Constructing a Cover Yourself Firesleeve/Heatshield?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

uaspilot

Constructing a Cover Yourself Firesleeve/Heatshield?

Post by uaspilot »

Hello,
I already own a mirage wrap from a well know manufacturer but wanted to purchase a couple more for other suppressors. Being on a budget, I am unable at the moment to shell out $100 per suppressor. After looking at the construction of a lot of covers they seem to be just asbestos mat covered in a high temp silicone.

My question is, has anyone tried to use Firesleeve/Heatshield or any of its other numerous names? More specifically Aerospace rated products?

Internal is fiberglass with silicone exterior. It seems to be similar material and specs as many of the brands being sold

If you can purchase a foot of this for under $20 and purchase a premade wrap for around $25, you would have a relatively inexpensive cover that's comparable to the $100 ones that are sold.

Meets the FAA AS 1072 requirement - 500F continuous 2200F, for periods of 15 minutes and capable of excursions to 3000F.

* I removed the company name from the post out of respect for the company. Good product but expensive for those on a budget. I also removed the link from where I purchased the fireshield due to the fact I am not trying to promote sales of any particular supplier.
Last edited by uaspilot on Fri May 06, 2016 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
uaspilot

Re: Constructing a Cover Yourself Firesleeve?

Post by uaspilot »

No one has replied but I'll post what I have found in case anyone is interested. The foot section of aerospace firesleeve arrived and after comparing it to my purchased cover it seems to be the exact same. If anyone wants more details or pictures I can provide them
Will_M
Silent Operator

Re: Constructing a Cover Yourself Firesleeve/Heatshield?

Post by Will_M »

Please do. I'm interested.
Ericbc7

Post by Ericbc7 »

+1 :)
cmac

Post by cmac »

I would like that information also.
uaspilot

Post by uaspilot »

I apologize for the delay in responding, I wanted to test the material out several times before posting. The aerospace heat shield is has one less layer than a heat wrap and more closely resembles some manufactures mirage covers. Regardless, I have tested it out several times and it has worked great. I mostly use my suppressor while on the bench, firing on estimate one round every 5-7 seconds. At this rate the cover felt warm after 40-50 rounds but was not uncomfortable to handle. If you plan on trying this with a bolt action rifle or if you shoot around the same rate as I did you should be ok. I wouldn't recommend it for mag dumps or long sustained rates of fire.

I purchased the insulation from here http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... eslvft.php. I required the 1.5 inch diameter, but smaller sizes are available.

For the outer sleeve I used https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/rif ... leeve.html. If anyone knows a cheaper alternative please share.

Here are pictures of material next to the thicker H.A.D cover. I did not have access to the M.A.D.

Any suggestions or ways to improve please share, it is a work in progress. If a good quality, cheap outer material can be found than there is no reason you cant have a well functioning item for under $30.00

kashed420

Post by kashed420 »

Awesome, thanks so much for posting it up again. going to get a couple for my cans
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

Did you buy the one whose I.D. matched the O.D. of your can, or did you get the one that is 1/8" (0.125") larger?

mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
GSPKurt

Post by GSPKurt »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191684472806?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

This it what I just received yesterday. Works perfectly, $40 shipped.
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

I bought the industrial firesleeve - $6.42 - $10.43 a linear foot.

mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
cvasqu03
Silent Operator

Post by cvasqu03 »

Well done. This looks like a great way to save some bucks and still get a professional looking cover.

Did you ever consider making a core yourself? Back when I first got into suppressors, I purchased a small fiberglass welding blanket which I cut down and hemmed to make a small towel that I could use to handle my hot suppressors and lay them on while they cooled. I always thought if I had time, it might be cool to try to make a suppressor cover from this material (I have plenty) but since it's light tan in color, and has very thick fibers, it would require some work to make it look presentable. It also might not turn out to be optimal anyway.
GSPKurt

Post by GSPKurt »

GSPKurt wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/191684472806?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

This it what I just received yesterday. Works perfectly, $40 shipped.
+1. I did, too...