Shooting 22 out of 30cal....and then CLEANING..will this work?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

hbk80rice
Silent But Deadly

Shooting 22 out of 30cal....and then CLEANING..will this work?

Post by hbk80rice »

I have a 30 caliber can, a SilencerCo Omega, and since this can is sealed I clean it via an ultra sonic cleaner. I do have a 22 full auto rated can, Dead Air MASK HD, but it is not with me at my current location. I want to do a few mag dumps with the Omega but I know how dirty 22 is. I DO NOT want to mess up the Omega, as it has become my all-time favorite can, I HIGHLY Recommend it. I want to know if I shoot a few 300blkout rounds and full-power 223 after shooting some 22 out of it, will that blast out most of the crap or not? I will then be putting the can in the Ultra sonic for a regular maintenance cleaning but I know that it can be super dirty with 22lr. Is shooting the 300blk and 223 at the end a good way to clean it out, or is that an old wives tale/myth?
AAC- Evo-9, Pilot, Ti-Rant 9, M4-2000
Coastal Passport
SWD- M11, M11-A1, M11(NIB)
SiCo Omega
Arsenal 107ur
Fleming Trigger Pack
Chi-Com Norinco Type 56
PAWS Colt SP1
DeadAir MASK HD
Surefire Ryder Ti9
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: Shooting 22 out of 30cal....and then CLEANING..will this work?

Post by whiterussian1974 »

The high pressure will blow out the carbon and unburnt powder. But the "lead welding" will require chemical removal.
Ie: "The Dip."
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Resist the temptation and just don't shoot 22LR through the Omega. Every single shot will deposit some lead.
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mars »

whiterussian1974 wrote:The high pressure will blow out the carbon and unburnt powder. But the "lead welding" will require chemical removal.
Ie: "The Dip."
this! plug up one end, pour in the dip, then plug up the other end. let sit for a day or so, then flip it onto the other end and let sit for another day. then, unplug the ends and shoot some .223/556 out of it to clean out what left. At least, that's how I would do it.
the POWPOW now goes powpow
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

The dip method requires total immersion in a big glass jar. And the toxic solution handled/disposed of very carefully. Shooting out splatters of lead acetate everywhere isn't exactly a good idea.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

rimshaker wrote:The dip method requires total immersion in a big glass jar. And the toxic solution handled/disposed of very carefully. Shooting out splatters of lead acetate everywhere isn't exactly a good idea.
Completely correct.

Bury the waste fluid in a hole and backfill it to prevent animals from digging it up. DON"T DON"T DON"T, place it anywhere that it can get into ground water or a garden.

Glass is needed because it's chemically non-reactive. Plastic and metal are both problematic, but for different reasons.

And it's best to use a high pressure air hose to blow out the crap into a plastic bag for burial. But you could let the dried contents get shot out during your next range visit. Hopefully no animals around until after the next rain.

Very TOXIC!!!
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

rimshaker wrote:Resist the temptation and just don't shoot 22LR through the Omega. Every single shot will deposit some lead.
Yup. Just get a .22 can.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.