My suppressor arrived at my SOT on July 13th What next?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

BimotaBiker

My suppressor arrived at my SOT on July 13th What next?

Post by BimotaBiker »

A suppressor that I ordered 6 weeks ago arrived at my SOT on July 13th. Neither one of us are 100% sure how to deal with the new Form 4. I register all of my NFA items to my Trust which has been in existence for over 4.5 years. The Trust is set up to handle my entire estate and is not just a "gun trust." I am the Grantor and the sole Trustee. Do I now need to submit a photo as well as a finger print card when these are sent to the ATF?
BimotaBiker

Re: My suppressor arrived at my SOT on July 13th What next?

Post by BimotaBiker »

I do, however, have a successor trustee and beneficiaries.
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Post by glocker17 »

Yes you do
BimotaBiker

Post by BimotaBiker »

Do I also have to fill out a Form 5320.23?
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

BimotaBiker wrote:Do I also have to fill out a Form 5320.23?
All new rules apply now.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Uggh, worst date ever for it to arrive. Guess you're one of the first guinea pigs for the new process.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

If you really don't feel like doing prints and photos for everyone you could file as an individual
BimotaBiker

Post by BimotaBiker »

I think that's the way I'll go this time around. Looks like filing as an individual will be quite a bit easier.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

BimotaBiker wrote:I think that's the way I'll go this time around. Looks like filing as an individual will be quite a bit easier.
Create a new trust with no co-trustees, one photo, and a set of FPs. Once approved, amend the trust to add whoever you desire as co-trustees. Rinse and repeat for more toys...
BimotaBiker

Post by BimotaBiker »

AlabamaPaul wrote:
BimotaBiker wrote:I think that's the way I'll go this time around. Looks like filing as an individual will be quite a bit easier.
Create a new trust with no co-trustees, one photo, and a set of FPs. Once approved, amend the trust to add whoever you desire as co-trustees. Rinse and repeat for more toys...

I could do just that, but what benefit does it provide? The primary reason that many utilized trusts were to avoid the local law enforcement signature (as well as the photo and fingerprint cards). Now that the Transferee is only required to notify local law enforcement, my trust does little or nothing to benefit me. Or am I missing something?
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

BimotaBiker wrote:
AlabamaPaul wrote:

I could do just that, but what benefit does it provide? The primary reason that many utilized trusts were to avoid the local law enforcement signature (as well as the photo and fingerprint cards). Now that the Transferee is only required to notify local law enforcement, my trust does little or nothing to benefit me. Or am I missing something?
I would allow you to add other users (co-trustees) after approval and keep the items out of probate upon your demise.
BimotaBiker

Post by BimotaBiker »

Quote: I would allow you to add other users (co-trustees) after approval and keep the items out of probate upon your demise.

My father passed seven years ago and also had a trust which included successor trustees and beneficiaries and we still ended up in probate. His estate is just now being brought to a conclusion.