Suppressor cleaning and service life

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

5th_Amendment

Suppressor cleaning and service life

Post by 5th_Amendment »

I recently bought a SiCo Hybrid and Omega 9K just prior to the 41f trust change. I have a long wait before I can test my purchases. However, it occurrs to me that with the wait time, there's no time like the present to buy more NFA items as the wait isn't going to get shorter for awhile. A few questions:
1) The Hybrids specs are such that I see little need to buy a dedicated rifle can. All my conceivable rifle shooting will be 5.56 or 7.62 ... do I gain anything meaningful with a typical, dedicated rifle can such as Saker, Specwar or Omega?
2) I'm tempted to buy another Omega 9K as I have alot of 9mms as well as both MPX and Scorpion Evo. However, it's sealed. Should I care? Any thoughts on service life?
Exercising my right to remain silent.

New Hampshire: "Live free, or die."
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppressor cleaning and service life

Post by ericdraven »

i own 9 cans all servicable . personally i would never own a can i could not open up . with all the new cans and better cans and technology . go with a can you can self clean and open .
5th_Amendment

Post by 5th_Amendment »

WRT 9mm cans, I'm not aware of a "better" can in its size class. At 4.7" it's *tiny* and I love it. Still, its sealed. Any thoughts on service life? 10,000 or 20,000 rounds? I have no idea ... just trying to understand how a very good, sealed can is good or bad.

5th_Amendment

Post by 5th_Amendment »

One further consideration: I do not shoot cast lead bullets. Consequently, I'm on the fence whether a serviceable can is needed.

rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

If you already have a Hybrid, then no worries about getting a dedicated rifle can.

The Omega 9k is built very well. Especially with the Stellite blast baffle.
It supports 300 BLK supers down to an 8" barrel. This is a good indicator that it can also handle 556 with a standard 16" barrel (unofficially).

Being sealed is totally fine for the 9k. Just shoot BLK supers or 556 regularly to keep any buildups in check.
The only cans that truly need to be serviceable are the ones that support rimfire.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rimshaker wrote: Being sealed is totally fine for the 9k. Just shoot BLK supers or 556 regularly to keep any buildups in check.
The only cans that truly need to be serviceable are the ones that support rimfire.
Shooting some supers or 556 regularly does NOT inhibit buildup. Been testing that theory for a few years now and it ONLY works on removing the loose surface buildup, does nothing to the underlying.

All rimfire and pistol caliber cans should be serviceable regardless if it will support rimfire or not. They all get alot of buildup.

I am willing to venture that the Omega will start degrading in performance around 6-8K. As far as service life..... you will probably pass on before the can is destroyed.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Bendersquint wrote:
rimshaker wrote: Being sealed is totally fine for the 9k. Just shoot BLK supers or 556 regularly to keep any buildups in check.
Shooting some supers or 556 regularly does NOT inhibit buildup. Been testing that theory for a few years now and it ONLY works on removing the loose surface buildup, does nothing to the underlying.

All rimfire and pistol caliber cans should be serviceable regardless if it will support rimfire or not. They all get alot of buildup.
Are you referring to carbon, lead, or both? Lead is the ultimate enemy.

If shooting supers doesn't inhibit buildup, does it at least slow down the rate of accumulation?
5th_Amendment

Post by 5th_Amendment »

As I mentioned, I don't shoot lead in any centerfire rifle or pistol calibers. My guess is that both the Hybrid and Omega 9k will last decades with minor maintenance ... but I'm a newbie so looking for info. As for Rimfire, I also bought a SiCo Warlock II for .22 LR fun. User serviceability there makes sense.

Back to topic #1, sounds like there is no value in buying a dedicated rifle can vs. the Hybrid. Now, if only both weren't in jail. I hate waiting. And no conjugal visits. :cry:

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

There is plenty of value in owning a dedicated can for your caliber.

Dedicated cans are tuned for the caliber....uni cans are jacks of many trades and master of none.
5th_Amendment

Post by 5th_Amendment »

Bendersquint wrote:There is plenty of value in owning a dedicated can for your caliber.

Dedicated cans are tuned for the caliber....uni cans are jacks of many trades and master of none.
This is exactly my question. The Hybrid has amazing specs and I can change the end cap to a .22 cap. So ... precisely what additional value would a dedicated rifle can have? Can you be more specific?

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

5th_Amendment wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:There is plenty of value in owning a dedicated can for your caliber.

This is exactly my question. The Hybrid has amazing specs and I can change the end cap to a .22 cap. So ... precisely what additional value would a dedicated rifle can have? Can you be more specific?
Dedicated cans are smaller, lighter, tuned for the offered caliber, some are serviiceable. A dedicated caliber can will always be better than these universal cans that 'work' with multiple calibers.
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Post by John Titsworth »

Sealed up centerfire pistol cans are a thing of the past. After 5000 rounds they become MUCH louder because the geometry in the suppressor gets clogged up with carbon fouling. They will still work, but not provide as much sound reduction. Don't buy sealed up centerfire pistol cans, they are a dinosaur in the suppressor industry.