Don't Want My Harvester

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

GSPKurt

Don't Want My Harvester

Post by GSPKurt »

I think I made a mistake when I bought my SilCo Harvester 30. I didn't know it was limited to 10 rounds/min. I have not received the stamp yet. I'm screwed, aren't I?
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Don't Want My Harvester

Post by mbogo »

I don't see that anywhere in their documentation. What is your source for the "10 rounds a minute" limit?

mbogo
Last edited by mbogo on Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

The Harvester is meant to be a hunting rifle suppressor and not meant for use on tactical firearms. If you bought it to use on an AR or something like that, then unfortunately you made a poor choice. If you plan on using it on a bolt action rifle, etc. I think you'll be OK. My friend just bought a Harvester to use on his hunting rifles having already owned a YHM M2 QD .30 can that he uses on all of his semi auto rifles. The Harvester is extremely light weight and offers good sound suppression so I don't feel like its a bad choice at all to purchase, but the application has to be taken into account.
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
GSPKurt

Post by GSPKurt »

mbogo wrote:I don't see that anywhere in their documentation. What is your source for the "10 rounds a minute" limit?

mbogo
I emailed SilCo and that was their answer.
GSPKurt

Post by GSPKurt »

JasonNC wrote:The Harvester is meant to be a hunting rifle suppressor and not meant for use on tactical firearms. If you bought it to use on an AR or something like that, then unfortunately you made a poor choice. If you plan on using it on a bolt action rifle, etc. I think you'll be OK. My friend just bought a Harvester to use on his hunting rifles having already owned a YHM M2 QD .30 can that he uses on all of his semi auto rifles. The Harvester is extremely light weight and offers good sound suppression so I don't feel like its a bad choice at all to purchase, but the application has to be taken into account.
Yes, it is my fault. I went in for another Omega, but it was sold. I bought the Harvester as a substitute, not being familiar with it.
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

May I ask how you intended to use the Harvester? Full-auto? 3-gun?

The Harvester still may work for you.

mbogo
GSPKurt

Post by GSPKurt »

mbogo wrote:May I ask how you intended to use the Harvester? Full-auto? 3-gun?

The Harvester still may work for you.

mbogo
It is to be attached to an AR for pig hunting/home defense. It will probably be OK, I'm just worried that I may damage it if I get into a sounder and start cranking off the rounds.
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

You'll be fine. I doubt you can get 11 shots off at a sounder of pigs that isn't penned up; they tend to scatter at the first or second shot and won't stick around for a minute.

Generally speaking, manufacturers will be cautious in their statements so as to avoid liability.

mbogo
GSPKurt

Post by GSPKurt »

mbogo wrote:You'll be fine. I doubt you can get 11 shots off at a sounder of pigs that isn't penned up; they tend to scatter at the first or second shot and won't stick around for a minute.

Generally speaking, manufacturers will be cautious in their statements so as to avoid liability.

mbogo
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

You will enjoy the lower weight.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

GSPKurt

Post by GSPKurt »

samson7x wrote:You will be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWGvMV45C5s
:D THANK YOU! :D

I loved that video.
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mars »

samson7x wrote:You will be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWGvMV45C5s
back when all was right in the world.
the POWPOW now goes powpow
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

GSPKurt wrote:It is to be attached to an AR for pig hunting/home defense. It will probably be OK, I'm just worried that I may damage it if I get into a sounder and start cranking off the rounds.
The 10rd/min is for "sustained fire." 20rds in 2 minutes is about as fast as a person can reasonably expect to hit pigs and maintain any kind of accuracy. If you are fearing your safety. 30rd/min won't hurt. But the reload mag will be firing through a greatly weakened material state. The heat will 1/2 the hoop strength and lower the Safety Factor from 1.9 to <1.2. Maybe even 1.0, which means a 50% chance of deformation or rupture w each successive shot.

You could add an ablative media to assist in cooling. And wrap it w a wet rag. Both those should help retain material strength by relieving heat stresses.
---
PS. If you're looking to sell at a Discount, I'm interested. :mrgreen:
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Bradpierson26
Silent Operator

Post by Bradpierson26 »

GSPKurt wrote:
JasonNC wrote:The Harvester is meant to be a hunting rifle suppressor and not meant for use on tactical firearms. If you bought it to use on an AR or something like that, then unfortunately you made a poor choice. If you plan on using it on a bolt action rifle, etc. I think you'll be OK. My friend just bought a Harvester to use on his hunting rifles having already owned a YHM M2 QD .30 can that he uses on all of his semi auto rifles. The Harvester is extremely light weight and offers good sound suppression so I don't feel like its a bad choice at all to purchase, but the application has to be taken into account.
Yes, it is my fault. I went in for another Omega, but it was sold. I bought the Harvester as a substitute, not being familiar with it.
Impulse buying NFA items. I like your style

Are you in CO?
I'll buy it
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

didnt think CO had hogs.... if your in FL PM me maybe we can hunt sometime. I have a few tactics to route an entire sounder (10-15 hogs) with 3 guys. we used to do it every weekend but sadly I'm the only one left out of our trio... Risk of hunting with fellow vets, the suicide rate is very high.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

Joker31D wrote:didnt think CO had hogs....
You've obviously never been in a bar in Boulder, have you? :lol: :shock:
Joker31D wrote:Risk of hunting with fellow vets, the suicide rate is very high.
This is the worst failure (of many) of the Obama administration - the VA's disgraceful treatment of our veterans. :(

mbogo
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I'm the only one left from my last team, I have lost 7 Soldiers from my last Platoon in 5 years. Lost my best friend a month and a half ago. I lost one before we even got in country, he had deployed to the same COP before and couldnt take it. We did almost get over ran 3 times in 18 months there until we abandoned the Outpost, it was hell, we couldnt get enough water sling loaded in and ate MRE's most of the time. Showers were done with melted snow we ran in a melter we built from a picture I printed out before we got there.... The picture was from a Cavalry fort in New York, in the 1890's.... Yep pioneer style. My first day it was raining and I saw 30 guys run outside strip down and start rubbing soap on themselves. When that happened I said " holy s--t its like Laugh in.... Nobody got the joke but me.... (I saw reruns on nick at night, it was before my time too)

That place sucked. Luckily I was a floater so I was able to take my team in and out of that COP. I did buy a BBQ grill, solar panels, 10 kiddie pools, 200 cans of dip and 50 cartons of Cigarettes and donated them to the MWR footlockers they had at christmas.... I figured it was best to keep morale up, I bought it from my cash but the Battalion Chaplain reimbursed me later without me asking. (He sneaked into my bunk and took a peek at the receipt then left cash for me) I almost made a sneaky priest joke in front of the Battalion commander at the daily briefing until I looked around and he was standing in the doorway....funny as hell. Stuff like the Civil War era conditions for some of the guys while others ate Ice Cream and Pizza Hut really hurt Morale. But I digress..... sorry to Hijack with my ramblings.

I'm buying a Harvester down the road but the big bore because its cheap and will live in from of my 338 LM.

Was stationed at Ft Carson for a little while as a recruiter, man I hated that worse than deployments. I had to do a rotation while I waited for my Clearance Polygraph date. I didnt have a quota or anything and they really just left me alone and I filled in the the station Commander while he went to school. I just remember they had a quota and I bought drinks for the guys/girl when they got someone signed. We were drunk a whole lot there. but the weather sucked.

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mars »

Joker31D wrote:I'm the only one left from my last team, I have lost 7 Soldiers from my last Platoon in 5 years. Lost my best friend a month and a half ago. I lost one before we even got in country, he had deployed to the same COP before and couldnt take it. We did almost get over ran 3 times in 18 months there until we abandoned the Outpost, it was hell, we couldnt get enough water sling loaded in and ate MRE's most of the time. Showers were done with melted snow we ran in a melter we built from a picture I printed out before we got there.... The picture was from a Cavalry fort in New York, in the 1890's.... Yep pioneer style. My first day it was raining and I saw 30 guys run outside strip down and start rubbing soap on themselves. When that happened I said " holy s--t its like Laugh in.... Nobody got the joke but me.... (I saw reruns on nick at night, it was before my time too)

That place sucked. Luckily I was a floater so I was able to take my team in and out of that COP. I did buy a BBQ grill, solar panels, 10 kiddie pools, 200 cans of dip and 50 cartons of Cigarettes and donated them to the MWR footlockers they had at christmas.... I figured it was best to keep morale up, I bought it from my cash but the Battalion Chaplain reimbursed me later without me asking. (He sneaked into my bunk and took a peek at the receipt then left cash for me) I almost made a sneaky priest joke in front of the Battalion commander at the daily briefing until I looked around and he was standing in the doorway....funny as hell. Stuff like the Civil War era conditions for some of the guys while others ate Ice Cream and Pizza Hut really hurt Morale. But I digress..... sorry to Hijack with my ramblings.

I'm buying a Harvester down the road but the big bore because its cheap and will live in from of my 338 LM.

Was stationed at Ft Carson for a little while as a recruiter, man I hated that worse than deployments. I had to do a rotation while I waited for my Clearance Polygraph date. I didnt have a quota or anything and they really just left me alone and I filled in the the station Commander while he went to school. I just remember they had a quota and I bought drinks for the guys/girl when they got someone signed. We were drunk a whole lot there. but the weather sucked.
I hope the sayings don't get old for you but, thank you for your service, and I'm sorry for your loss.
the POWPOW now goes powpow
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

thank you my friend, I'm just re-focusing my life to helping vets that just need someone to talk to, just someone to go fishing with or to the range to have a good day in the pile of crappy ones.