--

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

0101silent
Silent But Deadly

--

Post by 0101silent »

--
Last edited by 0101silent on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Are Centerfire Rifle Cans Self Cleaning?

Post by doubloon »

The general consensus from observation and testing by professionals is centerfire cans used with only good grade clean burning ammo simply don't accumulate much debris to begin with so no cleaning required.

A sealed centerfire can used for dirty ammo like 22lr or other unplated lead projectiles will gradually accumulate lead deposits over time from vaporized lead off the base of the projectiles. Shooting high power centerfire cartridges through a leaded up suppressor may eject loose debris but this is still not "self cleaning".

At least that's the available "wisdom".

The video you linked shows the suppressor being used with rimfire ammunition and it doesn't say how much. I would venture to guess the majority of the 1 oz fouling came from rimfire shooting.

JMOYMMV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Yes. Especially on shorter barrels.
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

Running hot will build up all sorts of crap. Ill share some pics from my testing. In my opinion down stream didn't get too nasty but the blast baffle and second baffle built up some crap. I had carbon and copper depositing from the jackets that build up pretty thick.
07/02 behind enemy lines
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Grounded wrote:Running hot will build up all sorts of crap. Ill share some pics from my testing. In my opinion down stream didn't get too nasty but the blast baffle and second baffle built up some crap. I had carbon and copper depositing from the jackets that build up pretty thick.
Are we still talking about rifle rounds? Cause the blast chamber and first baffle on my Saker762 look almost squeaky clean (except the color) after several 556 mags.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

rimshaker wrote:
Grounded wrote:Running hot will build up all sorts of crap. Ill share some pics from my testing. In my opinion down stream didn't get too nasty but the blast baffle and second baffle built up some crap. I had carbon and copper depositing from the jackets that build up pretty thick.
Are we still talking about rifle rounds? Cause the blast chamber and first baffle on my Saker762 look almost squeaky clean (except the color) after several 556 mags.
Report back after 5k rds. There will be carbon and powder caking in crevices where baffles meet tube. Some Copper spray may cause discoloration or not. Running detergent followed by hot water should be fine for cleaning. Do it every 200-500rds to prevent buildup b/t range trips. I'm surprised that no Mnfr sells "refresher" to soak inside after x# rds. Rubber, leather, etc all use conditioners. Metal, wood, etc also have micropores which benefit from periodic refreshing to cleanse environmental contaminates.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

rimshaker wrote:
Try a very aggressive fire schedule and running at 900°+ for that and you will get some build up. Most people shooting a few mag dumps here and there won't see that need.
07/02 behind enemy lines
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

Grounded wrote:
Try a very aggressive fire schedule and running at 900°+ for that and you will get some build up. Most people shooting a few mag dumps here and there won't see that need.
:wink: Yep, when you run full auto you learn this very quickly. We build all of our suppressors user serviceable, the one I took apart after 5000rds on a 10.5" M4 running M855 had some pretty good build up. It amazes me how much copper is deposited in the baffles along with the carbon.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

curtistactical wrote:
Grounded wrote:
:wink: Yep, when you run full auto you learn this very quickly. We build all of our suppressors user serviceable, the one I took apart after 5000rds on a 10.5" M4 running M855 had some pretty good build up. It amazes me how much copper is deposited in the baffles along with the carbon.
I literally chucked up a baffle and turned the copper off lol.
07/02 behind enemy lines
silencer_kid
Silent But Deadly

Post by silencer_kid »

maybe change the title of this thread to "all cans are self dirtying" ;)
tf2addict
Silent Operator

Post by tf2addict »

1.1 ounces of build up? That's amazing.
Pat M
Silent But Deadly

Post by Pat M »