New to silencers - help please

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Big Tex

New to silencers - help please

Post by Big Tex »

Ok I have shot silencers one time in my life about 4 years ago at a range. I had no intention of getting into silencers.

Through a series of fortunate events I now have 2. I won in different raffles.

I'm at the point of creating my trust and sending off the forms and tax to the BATFE.

So what do I need to know about this process? Haven't sent any paperwork yet.

The silencers are a Sparrow 22 and a YHM 5.56 Titanium threaded.

What about these silencers do I need to know? I have AR-15, AR-57, 10-22 (not threaded). I don't have any threaded .22.

So, I'm just getting started, any help is appreciated. Thanks.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to silencers - help please

Post by poikilotrm »

I own Sparrow and can't recommend it enough. I use a Ruger .22/.45 as a host. It can handle 5.7 and .22 magnum, but nothing heavier.

I did my paperwork on paper, but there is a way to electronically file now. One of the other guys will explain that to you.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

poikilotrm wrote:I own Sparrow and can't recommend it enough. I use a Ruger .22/.45 as a host. It can handle 5.7 and .22 magnum, but nothing heavier.

I did my paperwork on paper, but there is a way to electronically file now. One of the other guys will explain that to you.
Electronic filing of Form 4s went away a couple of years ago, and I don't see it coming back anytime soon.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Big Tex wrote:Ok I have shot silencers one time in my life about 4 years ago at a range. I had no intention of getting into silencers.

Through a series of fortunate events I now have 2. I won in different raffles.

I'm at the point of creating my trust and sending off the forms and tax to the BATFE.

So what do I need to know about this process? Haven't sent any paperwork yet.

The silencers are a Sparrow 22 and a YHM 5.56 Titanium threaded.

What about these silencers do I need to know? I have AR-15, AR-57, 10-22 (not threaded). I don't have any threaded .22.

So, I'm just getting started, any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Your dealer should walk you through the filing process. If he won't, find another.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Where are these 2 cans right now? And what state are you in?
Big Tex

Post by Big Tex »

they're both at the dealer in Texas. I'm in Texas
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

AlabamaPaul wrote:...
Your dealer should walk you through the filing process. If he won't, find another.
He won them in a raffle, he probably doesn't have much choice on which dealer.

But the point about the dealer should be able to help with the process is valid.
Big Tex wrote:...
Threaded 10/22 barrels can be picked up at Brownell's or other places and finding a smith to thread your existing barrel shouldn't be an issue either. Texas is big, there are a few of us in different parts of Texas, if you could narrow it down to a zip code people might have suggestions on the smith.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Smokecloud

Post by Smokecloud »

1/2x28 is the most common thread pattern for both .22lr and .223/5.56 and is more likely than not, what both of your suppressors are threaded for. Make sure that is what both of your cans are, then match up your barrel threading to them when ordering. The biggest mistake is buying a cheap threaded barrel and throwing your suppressor on it, expecting that it will line up correctly. You want to make sure that your suppressor is aligned correctly on the barrel before you fire it. More than one cheaply threaded barrel has destroyed a baffle on the suppressor. You can have any of your current barrels threaded by a good gun smith, or mail them off to a reputable company that threads barrels for suppressors. The cost usually runs between $50-$100 plus shipping. The sooner you get your paperwork off to ATF, the better, especially if you are trying to do a trust. The laws are changing very soon (June) and its going to become more complicated to get through the paperwork process.
Big Tex

Post by Big Tex »

Thanks for the help. both are 1/2x28. Roger that on the trust issue.

I live around Llano and work in Round Rock, if that helps. Spend a lot of time around Kerrville and San Antonio too.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Houston-ish here so I can't recommend a smith nearby but maybe someone else can help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

Why do you think you need a trust. You can own them as a person?
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.