MPX suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

cpc989

MPX suppressor

Post by cpc989 »

I've searched the forums but wanted to get some opinions about a good suppressor for the MPX. I like the idea of the obsidian since it could serve double on my 300 blk.

I read Trooper's experience with the Thompson and was wondering how much more quiet a larger 9mm suppressor like that would be over the obsidian which by all accounts suppresses 9mm pretty well.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Re: MPX suppressor

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Either an Obsidian or SilencerCo Omega 9K is what you seek.
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

Omega 9K meters almost the same on a MPX as the Obsidian in long. It blows the Obsidian in short out of the water.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
chase
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase »

Joshua@CapitolArmory wrote:Omega 9K meters almost the same on a MPX as the Obsidian in long. It blows the Obsidian in short out of the water.
Do you have any decibel data on using an Omega 9K on an MPX with a 13.5X1LH piston vs the 13.5X1LH direct thread mount? I suspect the direct thread mount provides more expansion volume before the blast baffle and hence should be quieter. Or does it matter?
Chase

suppressortools.com
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

chase wrote:Do you have any decibel data on using an Omega 9K on an MPX with a 13.5X1LH piston vs the 13.5X1LH direct thread mount? I suspect the direct thread mount provides more expansion volume before the blast baffle and hence should be quieter. Or does it matter?
It matters in that a larger first expansion chamber should positively affect the amount of blowback. Not sure what benefits it would give to suppression... although the general rule is that more overall volume is better than less overall volume, ceteris paribus.
chase
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase »

Makes sense.
Thanks!
Chase

suppressortools.com
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

Blast chamber volume matters a bunch. It is opposite of what you are thinking though. In handgun calibers, rim fires, and sub sonic rifle loads you want as little blast chamber as possible, on high velocity rifle rounds generally the hotter the round the more blast chamber you want, a larger blast chamber will also benefit semi auto rifles shooting rifle cartridges but not handgun or sub sonic rounds.
Joe
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
chase
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase »

OK, so what you are saying is that it would be better to use a piston and fixed barrel spacer on the Omega 9k with the MPX with a 4.5" barrel since it's a pistol cartridge?
Chase

suppressortools.com
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

[quote="chase"]OK, so what you are saying is that it would be better to use a piston and fixed barrel spacer on the Omega 9k with the MPX with a 4.5" barrel since it's a pistol cartridge?[/quote
That I am not sure about I have never had my hands on an Omega 9K, I was just elaborating blast chamber volume in general.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

curtistactical wrote:... a larger blast chamber will also benefit semi auto rifles shooting rifle cartridges but not handgun or sub sonic rounds.
Joe
What is "benefit"? Benefit it in terms of suppression? Or in terms of blow-back? Or both?
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

TROOPER wrote:
curtistactical wrote:... a larger blast chamber will also benefit semi auto rifles shooting rifle cartridges but not handgun or sub sonic rounds.
Joe
What is "benefit"? Benefit it in terms of suppression? Or in terms of blow-back? Or both?
On a semi auto with high pressure rifle cartridge the larger blast chamber will reduce blow back and will not hurt suppression. If you are running a handgun cartridge you will see more first round pop the larger the blast chamber is. Our 9mm suppressor is designed with a .43" blast chamber and works excellent on 9mm and 300blk subs and supers but with the super sonic on the AR you do get more blow back than our 762 suppressor which has a 1.38" blast chamber.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I'm not a silencer professional. I don't play a silencer professional on television. Heck, I didn't even stay at a "Best Western" last night.

... but, I have a 3-inch barrel on my MPX. It's gas-piston, and at least according to the internet, it is 'over-gassed'. I favor a big sub-gun, large blast-chamber silencer because the sooner I can reduce chamber pressure, the more I can reduce the 'over-gas' effect.

Does it hurt suppression? I don't know. The only other silencer I've put on this particular gun/configuration is a very old AAC Evo-9, which is a "classic" baffle handgun silencer... meaning that it has ordinary external dimensions. I haven't noticed a specific difference in between the SG-2 and the Evo-9.

Point being; I think the larger blast chamber is a benefit for my setup.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

TROOPER wrote:I'm not a silencer professional. I don't play a silencer professional on television. Heck, I didn't even stay at a "Best Western" last night.

... but, I have a 3-inch barrel on my MPX. It's gas-piston, and at least according to the internet, it is 'over-gassed'. I favor a big sub-gun, large blast-chamber silencer because the sooner I can reduce chamber pressure, the more I can reduce the 'over-gas' effect.

Does it hurt suppression? I don't know. The only other silencer I've put on this particular gun/configuration is a very old AAC Evo-9, which is a "classic" baffle handgun silencer... meaning that it has ordinary external dimensions. I haven't noticed a specific difference in between the SG-2 and the Evo-9.

Point being; I think the larger blast chamber is a benefit for my setup.
I have heard the same thing with the MPX being over gassed, all of the suppressors I have done on them have had the ported barrel integral and I didn't notice any over gassing, it just might be a different story with a thread on can because the ported barrel dumps pressure really quick.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
chase
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase »

I have decided to have both piston and direct thread hardware and then meter each one myself. Of course, there aren't any 13.5mmX1LH Octane direct thread mounts available anywhere on Earth right now...
Chase

suppressortools.com
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

chase wrote:I have decided to have both piston and direct thread hardware and then meter each one myself. Of course, there aren't any 13.5mmX1LH Octane direct thread mounts available anywhere on Earth right now...
Let us know the results, I am always curious how different cans react to changes like that.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
chase
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase »

Will do. It will be awhile due to Form 4 wait plus the mount being out of stock.
Chase

suppressortools.com
jjasonjllim

Post by jjasonjllim »

What about Sig's SRD9 or other Sig offerings?