Thinking of getting Centerfire Suppressor - Help Please

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

DaveJTR

Thinking of getting Centerfire Suppressor - Help Please

Post by DaveJTR »

I received the stamp for my AAC Element 2 a few weeks ago, and I'm hooked. The AAC Element 2 is known for having very little FRP, if any at all, and is known for being one of the best, if not the best, suppressor for pistols, which is what I use it for.

I'm thinking of getting a 45 Ti-rant because "they" say it's the best. Are there any centerfire suppressors that, like the AAC Element 2, have very little, or no, FRP? Does the Osprey have FRP? The Sparrow definitely does for the 22.

In a nutshell: quietest 45 suppressor with no FRP?
savage54

Re: Thinking of getting Centerfire Suppressor - Help Please

Post by savage54 »

Not sure how they compare in terms of FRP, but you might want to consider something like an Octane 45 or the Rugged Obsidian or Dead Air Ghost. I believe (ready to be corrected if I'm wrong) that all of these have stainless steel baffles. This makes it much easier to clean than the TiRant, which has aluminum baffles (other than the blast baffle, which is stainless). The aluminum baffles pretty much have to be cleaned by hand with bronze brushes and scraping, while the SS baffles can be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner, or the dip, or tumbled in SS pins.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

The Ti-rant 45M is a titanium tube, baffles B-5 are stainless, 6-9 are aluminum.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
savage54

Post by savage54 »

RPM509 wrote:The Ti-rant 45M is a titanium tube, baffles B-5 are stainless, 6-9 are aluminum.
OK. They must have changed since the original TiRant 45. Pretty sure that only the blast baffle was stainless on that one. Still, those last four aluminum baffles in the 45M will require a lot more manual attention when cleaning than the stainless baffles available in other suppressors.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

It has changed since the original Ti-rant. The M is for modular, so you can shoot it in a K, or short configuration also.
I suspect that since the aluminum cans are out, away from the muzzle, they won't get that dirty to begin with.
Mine is in jail still, so I can't speak with certainty on it just yet, but this coming weekend I intend on making a
conjugal visit with it.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

According to the 45M manual, the Tirant baffle stack is still the same... 1 SS blast baffle and 8 Al ones. And the removable front tube is Al, not Ti.

The grey and black colors don't indicate steel or aluminum. There's no mistaking the steel blast baffle from the others; it's much heavier.

Was hoping AAC did improve the stack with more SS baffles... I would've definitely sent in my original Tirant 45 for an upgrade :P
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

DaveJTR wrote:In a nutshell: quietest 45 suppressor with no FRP?
Obsidian 45 or Octane 45

FRP exists to some degree in all silencers, pistols and rifles, whether you hear it or not.
Generally, FRP is more pronounced in monocore cans than ones with individual baffles.

The Osprey is monocore and can't be disassembled either.
I suggest not getting a Tirant since they have mostly aluminum baffles. Their heydays were back in the 2009-2012 timeframe. Still love mine though regardless :mrgreen:

All modern pistol/rimfire cans today have stainless steel baffles... way more durable and easier to clean.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

rimshaker wrote:According to the 45M manual, the Tirant baffle stack is still the same... 1 SS blast baffle and 8 Al ones. And the removable front tube is Al, not Ti.

The grey and black colors don't indicate steel or aluminum. There's no mistaking the steel blast baffle from the others; it's much heavier.

Was hoping AAC did improve the stack with more SS baffles... I would've definitely sent in my original Tirant 45 for an upgrade :P
I am a little disappointed with this news, but not a deal breaker for me. Guess I'm happy about the light weight...
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

savage54 wrote:Not sure how they compare in terms of FRP, but you might want to consider something like an Octane 45 or the Rugged Obsidian or Dead Air Ghost. I believe (ready to be corrected if I'm wrong) that all of these have stainless steel baffles. This makes it much easier to clean than the TiRant, which has aluminum baffles (other than the blast baffle, which is stainless). The aluminum baffles pretty much have to be cleaned by hand with bronze brushes and scraping, while the SS baffles can be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner, or the dip, or tumbled in SS pins.
One of my cans has aluminum baffles. I hate cleaning aluminum. If it were me, I'd sacrifice the weight and cost penalty. No more aluminum for me.