stranger your firearm and rights to your trust assets as well? I know I wouldn't.
i would not, you can add trustees w/o giving them control ;)
batf does not address Trusts in full (thank goodness), not sure they would know how to, and it would probably take a long time to change the verbiage because of all the political-lawyer crap that would be there.
Bendersquint wrote: If its built from scratch then there is no time limit to fabricate it, if you are simply converting a Title1 to Title2 then you need to comply as soon as possible as they consider it a title2 firearm as soon as you get the stamp.
this makes sense. so i could essentially have a form-1 item w/o the markings for as long as i wanted under a "making still in progress" notion. lawyer fees likely? maybe. criminal act? no.
When you have the tube done it needs engraving as you made the silencer. Remember the silencer is the registered component so ATF doesn't want unmarked NFA items floating around.

User avatar
Bendersquint
Industry Professional
Posts: 11359
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:19 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by Bendersquint » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:48 am

edteach wrote:Laser and its fine looks great but not as deep. At least it gets me marked until I can figure out where to get it done again deeper.
If the marking is not compliant and meet the marking requirements then you mine as well not have the tube marked at all.

You don't get a buy for doing it half way. Plain and simple that is non-compliant.

User avatar
edteach
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:16 am

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by edteach » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:02 pm

Bendersquint wrote:
edteach wrote:Laser and its fine looks great but not as deep. At least it gets me marked until I can figure out where to get it done again deeper.
If the marking is not compliant and meet the marking requirements then you mine as well not have the tube marked at all.

You don't get a buy for doing it half way. Plain and simple that is non-compliant.
Can you name me a time when someone had ATF take the receiver put silly putty in the engraving and measured the depth of the type? I can not even find a rumor of such a happening. LMAO. I would bet tomorrows rent that I would never even have to worry an inch about it at all. Its more of a safe than sorry to have it engraved at all. I know several people at the ranges who shoot SBRs all the time and tell me I do not have to engrave and they don't no one presses the issue. That said my receiver is at a company that laser engraves to 4 thousands of an inch. They do engraving just a bit over the requirement.
DOGON

User avatar
edteach
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:16 am

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by edteach » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:37 pm

LOL, I can hear the fold song now, I'm sitting here on the group W bench next to a father raper and they ask me what are you in for, and I say, .002 of an inch. And they all slide away from me. They had glossy 8x10 color photos with circles and arrows and writing on the back explaining what each one was. We can call it Alice's engraving massacre.
DOGON

usmcvet0331
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Barre, VT

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by usmcvet0331 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:22 pm

edteach wrote:It only took off the anodizing. It looks great but its not going to pass. I had him put it above the firing pin 1/16 so its small. I found a local shop that will do it and does it for all the gun shops around and will do it for 65 and has the class lisc. to hold the receiver. Its a 3 day turn around so I will suck up the 40 bucks wasted and have it done there for the 65. Trophy shops are not the way to go, they don't know what they are doing and don't realize that they are breaking the law asking to hold the lower without the one with the stamp there.

If you remove the upper and just leave the lower it's no longer an SBR. That does not address the issue of them not having a standard FFL.

User avatar
edteach
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:16 am

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by edteach » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:42 pm

The place I took it to Accubeam in Sarasota did a good job and on the time sched. they said it would be done in. Also they have FFLs to handle all classes. Did a very nice job. I did put whiteout in the engraving to make it show up better. Does ATF call paint fill as taking away from the depth?:)
DOGON

User avatar
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:40 am
Location: Montana Territory

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by MJF1911 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:59 pm

edteach wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
edteach wrote:Laser and its fine looks great but not as deep. At least it gets me marked until I can figure out where to get it done again deeper.
If the marking is not compliant and meet the marking requirements then you mine as well not have the tube marked at all.

You don't get a buy for doing it half way. Plain and simple that is non-compliant.
Can you name me a time when someone had ATF take the receiver put silly putty in the engraving and measured the depth of the type? I can not even find a rumor of such a happening. LMAO. I would bet tomorrows rent that I would never even have to worry an inch about it at all. Its more of a safe than sorry to have it engraved at all. I know several people at the ranges who shoot SBRs all the time and tell me I do not have to engrave and they don't no one presses the issue. That said my receiver is at a company that laser engraves to 4 thousands of an inch. They do engraving just a bit over the requirement.

It is far too easy to just do it and not ever have to worry about it. There used to be a guy that posted here that did some time over an NFA item. I'm sure he had the same mentality when he did whatever he did.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K

User avatar
stengun
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:59 pm
Location: bugtussell, ar

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by stengun » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:55 am

Howdy,

If you live in the D/FW area, or want to ship to them there a place in Rockwall ( east side of metro area) that will do it while you wait. They even stay open until 8pm a couple of nights a week.

I don't recall their name, only have it listed as SBR engraving in my iPhone but their phone number is:

(469) 464-5500

When I SBR my 300 Blackout pistol that's who I will use.

Paul
"The number of people that I've killed is not important. What is important is how I get along with the ones that are still alive."

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)

tootall
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by tootall » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:31 pm

I have used Gray Laser in TX. Bill Gray is a 007/002 FFL/SOT and you can mail your stuff to him... $55 each and shipping. Fantastic service and quality. Very deep and looks like machine engraving...

JoeLiberty
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by JoeLiberty » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:23 am

Bendersquint wrote:
It is illegal to leave a firearm at a shop that does not have an FFL. It is considered a transfer, and also throws the shop into the wind and can get them charged as acting like a gunsmith without a license.
Wait, really? Is that based on local laws? As stated before, without the barrel attached, it is not an SBR. It's just a firearm, right?
It seems like if one could legally sell that firearm to another state resident, then one could also loan it out or otherwise 'transfer' it to just about anyone (that is not known to you to be a prohibited person). What makes that illegal?
No expert, just asking.

Tony M.
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:42 am
Location: FL

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by Tony M. » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:43 am

JoeLiberty wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
It is illegal to leave a firearm at a shop that does not have an FFL. It is considered a transfer, and also throws the shop into the wind and can get them charged as acting like a gunsmith without a license.
Wait, really? Is that based on local laws? As stated before, without the barrel attached, it is not an SBR. It's just a firearm, right?
It seems like if one could legally sell that firearm to another state resident, then one could also loan it out or otherwise 'transfer' it to just about anyone (that is not known to you to be a prohibited person). What makes that illegal?
No expert, just asking.
A more accurate statement would be that it is potentially illegal for a non-licensed business or person to perform gunsmithing services and take customer firearms. The end user hasn't broken the law, but the business *MAY* have.

User avatar
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:03 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: getting SBR engraved.

Post by CanOfWhooppass » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:27 pm

I think there may be more to consider if my understanding is correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
First, legaly a reciever is a firearm even if you can't shoot it in its current condition.
You can't give, loan, leave under the control of: a firearm to a Felon, a pistol to under 21, any firearm to a minor, under restraining order, etc. How do you know who works at the local trophy engraver?

A FFL probably will secure your reciever in a safe, or at least be a heavily secured and alarmed building.

We know people who shouldn't legaly have guns can't get a FFL.

Just seems like so much to risk over a little shipping to a safe bet.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!

Post Reply