Custom container/carry case for 10 suppressors

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Odd Job

Custom container/carry case for 10 suppressors

Post by Odd Job »

I need to make a container or have a container made, to safely store 10 suppressors in individual enclosures. When stored, the suppressors must not touch any part of the container except at the base thread. I can't secure them by means of a central rod through each suppressor because I must not disturb residues in the suppressor at all (except at the muzzle thread).

So, my idea is to get polyethylene panels and make a box from that. In the lid of the box, I will insert 10 brass bolts so that these threads face into the box. The suppressors will then simply be screwed onto those bolts. The main area of the box will be partitioned like a wine bottle case, which means the suppressors are transported and stored upside down, vertically at all times. I'm thinking of two rows of five...
The advantage is that I can see if any residues shake loose from the suppressors in transit. A second advantage is I can use the lid mounts to align these suppressors' long axes parallel to an X-ray detector in cases where the outside body of the suppressor is tapered (such as the Hausken Sk156).

Does anyone know where I can get hold of:

1) brass 1/2" x 28 nuts and bolts (UNEF)
2) brass 1/2" x 20 nuts and bolts (UNF)

I could use nylon also, but whatever it is, it must be softer than aluminium and not corrode at all.
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Re: Custom container/carry case for 10 suppressors

Post by Fulliautomatix »

I'd think that would be a real pain in the rear every time you want to take them out, or put them in.

How about a closed cell foam block with slightly undersized holes bored/cut into them. Get a tall Pelican case, and the cans would be suspended vertically in the foam.

Like Silencerco's conquest kit...

Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mars »

Fulliautomatix wrote:I'd think that would be a real pain in the rear every time you want to take them out, or put them in.

How about a closed cell foam block with slightly undersized holes bored/cut into them. Get a tall Pelican case, and the cans would be suspended vertically in the foam.
agree with this. you are making it harder on yourself. check this out...Image
the POWPOW now goes powpow
Odd Job

Post by Odd Job »

I can't use the foam case unfortunately. For two reasons:

1) I can't disturb residues on the end cap of the suppressor
2) I need to be able to see and collect any residues that fall out of each suppressor in transit

Also that box doesn't help me with the X-rays.
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

Ok, sounds like you're going to need a 'mission specific' container made for you. Are you involved in the T&E of ammunition & suppressors?

I did find this 1/2"-20tpi brass threaded rod on Amazon, and the nuts at fastenal.

https://www.amazon.com/Brass-Fully-Thre ... B00H2ZVV72 - Threaded rod
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/75161 - nut

1/2-28 is going to be pretty tough to find outside the suppressor world, might end up needing a machinist make it up for you.
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
Odd Job

Post by Odd Job »

Ok, sounds like you're going to need a 'mission specific' container made for you. Are you involved in the T&E of ammunition & suppressors?
Yep, see here:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/lead-dep ... 1-bertolli

Thanks for the links to the threaded rod, I will keep that in mind if I don't find set screws in that thread.