Any plans to upgrade the 7.62 cans to SS?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

steezo757

Any plans to upgrade the 7.62 cans to SS?

Post by steezo757 »

Just curious....Since the 5.56 cans are coming in SS now, does YHM plan to make the 7.62 can in SS.
dpkdavis

7.62 in Stainless Steel

Post by dpkdavis »

I call YHM the other day and they said the 7.62 should be out in Stainless Steel in Feb.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Fast decision, I called them a couple weeks ago and they said they were "thinking about it".

After the BS I've dealt with from them so far, I'm not sure I'll bother to get on the list for this one...
gunnut284

Post by gunnut284 »

Any news on this? I'm waiting for the SS version.
johnshiredman

Post by johnshiredman »

Getting ready to buy the Phantom for use with 7mm-08 in an Encore pistol and Carbine platform. If it is going to be more than a few months for the SS and I am indecisive about waiting that long, it might help me to know...What are all the benefits of SS over Chrome Moly? I know it is less weight, which would be great for use on the Encore pistol. Is it more durable (longer lifespan expected), rated for full auto (if I would ever put it on an AR and shoot a clip), easier to keep clean, etc...

Would you wait or just go with the Chrome Molly? Thanks for the input.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

It's more durable and easier to clean, if one is inclined to clean a centerfire can.

I want one because I wouldn't have to worry quite so much about rust.
hidoa

Post by hidoa »

Anyone heard of any update to this??
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

YHM is retooling to crank out the SS/Inconel Phantom 7.62s as we speak. They should be available within a month, or so (same price as the current version). :P
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

MAJ MALFUNCTION wrote:YHM is retooling to crank out the SS/Inconel Phantom 7.62s as we speak. They should be available within a month, or so (same price as the current version). :P
Crap, now I gotta order another can from them.

Not because the Phantom is all that great, but I've gone to the trouble of getting set up to use the QD system already. May as well ride it into the ground...
mutineer

Post by mutineer »

sure I ordered a 7.62 a while ago and it's sitting at the dealer waiting for paper work to clear and now they come out with SS for the same price. :x just my luck
johnshiredman

7.62 upgrade to SS possibility same as mite?

Post by johnshiredman »

My Phantom 7.62 is waiting at the dealer for the approval to come back as well; I purchased it and sent in the paperwork mid May. I was trying to hold out for the SS, but went ahead anyways (not knowing if it would be months or years before SS 7.62 would be released). So the question is...will it be possible to upgrade to SS in the future (if desired) like some are doing with the mite right now? If so, will it be more expensive to do because it's a sealed can? I am not sure if I should be upset with myself for not waiting (especially since price will be the same) or just be happy that I will hopefully have my first can soon!

J
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

It is unlikely that you can upgrade to SS without paying a new $200 transfer tax, since the upgrade would require a new SS tube.