A-TEC CMM4(6) Rimfire Suppressor Lead Deposition

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Odd Job

Re: A-TEC CMM4(6) Rimfire Suppressor Lead Deposition

Post by Odd Job »

We'd need more info on storage conditions, rough handling during transit, use, etc before we could make any guesses founded in science. But I think that he is correct about the findings, results, conclusions surrounding lead buildup and retention.
You are correct, all movement makes a difference. And after all I transport the suppressor to the hospital to X-ray it.
In future tests I will try to capture residues lost in transit (if there are any).

However, something very interesting: I photograph the exit hole of the suppressor after every session. There is a cone of residue that builds up on the outside of the can. I found that this cone built up until 4000 rounds. When I photographed it at the end of the next session at 4500 rounds, that whole cone of lead was gone. It was removed during the normal shooting of those 500 rounds, but I don't know at what point it happened.

I'm going to include those photos in the update this weekend.
Odd Job

Post by Odd Job »

whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I really appreciate your article.

There was 1 section that was slightly wrong.
http://tinyurl.com/jn875ps wrote:It was pointed out to me recently by a member of a suppressor forum that the end cap of the suppressor in the control radiograph (0 rounds) appeared more dense than in subsequent radiographs, which gave him the impression that the suppressor had lost density. This is not the case. It is simply a case of windowing differences between that radiograph and the others at the time I made the jpeg composite image.
I didn't say that the suppressor was less dense. I said that digital radiograph imaging equipment can adjust the output image by contrasting the sections relative to the darkest part of the target.

So, the darker section created by lead buildup can make the fixed density material appear as a lighter greyscale tone. That's why I called it a "digital Artifact" of the system. Not an apparent change in density.
---
You might also wish to post the full URL instead of linking "tinyurl.com" This Service sometimes links to (subjectively) illegal content or prohibited speech which people in some countries might not be allowed to access. So many people may fear clicking it.

Here it is for those Members: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/lead-dep ... 2-bertolli
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Thanks for the full URL, my work blocks most of them for security reasons. So on break, nice to be able to click on it and see.

On the digital radiograph imaging equipment, is there a way to place a 'standard' in the image so the contrast
from one image to the next can give the viewer a better idea of the baseline change?

Love this so far, extremely interesting content.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

RPM509 wrote:Thanks for the full URL, my work blocks most of them for security reasons. So on break, nice to be able to click on it and see.

On the digital radiograph imaging equipment, is there a way to place a 'standard' in the image so the contrast from one image to the next can give the viewer a better idea of the baseline change?
You're welcome.

Yes, he says that he'll place an aluminum wedge standard in future graphs. This will indicate any variations in the Greyscale. It's a density/radio opacity reference used like a ruler would be for length. It features graduated 'steps' used to calibrate scanners and serve as reference for analysis.
---
The 3D viewing Suite that OddJob uses is really sweet. I used a similar program to view my CT Scan when I shattered my arm bones. I could see and examine each tiny chip of bone and their relation to the surrounding Tissue.
Odd Job

Post by Odd Job »

There was 1 section that was slightly wrong.
I'll edit that :)
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Odd Job wrote:
WR74 wrote:There was 1 section that was slightly wrong.
I'll edit that :)
Thank you. :D
And please feel free to credit my citation as "WhiteRussian." Just leave off the numbers please. 8)
It would swell my Ego to see my Screen in Print.