Do mfrs have to pay $200?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

savage54

Do mfrs have to pay $200?

Post by savage54 »

I was wondering, do manufacturers have to file a Form 1 and pay $200 for each suppressor that they build? Or is that covered somehow by their annual SOT?

If they have to pay the same $200 as we do, how can Silencer Shop sell Radical Firearms rimfire suppressors for $211? There's not enough room for cost of materials, equipment, packaging, shipping, etc.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Do mfrs have to pay $200?

Post by RPM509 »

Covered under their license.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

savage54 wrote:I was wondering, do manufacturers have to file a Form 1 and pay $200 for each suppressor that they build? Or is that covered somehow by their annual SOT?

If they have to pay the same $200 as we do, how can Silencer Shop sell Radical Firearms rimfire suppressors for $211? There's not enough room for cost of materials, equipment, packaging, shipping, etc.
We're paying a $200 tax stamp, they pay an annual tax to avoid paying the stamp tax rate.
chevrofreak
Silent But Deadly

Post by chevrofreak »

They also don't need an approved form 1 to build anything. They're authorised to build anything they legally can, in any quantity they want, as along as they register it with the ATF by the close of the next business day.
"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem". (Whosoever desires peace prepares for war; no one provokes, nor dares to offend, those who they know to be superior in battle.)
savage54

Post by savage54 »

All,

Thanks for confirming. I figured it had to be that their annual SOT covered that.