Centerfire suppressors strictly for big game hunting applications

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Centerfire suppressors strictly for big game hunting applications

Post by Wicked »

Hang on, this is long. Looking for input & suggestions on this one;

1.) What centerfire cans currently on the market (US & otherwise) are designed specifically for the hunting crowd?

2.) What attributes/features make those suppressors best suited for hunting?

3.) What types of hunting are these suppressors designed around?

4.) What calibers/cartridges are these cans designed to suppress?

5.) If you were going to purchase a suppressor ONLY for use while big game hunting, what would pay?

I know the euro and foreign markets are likely more suited to this type of can. Not paying for a stamp, easier access, lower cost and less concern for long life make for different design and different purchase requirements than here in the US. There was a guy here a while back that built and used 'home-brew' aluminum suppressors for clients to use while he was guiding their hunts. It was offshore and it was legal where he lived. I'm guessing they never saw more than 100 rounds before replacement? Short, light weight, inexpensive direct thread. Made sense to me.

As I've gotten way more into hunting and less in to tactical-target-competition, my suppressor needs have changed. If you're a rimfire or varmint hunter, the current crop of suppressors here in the US will already meet your requirements. They are pretty much the same as the target/tactical and recreational shooters. But, what about guys that don't shoot off their belly? They hike in and carry their light weight rifle for miles to hunt with a .270, 35 Whelen, 300WM, 45-70 or guys on safari with a 375 H&H or 458 WM. They got mostly nothing.

Before OPS, Inc. went belly up, they introduced a super economical M4-S mini-can that only added a mere few inches/oz and was designed just to knock the edge off, so LE and .mil guys wouldn't go deaf and bleed from their ears if they popped one off inside. 15dB reduction. Cost was only $200, same as a stamp.

What if this concept was applied to a suppressor designed for hunting? Short, light weight, all welded, super low cost, direct thread, little to no POI shift, +15dB or so reduction, reduced lifespan. Not hearing safe, but you're hunting and likely don't wear earpro with your unsuppressed rifle. Huge improvement, but not conventional suppressor performance. Not conventional price or weight or size either.

I don't see much if anything out there like this and maybe there is a reason. Would I be trying to re-invent a broken wheel? What say you?
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Centerfire suppressors strictly for big game hunting applications

Post by doubloon »

If it wasn't for the stamps and the wait time (lame argument I know) I'd own one set of cans for hunting and another for fun, plinking, punching paper. Similar to the way some people have a track car and a commuter.

Something lightweight and affordable (consumable?) that blunts the report when hunting would be preferable to the Fleetwood I take to the range.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

My personal view on this is pick the rifle you want to use and have a nice integral suppressor built on that gun. A perfect example is the 300wsm Tikka you welded up for me some months ago, it was around 8oz lighter when it was finished with a 23.5" barrel length. To me an integral is hard to beat for hunting. I have been doing some experimenting on thinning stainless baffles out enough to get them to the weight of Ti and still live a long life in semi auto applications, this would be the perfect example of a use for such a baffle.
Joe
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
0101silent
Silent But Deadly

Post by 0101silent »

--
Last edited by 0101silent on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

0101silent wrote:
curtistactical wrote:My personal view on this is pick the rifle you want to use and have a nice integral suppressor built on that gun. A perfect example is the 300wsm Tikka you welded up for me some months ago, it was around 8oz lighter when it was finished with a 23.5" barrel length. To me an integral is hard to beat for hunting. I have been doing some experimenting on thinning stainless baffles out enough to get them to the weight of Ti and still live a long life in semi auto applications, this would be the perfect example of a use for such a baffle.
Joe
You should post a picture of the Integral Rifle that you built. I remember the thread. Did you meter it? I would love to build one for myself one in .308, or an Ohio Approved Deer Caliber one day.
This is the 300wsm integral.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=131577
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

Now you have had me thinking about this. I think as long as the design you come up with puts little to no wear on the tube and the suppressor is serviceable then the customer could know up front that after xx number of rounds the suppressor would need to be sent back in for baffle replacement for $xx. You could build a super light suppressor that would burn out fairly quick but would be easily rebuilt.
Joe
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

curtistactical wrote:My personal view ...
Well ... there's that too.

If it weren't for the stamps and the wait I'd own more integrals.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

doubloon wrote:
curtistactical wrote:My personal view ...
Well ... there's that too.

If it weren't for the stamps and the wait I'd own more integrals.
:lol: Yep that always comes in to play. I was hoping more people would comment on this I would like to hear what others think.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

curtistactical wrote: :lol: Yep that always comes in to play. I was hoping more people would comment on this I would like to hear what others think.
I'd like an "integral" that can be screwed onto multiple hosts. And then a sleeve to cover the ports otherwise.

My design for illustration only. The brake is attached to can. The sleeve would screw onto threads and reach back to cover slits and have a gromet or protective "lip" to prevent blowback into eyes.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

For the cost of multiple rifles configured to accept the same integral I'd just as soon do dedicated integrals.

I put up with moving a can from gun to gun because stamps, wait time and transfer hassle. If I could buy and sell integral rifles and pistols without worrying about the jack boots kicking in my neighbors door and shooting his dog that's the route I'd take.

Beyond the initial purchase hassle is the freedom to let a buddy take it hunting or sporting as well as gifting or simply legally transferring a suppressed weapon.

I would definitely own more of them.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Wicked wrote:Hang on, this is long. Looking for input & suggestions on this one;

1.) What centerfire cans currently on the market (US & otherwise) are designed specifically for the hunting crowd?
Ase-utra and BR-Tuote.
2.) What attributes/features make those suppressors best suited for hunting?
Concentric, symetric, lightweight.
3.) What types of hunting are these suppressors designed around?
From squirrel/rabbit to Rhino/Elephant.
4.) What calibers/cartridges are these cans designed to suppress?
.17-.585 up to 10ga.
5.) If you were going to purchase a suppressor ONLY for use while big game hunting, what would pay?
For cheaply built $350US. For long term quality use $1000US.

I know the euro and foreign markets are likely more suited to this type of can. Not paying for a stamp, easier access, lower cost and less concern for long life make for different design and different purchase requirements than here in the US. There was a guy here a while back that built and used 'home-brew' aluminum suppressors for clients to use while he was guiding their hunts. It was offshore and it was legal where he lived. I'm guessing they never saw more than 100 rounds before replacement? Short, light weight, inexpensive direct thread. Made sense to me.

Before OPS, Inc. went belly up, they introduced a super economical M4-S mini-can that only added a mere few inches/oz and was designed just to knock the edge off, so LE and .mil guys wouldn't go deaf and bleed from their ears if they popped one off inside. 15dB reduction. Cost was only $200, same as a stamp.

What if this concept was applied to a suppressor designed for hunting? Short, light weight, all welded, super low cost, direct thread, little to no POI shift, +15dB or so reduction, reduced lifespan. Not hearing safe, but you're hunting and likely don't wear earpro with your unsuppressed rifle. Huge improvement, but not conventional suppressor performance. Not conventional price or weight or size either.

I don't see much if anything out there like this and maybe there is a reason. Would I be trying to re-invent a broken wheel? What say you?
If in USA w NFA I'd want long life and better quality for my $$$. After all, 200$ initial purchase and another $200 for any additional transfer makes it tough to sell. So I'd want 20+ yrs use. 5+yrs if used for guided hunts. So $650+200 for well built w Ti tube and SS baffles w welded near endcap. Maybe threaded far endcap for ease of 7/02 replacing baffles as needed for added wear of 4months of guide use per yr.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Post by savagetactical »

What calibre are you using? There are several nice 338 cans that are designed for the 338 Lapua. In the past few years people have made some nice 44-50 calibre cans that can take stuff up to a 45-70 government, but not sure how they would handle a H&H or nitro express round. Silencerco makes the hybrid in 458 cal, Bowers makes a can rate for 50 calibre rounds (but not 50 BMG), and Liberty might make a 458 can as well. Silencershop has a large number of 338 cans on their page; look under their Large bore suppressor category. Most of these can are around $1100-$1600 MSRP.