Most effective suppressor for use with 9mm 115 gr. FMJ ammo?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Hned

Most effective suppressor for use with 9mm 115 gr. FMJ ammo?

Post by Hned »

Hi, Guys... After lurking for a while and enjoying your posts (Thanks!), I'm new to the forum and look forward to interacting. On this topic, I am facing a purchasing selection dilemma. Having chosen 9mm as the predominant caliber in my household to minimize confusion in any emergency situation, I am looking for the most effective suppressor (emphasizing "effective") to use on my 9mm Beretta pistols and carbines without requiring subsonic ammo in order to be "hearing safe." Since I buy large volumes of standard 115 grain FMJ ammo for general use, it would be my ideal scenario to still use this ammo with a can and, perhaps aside from the initial supersonic pop of each round, achieve "hearing safe" levels. Is this even possible? And if so, what specific suppressor will best achieve this with standard 115 grain FMJ ammo? I have been considering the Rugged Obsidian, the GA Revolution 45, and the GA Optimus, but I don't know which one, if any, of these or any other suppressors will best provide the desired results. Thank you in advance for your insights and recommendations!
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Most effective suppressor for use with 9mm 115 gr. FMJ ammo?

Post by JasonNC »

I have a lot of different 9/45 suppressors and with all of them, the difference between 115 grain and +147 grain is significant with each of them. 115 grain has given me a loud crack no matter the host or suppressor while 147 grain or higher has been hearing safe and fun to shoot. You can find subsonic 9mm ammo for around $12-$13 a box if you keep your eye out and IMO, its worth the extra couple bucks you'd pay no matter what silencer you choose. If you want hearing safe with standard ammo, then go with a 45 as its all naturally subsonic.
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

I don't know the answer to your question but I did shoot an Obsidian yesterday at the NFA Review Channel shoot. I was able to try it on a USP 45 and a 9mm M&P running AE subsonic.

I have been wanting this can and now can honestly say I would not hesitate to buy it. VERY quiet ! Can't imagine it not performing with the 115's.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

If you get down to around a 2" barrel your 115 will be subsonic.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
Pat M
Silent But Deadly

Post by Pat M »

Have shot a few rounds in 9mm pistol with SilencerCo Osprey. Was very impressed - ? may not be the one if you you don't need Nelson devise (? though Barretta may not need a Nelsonto cycle correctly )
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Ever since I started shooting suppressed, I cared less about my 115/124gr ammo. Never bothered to replenish them. It's all about the 147 and 158gr subsonic ammo now.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Hned wrote:... it would be my ideal scenario to still use this ammo with a can and, perhaps aside from the initial supersonic pop of each round, achieve "hearing safe" levels. Is this even possible? ...
The muzzle report will be hearing safe, the bullet travel will not.

Shoot 115gr suppressed outdoors and you'll think "that wasn't very quiet".

Shoot 115gr suppressed indoors and you'll think "f*k that was loud".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895