best .22 semi auto for suppressor ?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

beagle1

best .22 semi auto for suppressor ?

Post by beagle1 »

My new element 2 isn't going to fit on my Remington 552 because I won't be able to load the tubular magazine. Dang, its the most dependable .22 I've found as I don't have to worry about finding just the right ammo to feed-- as I've had to do with 10/22 & marlin actions.
Anyway, I'm guessing a 10/22 will be the answer and if so what build is best for general hunting and plinking. Accuracy is always mandatory. cost not much of a factor.
thanks
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: best .22 semi auto for suppressor ?

Post by TROOPER »

This is hearsay, so it may or may not be true. But I have heard that some 10/22s are picky with subsonic... which you'll almost certainly want to use. On the other hand, there is a ton of after-market support for the 10/22, and it is a certainty that it can be made to work with subsonic ammo. There's also a lot of factory support too, which is really nice.

I myself have a Sig 522, and the rifle can't tell the difference between subsonic and supersonic ammo. The action is nice. On the downside, it's rather bulky for a 22. That said, I shoot it... I don't hike with it.

Were I to do it all over, I think I would get a Ruger 10/22 "take-down", and modify it with factory and third-party parts until it was what I wanted it to be. It seems like it's a pleasure to shoot even despite it's compact size and imminent portability.

It took me a while to learn an important concept: buy the gun that best suits your need. Mind you, that's "need" and not "needs". "Do-all" guns end up being mediocre at everything, and not particularly good at anything. In light of that, identify the dominant purpose of your gun, then choose based on that one criteria.... use other criteria as 'tie-breakers'.
BimotaBiker

Post by BimotaBiker »

I have the SIG 522 and like it very much. I also invested in the Ruger Takedown that came from the factory with a threaded barrel/flash hider. It also serves me well.
smustian

Post by smustian »

With a few mods and polishing, the 10/22 will cycle anything. Also remember to use some Scotch Brite on the inside of the receiver to smooth it out as well. Liquid Wrench dry lube is also recommended instead of oil.
5th_Amendment

Post by 5th_Amendment »

I bought a SiCo Warlock II just before 41F took effect. Lol ... I don't own a .22 Pistol. What do you gentlemen recommend? Warlock is black in color ... so thinking a polymer or blued gun would look better. What's reliable and sexy?
Exercising my right to remain silent.

New Hampshire: "Live free, or die."
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

5th_Amendment wrote:I bought a SiCo Warlock II just before 41F took effect. Lol ... I don't own a .22 Pistol. What do you gentlemen recommend? Warlock is black in color ... so thinking a polymer or blued gun would look better. What's reliable and sexy?
22/45 Lite.
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mars »

AlabamaPaul wrote:
5th_Amendment wrote:I bought a SiCo Warlock II just before 41F took effect. Lol ... I don't own a .22 Pistol. What do you gentlemen recommend? Warlock is black in color ... so thinking a polymer or blued gun would look better. What's reliable and sexy?
22/45 Lite.
i agree with this. you bought a light can, put it on a light gun.
the POWPOW now goes powpow
0101silent
Silent But Deadly

Post by 0101silent »

--
Last edited by 0101silent on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

I love semi autos, but when it was time to pick a .22 rifle host for my Warlock II, I went bolt action. It eats whatever ammo including CCI Quiets and Remington CBee caps.

Even with CCI Standard Velocity the thing is so stupid quiet that I still can't help but giggle a little. Plus it keeps me from having to clean the Warlock as often.

Some food for thought
5th_Amendment

Post by 5th_Amendment »

Lol ... giggle quiet is exactly what I hope to get from my Warlock II. BIG SMILE just thinking about it ...
Exercising my right to remain silent.

New Hampshire: "Live free, or die."
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

5th_Amendment wrote:Lol ... giggle quiet is exactly what I hope to get from my Warlock II. BIG SMILE just thinking about it ...
It's a heck of a can for the money. Great performer. Many don't like the aluminum, but it fits a niche and does it well. You'll be pleased.
BlogSarge
Silent Operator

Post by BlogSarge »

I'm with quiet time. I got a Savage MKII FV-SR suppressor ready bolt gun for under 300 bucks. It comes with a 16" pre-threaded barrel, is stupid quiet and groups phenomenally tight, especially for the low cost. I have a Warlock II on it as well and love it.
beagle1

Post by beagle1 »

thanks all. looking at a 10/22 model 11165. Like the factory stock and feel of the gun. Think I will just cut down and thread the factory barrel and get a trigger job and see where that gets me.
tootall

Post by tootall »

So you have landed on the rifle, if you are thinking of a pistol as well here is my recommendation:

S&W 22 compact... get the standard one and buy the EWK sparrow thread adapter.

This provides a near Shield like form factor and is sub-sonic with all ammo. Give you a practical 22 to use to practice with a similar feel to a small defensive gun. The EWK sparrow version has NO threads for the first 0.1" or so, as a result, you pretty much CAN NOT damage the threads (i.e. don't really need thread protector. The threadless area is intended for the o-ring used in the sparrow and it does work). Also the EWK uses a common 1/4" allen hex wrench. This is a VERY good combo (IMHO)...

I have a few of these with sparrows (the silent SR looks like a great can, no first round pop)...

FYI, I have integral Ruger MkIIs suppressed and the M&P 22 compact is a much more useful solution (and you can move the can to 10/22, etc...)

my 2c
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

For a light can I recommend a light rifle, like the new Ruger 10/22 Takedown LITE. It shoots just as tight as my 30 year old tricked out standard 10/22 at a significant weight reduction.

- change it back -