SBR Build for Omega Questions

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

nxs450

SBR Build for Omega Questions

Post by nxs450 »

Hello all first time for me to post here. I have been reading for a while and used the info here to make my decision on the purchase of Silencerco Omega. I purchased it from a local range so I can shoot it there until I get my tax stamp. I went last weekend and shot it on my Ruger AR15 Carbine. The setup is longer then I like, so I want to turn my Ruger into a SBR. What I was thinking is a 10.5" barrel with a handguard approx. 15" so the silencer will fit into the handguard.
I have been told that the 223 round is not very accurate in a SBR, and 300 Black Out would be a better option. Any input on what to do would be great. And recommendations on barrel/handguard lengths/brands would be great as well.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: SBR Build for Omega Questions

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I don't know why accuracy would be a problem. Twist rate determines if it's tight enough @ speed from a 12" bbl. 5.56 was designed for 20" bbl. When cut to 16" it already begins to suffer(in 1970s). But modern powders and bullets combined w fast twist (1:7-8) helps.

I would go w 300BLK b/c it's a heavier bullet that offers greater tail surface area for the gas to act upon from a shorter bbl. So anywhere from 9.5-12" is fine. Of course more bbl = more velocity.

It really depends upon what your goals for this platform are. Hunting, self defense, target?
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
nxs450

Post by nxs450 »

Mainly a range toy. I only recently got into guns and shooting. My goal is to build something light, that will run cool, and be fairly quiet.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

SBR has the same accuracy potential as longer barrels. At longer ranges there is more drop due to lower velocity though.

As a range toy 300 will let you get very quiet with subsonic ammo, but unless you reload ammo costs are rather high.

Under the long handguard has some pros, but if you rapid fire supersonic ammo it will get very hot, you can't shoot it without suppressor attached and you give up the very short handy unsuppressed blast cannon which is its own fun too.

I have two SBR, a 5" 9mm AR for very short and quiet 100 yard fun (under handguard) and a 10.3" 5.56 for hearing safe rifle to 300 yards (suppressor in front). As much as I shoot, 300 Blackout is just too expensive for me to feed.

5.56 really needs 10.3 inches to function well, 300 Blackout does fine with 7 if you want shorter. You can get shorter to work, but it can be tricky.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

nxs450 wrote:Mainly a range toy. I only recently got into guns and shooting. My goal is to build something light, that will run cool, and be fairly quiet.
Then 300BLK from 10.5" running subsonics should fit your bill.

Use a muzzle shroud if you ever fire w/o can. And make friends w a reloader or buy a Lee Starter Set Single Stage Press. Buy some .223 fired brass and resize. This should keep the costs from b/c too high. Maybe even offer to reload ammo for Rangebuddies? This way you reload while watching TV and suppliment your range budget. 8)

If you get a SBR lower, you could even shoot bulk mil surplus .223 ammo. Then resize the brass after shooting it. But you'd need 2 uppers. That would also give greater versatility and future options if the "gun bug" takes hold. :)

(NOt sure if Ruger can swap uppers?)
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
nxs450

Post by nxs450 »

Wow I guess I should of looked at 300 ammo prices before I considered it as a option. Looks like it is almost 3 times the price of 223.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I have SBRs in both 5.56 and 300 BLK. 5.56 is cheaper to shoot. 300 BLK is much quieter. Velocity of M193 ball from my 11.5" 1:7 bbl was 2647 fps. Comfortable to shoot with a Saker. Pretty darned loud without a can. I went to 8.5" on the 300 BLK because it was to be suppressed. Works fine w a 9mm can.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Before you go and buy all the parts it would take to rebuild your upper as a SBR you may want to shop complete uppers, some sell without BCG to keep cost down.

Also the used market on AR pistols has been thick since the ATF frowned over the Sig Brace. Might be able to pick one up reasonable and shoot as pistol until stamp and then just change out the stock.

Many people who rebuild an upper, follow up by resembling all the left over parts into another upper, then buying another lower. If you think you will end up there, the more direct path is cheaper.

Not all uppers and lowers fit each other well as already mentioned. Take your gun with you when you shop and check it before you buy if you can. You can't start throwing pistol uppers on a rifle lower, but by checking some stripped uppers and rifle uppers you will figure out what brands play nice with yours.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
Theohazard
Silent Operator

Post by Theohazard »

nxs450 wrote:What I was thinking is a 10.5" barrel with a handguard approx. 15" so the silencer will fit into the handguard.
You're going to need a really fat handguard for the Omega to fit underneath it. Also, if you're using the ASR mount you'll have a hard time activating the latch through the handguards. And if you're using the direct-thread mount you'll have to make sure it's super-tight on the silencer body, because otherwise it could stay on the muzzle when you try to unscrew it.
0331: "Accuracy by volume."
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:SBR has the same accuracy potential as longer barrels. At longer ranges there is more drop due to lower velocity though.

As a range toy 300 will let you get very quiet with subsonic ammo, but unless you reload ammo costs are rather high.

Under the long handguard has some pros, but if you rapid fire supersonic ammo it will get very hot, you can't shoot it without suppressor attached and you give up the very short handy unsuppressed blast cannon which is its own fun too.

I have two SBR, a 5" 9mm AR for very short and quiet 100 yard fun (under handguard) and a 10.3" 5.56 for hearing safe rifle to 300 yards (suppressor in front). As much as I shoot, 300 Blackout is just too expensive for me to feed.

5.56 really needs 10.3 inches to function well, 300 Blackout does fine with 7 if you want shorter. You can get shorter to work, but it can be tricky.
Ya if you want to shoot 300blk you definitely should be reloading.
JoeLiberty

Post by JoeLiberty »

nxs450 wrote:Mainly a range toy. I only recently got into guns and shooting. My goal is to build something light, that will run cool, and be fairly quiet.
22lr
I'm putting together a 300blk sbr, and before I even have it finished, before I even bought any ammo, I am starting to plan a 22lr upper build. The 300blk is more for hunting critters so round count is low... but for having fun at the range, and taking advantage of that tax stamp, I am wanting (nay, needing) a 22. That's the great thing about the sbr'd lower. Why NOT have both?? Certainly meets those requirements, light, runs cool, and stooopid quiet. My baby's flatulence is louder and not too dissimilar in tone. For someone who only recently got into guns, you are head and shoulders above your peers. Best of luck.
Oh, and handguards that should fit:
Spikes BAR
Seekins BAR
Samson Evolution
AERO M4E1

I chose the Midwest industries SS (not the Gen2, the original one). My upper is a billet affair and I needed one without anti-rotation tabs, otherwise I probably would have chosen the AERO with m-lok.
nxs450

Post by nxs450 »

JoeLiberty wrote:
22lr
I'm putting together a 300blk sbr, and before I even have it finished, before I even bought any ammo, I am starting to plan a 22lr upper build. The 300blk is more for hunting critters so round count is low... but for having fun at the range, and taking advantage of that tax stamp, I am wanting (nay, needing) a 22. That's the great thing about the sbr'd lower. Why NOT have both?? Certainly meets those requirements, light, runs cool, and stooopid quiet. My baby's flatulence is louder and not too dissimilar in tone. For someone who only recently got into guns, you are head and shoulders above your peers. Best of luck.
Oh, and handguards that should fit:
Spikes BAR
Seekins BAR
Samson Evolution
AERO M4E1

I chose the Midwest industries SS (not the Gen2, the original one). My upper is a billet affair and I needed one without anti-rotation tabs, otherwise I probably would have chosen the AERO with m-lok.
Cool, thanks for the reply. I'm still trying to figure out all the legal verbiage for SBR build. So can I build it as a 300 blk and switch it to 22 on the same stamp? Do you know where I can find SBR build for dummies. I decided to build from scratch with a new lower, and keep the Ruger as is.

Oh and here is a new Handguard I found from MI
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/ind ... ry_ID=2519
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mars »

Plenty of AR15 build how-to's on youtube. I would look there.
the POWPOW now goes powpow
JoeLiberty

Post by JoeLiberty »

nxs450 wrote:
Cool, thanks for the reply. I'm still trying to figure out all the legal verbiage for SBR build. So can I build it as a 300 blk and switch it to 22 on the same stamp? Do you know where I can find SBR build for dummies. I decided to build from scratch with a new lower, and keep the Ruger as is.

Oh and here is a new Handguard I found from MI
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/ind ... ry_ID=2519
Yup, that one should work too. Looks good and MI makes some nice products. And yes, since the lower receiver 'is' the registered SBR, you can have multiple uppers in various configurations and calibers based on one stamp. If however, you decide to sell or permanently modify your original upper, the ATF requests that you keep them informed of the change.
Here is a decent summary of the process. Personally, I think he makes too big a deal of the 'constructive possession' stuff, but to each his own.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... -nfa-item/
MistWolf

Post by MistWolf »

Once you jump through the bureaucratic hoops and get the SBR tax stamp on your lower, you can put what ever length barrel on it.

The most important detail to get your shorty upper running right, whether suppressed or not, is to get gas port right. The easiest way is to get a barrel with a port a little on the large side and using an SLR adjustable gas block to tune it to function with an H or H2 (or equivalent type buffer). It worked for me with a 10.5 upper.

Currently, I've got the shorty tuned to run with an H2 buffer & standard carbine spring. Before, I had a rifle buffer & RE assembly. When I get an Omega suppressor, I'll tune it with that
batman4706
Silent Operator

Post by batman4706 »

Brownells has a series of step by step videos for building an AR. It's very good since it beaks the videos down to units, like the trigger group, etc.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/
nxs450

Post by nxs450 »

MistWolf wrote:Once you jump through the bureaucratic hoops and get the SBR tax stamp on your lower, you can put what ever length barrel on it.

The most important detail to get your shorty upper running right, whether suppressed or not, is to get gas port right. The easiest way is to get a barrel with a port a little on the large side and using an SLR adjustable gas block to tune it to function with an H or H2 (or equivalent type buffer). It worked for me with a 10.5 upper.

Currently, I've got the shorty tuned to run with an H2 buffer & standard carbine spring. Before, I had a rifle buffer & RE assembly. When I get an Omega suppressor, I'll tune it with that
What kind of issues did you experience before you got it dialed in? What barrel and gas block did you use? Thanks!
MistWolf

Post by MistWolf »

I have a SS Odin Works 10.5" barrel and an SLR adjustable gas block. The barrel has an .083" gas port which far too large. It was seriously over gassed. With the adjustable gas block and proper weight buffer (H or H2), it's easy to tune
Last edited by MistWolf on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nxs450

Post by nxs450 »

batman4706 wrote:Brownells has a series of step by step videos for building an AR. It's very good since it beaks the videos down to units, like the trigger group, etc.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/
Cool, I have been checking them out.