New Member - How to set up a trust?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

DavidHeart

New Member - How to set up a trust?

Post by DavidHeart »

Howdy, I've been through this forum a couple times but just joined. I don't have a suppressor yet, but I'd like to finally file a Form 1. My reasons for owning a suppressor are that I love to target shoot, but I hate the noise! In my state it's legal for us to hunt with suppressor's as well, so it would be nice to avoid the overture **BOOM** when I shoot a deer.

But before I file a Form 1, I learned it's best to set up a trust. That way my kids or wife could use the suppressor as well. The problem is... there are about 300 million trust companies with prices all over the place. I don't know what to do? I'm not against doing it myself, but I don't want to screw things up.

Any direction would be awesome! Hopefully it'll cost less than $100 to file the trust... Thank you for your help!
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Re: New Member - How to set up a trust?

Post by ericlw »

where are you from? Their might be someone here that knows someone locally that can do it for you. 100 dollars is going to be difficult for someone who knows what they are doing IMO.
pdsmith505

Post by pdsmith505 »

I had one done by a lawyer here in VA. He runs a pretty good gig selling trusts at $100 a pop that are VA specific. I don't think $100 is out of the question.

That being said, I figure the purpose of a trust is to cover your ass in case of legal troubles, so it's worth a bit of coin to pay a lawyer to be responsible for the legality of the trust. Even with fingerprints and photos coming to trusts in the near future, I still see utility in having one for your spouse, kids, etc. to "be in possession" of your toys if need be.
RogerRonas

Post by RogerRonas »

I got mine here in Colorado for 300.00. i would not have done it anyother way.
Took all of 24 hours, emailed him, he emailed me, done.

Roger
MOLON LABE

I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6!
DavidHeart

Post by DavidHeart »

I'm located in Georgia. I didn't realize they're state specific. I've seen all sorts of advertisements for anywhere from $50-$300 so I figured $100 wouldn't be out of the question. $300 feels steep. It's bad enough we get charged a $200 tax stamp... Would I be able to put other items in the trust (ie, house, property, car, etc) or are they only NFA specific?

Thank y'all for your help!
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

well i know gun stores doing them for free. IMO its practicing law without a license but no one asked me. I paid about 350 for mine several years ago. But it was from a real lawyer and he specializes in gun law, and has class 3 license.

Its your freedom at risk. Pay now or pay with 10 years federal jail time and 10,000 fine. Your pick.

Also their isn't "legal" document as a nfa trust. They are all living revocable trusts written to meet your needs for gun items. I know in texas you don't have to file anything with the state you have your trust written up and thats it. Other states might need you to register it or have something like a business tax id.
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mars »

i used quicken will maker, cost $30 bucks. worked for 4 nfa items.
the POWPOW now goes powpow
DavidHeart

Post by DavidHeart »

Quicken Will Maker.... this sounds tempting... and mildly scary if it gets screwed up. Is it common for people to use this software? Any special considerations?
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

DavidHeart wrote:Quicken Will Maker.... this sounds tempting... and mildly scary if it gets screwed up. Is it common for people to use this software? Any special considerations?
Some people use it. I have heard issues with the atf not accepting them. Up to you.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

DavidHeart wrote:Quicken Will Maker.... this sounds tempting... and mildly scary if it gets screwed up. Is it common for people to use this software? Any special considerations?
It's been a topic of discussion here more than once. Don't have a trust.

I seem to recall someone saying something about having a way to write a trust to get the NFA then add trustees later and avoid some of the paperwork associated with trustees but don't remember the details.

Like eric says, I've heard stories about trusts being rejected.

trust threads at ST :arrow: https://www.google.com/search?q=trust+s ... ertalk.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

I have a local attorney (GA) that does them for $99, and has a network of attorney's that work with him to cover other states.

https://nfalawyers.com/

Well worth the money, IMO. Submit your payment and info online and you'll have your trust in a day or two at most. Dean was very responsive to my questions (phone/email and PM on local gun board) during the process as well as when I needed amendments drafted.
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
DavidHeart

Post by DavidHeart »

doubloon wrote:
It's been a topic of discussion here more than once. Don't have a trust.

I seem to recall someone saying something about having a way to write a trust to get the NFA then add trustees later and avoid some of the paperwork associated with trustees but don't remember the details.

Like eric says, I've heard stories about trusts being rejected.

trust threads at ST :arrow: https://www.google.com/search?q=trust+s ... ertalk.com
Don't have a trust? I'll take a look at the link you provided.

Thanks for the link FullAuto. I'll take a look at Dean as well! Doubloon's advice to not have a trust boggles my mind. First time I've heard anything but glowing reports on having a trust set up.
pdsmith505

Post by pdsmith505 »

I think he was saying that he doesn't have one himself. At least that's my reading.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

pdsmith505 wrote:I think he was saying that he doesn't have one himself. At least that's my reading.
Yessir, sorry I wasn't clear.

I don't have a trust, I have a LLC.

I've seen people argue downsides and upsides to both trusts and LLCs ... all depends on your locale and situation which works best for your purposes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

doubloon wrote:
pdsmith505 wrote:I think he was saying that he doesn't have one himself. At least that's my reading.
Yessir, sorry I wasn't clear.

I don't have a trust, I have a LLC.

I've seen people argue downsides and upsides to both trusts and LLCs ... all depends on your locale and situation which works best for your purposes.
W Spanish being prevelantly spoken here in Houston, many of us drop our pronouns in casual speech.

I too, have an LLC. They are 'da bomb' for flexibility and durability.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
RMears 45

Post by RMears 45 »

I got my trust done for $150 when I bought my first suppressor. The dealer and the lawyer had an arrangement for this price with a purchase. I think the lawyer charged $300 if you just walked into his office and asked for one.
SShhh,Be wery,wery quiet I am...