Who does good raised sight work?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

cvasqu03
Silent Operator

Who does good raised sight work?

Post by cvasqu03 »

Now that I've pretty much decided which guns I'll normally be using with which suppressors, I find myself needing to raise the sights on two pistols. One is a Taurus PT99, the other is a full size double stack 1911 type 45.

Does anyone know of any company that provides this service? I've seen a couple of products at Brownells, but both seem to require the cutting of a dovetail which I'm not currently able to do.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Re: Who does good raised sight work?

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Cutting a dovetail is basic for any gunsmith who deserves to be called one. Another option that will cost about the same as machine work and new sights is the crimson trace laser grips. I went that route on my 1911, sig P220 and CZ-75 and like the results. A pistol can to me is mostly a range toy, maybe home defense and the laser works well for either. I'm using a Revo 45 and the beams clear it easily.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
cvasqu03
Silent Operator

Post by cvasqu03 »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:Cutting a dovetail is basic for any gunsmith who deserves to be called one. Another option that will cost about the same as machine work and new sights is the crimson trace laser grips. I went that route on my 1911, sig P220 and CZ-75 and like the results. A pistol can to me is mostly a range toy, maybe home defense and the laser works well for either. I'm using a Revo 45 and the beams clear it easily.

I'd think there'd be a bit more to it than just cutting dovetails though wouldn't there? First off, who makes raised sights? Like I said, I didn't find too many options and was hoping someone out there actually did the work and either made their own or had some source for them. Also, wouldn't there need to be some sighting in to make sure they're appropriate?
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Ok, the long version. On a 1911 both the front and rear sight can be removed, but there are many different types of mounting systems depending upon the gun you have. Your front sight might have a dovetail, it might get inserted and staked from undeneath, or something rare like the millet two hole setup. Raising the sights are really, almost always, replacing them with higher sights, sometimes called suppressor sights. Often on older 1911's the start of the upgrade is milling the slide to accept the sights you want installed but dont match your existing setup.

Some pistols have fixed sights either front, back or both and must be milled with a dovetail or have something attacked by torch, welding, tap and screw etc. Your Taurus has a small band over the barrel that the front sight is part of and can be tricky to modify.

You don't need some super specialized shop, just a decent local gunsmith to explain your options and do the work.

The reason Brownells might seem confusing, is the are a company for gunsmiths so discriptions assume the person knows what they are looking at with little explanation.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
ohnomrbillk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ohnomrbillk »

JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

Check Dawson Precision for the sights you want.