suppressor length to barrel length relationship

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

suppressor length to barrel length relationship

Post by garredondojr »

Trying to get some idea's/opinions about the relationship between barrel length and suppressor length. for example a longer barrel has obvious benefits and gains as length increases (more velocity, less unburned powder, less blast) and likewise the longer the suppressor within reason the quieter. now my question is if I went with a 11.5-12.5" barrel and a 5-5.5" suppressor with say a 1.5" blast chamber i'd be adding 3.5-4" of length to the weapon. would this setup be comperably quiet and last longer then say a 10.5" with a 6.5-7" suppressor of equal design? speaking with 5.56 for both. thank you for any insight on the subject. I already have f1's submitted for 2 cans and a sbr but I think I have a long time to think this over unfortunatly.
DKDravis
Silent But Deadly

Re: suppressor length to barrel length relationship

Post by DKDravis »

IMHO the whole shebang around SBR's is "Fashion" related .. The really short SBR's with a short fat can LOOK so damn sexy .. :mrgreen: :P

When it comes to actually USING the "system" even a slightly longer barrel and a longer can is so much easier to live with.

it shoots better in most cases, it is quieter, it fouls less - has less blowback, and velocities from the "mouse-gun 5.56 caliber" are a lot more useful.

The Only situation where a really short SBR is "better" is in a cramped fighting environment ... Thats probably why you do not see the really short SBR's in competitions.

Short barrel + long can = lower velocities = the "system" is robbed of power -- firepower is not just the number of rounds, but also the damage they do.
Longer barrel + shorter can = system is louder but also packs more power .. and probably fouls less ..
DKDravis

"Sapere Aude": Dare to KNOW!
"Do not adjust your mind, there's a fault in reality!"
"When Wrong becomes Right, Resistance becomes our duty!"
Postal code 8541
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

The extra barrel length will help with reliability on the 5.56 across a larger section of different ammo.

A short compact rifle is truly handy especially if getting in and out of vehicles or hiking long distances through thick woods. Believe that!
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

This is why I went 300BLK for my primary SBR (though I own a 10.5" 5.56 also).

An 8" 300BLK shooting a 110gr bullet hits MUCH harder than a 10.5" 5.56 shooting a 62gr bullet all the way out past 200 yards.

Both are exceptionally accurate (<1.5MOA) at 100 yards. Both running my SilencerCo Omega 30 with a flat end-cap (6").

JeffWard
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

JeffWard wrote:This is why I went 300BLK for my primary SBR (though I own a 10.5" 5.56 also).

An 8" 300BLK shooting a 110gr bullet hits MUCH harder than a 10.5" 5.56 shooting a 62gr bullet all the way out past 200 yards.

Both are exceptionally accurate (<1.5MOA) at 100 yards. Both running my SilencerCo Omega 30 with a flat end-cap (6").

JeffWard
This
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

fishman wrote:
JeffWard wrote:This is why I went 300BLK for my primary SBR (though I own a 10.5" 5.56 also).

JeffWard
This
don't deny those facts. I actually had a 300 blackout and do enjoy the cartridge. however I have kids now and do plan on bringing them up shooting and I will not take the risk of them accidently putting a 300blk in a 5.56 and hurting themselves. Murphy isn't very kind to me so it is what it is.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

garredondojr wrote:
fishman wrote:

JeffWard
This
don't deny those facts. I actually had a 300 blackout and do enjoy the cartridge. however I have kids now and do plan on bringing them up shooting and I will not take the risk of them accidently putting a 300blk in a 5.56 and hurting themselves. Murphy isn't very kind to me so it is what it is.
are 6.8 spc SBR ballistics better than .223? will a 6.8 chamber easily in a .223 and vice versa?
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

fishman wrote: are 6.8 spc SBR ballistics better than .223? will a 6.8 chamber easily in a .223 and vice versa?
don't know much about that cartridge but from what I recall it's supposed to have the most energy from an sbr for the platform, but it requires special mags, and bolts which is a turn off. 7.62x40mm would likely be long enough to prevent the possible chambering in 5.56 and would give some extra velocity. it does lose the dual purpose (sub/super) of the 300 blackout. it is an option that i'm not apposed to. the 7.62x40mm does require de-ribbed mags though.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

garredondojr wrote:
fishman wrote: are 6.8 spc SBR ballistics better than .223? will a 6.8 chamber easily in a .223 and vice versa?
don't know much about that cartridge but from what I recall it's supposed to have the most energy from an sbr for the platform, but it requires special mags, and bolts which is a turn off. 7.62x40mm would likely be long enough to prevent the possible chambering in 5.56 and would give some extra velocity. it does lose the dual purpose (sub/super) of the 300 blackout. it is an option that i'm not apposed to. the 7.62x40mm does require de-ribbed mags though.
imo if you're worried about someone getting hurt by accidentally chambering the wrong round, I would think having different mags and different bolts would be a good thing

5.56 form 1:
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

garredondojr wrote:
fishman wrote:

JeffWard
This

I don't have kids... And if I did, I surely wouldn't let them decide what ammo goes with what gun...

I also wouldn't hunt anything bigger than a coyote with a 5.56 round. I don't think it's a humane round due to it's weaknesses. It's DESIGNED to wound without killing. A wounded soldier takes 2-3 guys out of the fight. A dead soldier only removes one.... the dead one.

When it comes to game animals, I want to DRT (Dead Right There). Therefore a violently expanding 30 Cal projectile VASTLY out performs a tumbling 22 Cal projectile. It also delivers twice the weight (superior penetration) on target at sufficient velocity.

I own two 5.56 ARs, one 300BLK, and within a few weeks, a 308 AR-10. Each has it's purpose... But my 5.56SBR is a truck gun... My 16" 5.56 is a competition gun, and my 300BLK is a home defense/hunting gun. The 308 will be my hunting gun of choice when it come in.

JeffWard
0101silent
Silent But Deadly

Post by 0101silent »

--
Last edited by 0101silent on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

JeffWard wrote: I don't have kids... And if I did, I surely wouldn't let them decide what ammo goes with what gun...

I also wouldn't hunt anything bigger than a coyote with a 5.56 round. I don't think it's a humane round due to it's weaknesses. It's DESIGNED to wound without killing. A wounded soldier takes 2-3 guys out of the fight. A dead soldier only removes one.... the dead one.

When it comes to game animals, I want to DRT (Dead Right There). Therefore a violently expanding 30 Cal projectile VASTLY out performs a tumbling 22 Cal projectile. It also delivers twice the weight (superior penetration) on target at sufficient velocity.

I own two 5.56 ARs, one 300BLK, and within a few weeks, a 308 AR-10. Each has it's purpose... But my 5.56SBR is a truck gun... My 16" 5.56 is a competition gun, and my 300BLK is a home defense/hunting gun. The 308 will be my hunting gun of choice when it come in.

JeffWard
I had a 16" .308 AR and it truely is a great all around platform. the new gen II dpms .308's have peaked my interest all of the power without the fat. I still have 4 years before my oldest is hunting age. 300 blk may be superior to 5.56 in a sbr, but I have enough confidence in 5.56 with the 53gr tsx or 62gr gold dot and MK262 from my longer AR's
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

garredondojr wrote: the new gen II dpms .308's have peaked my interest all of the power without the fat.
Not to help derail the thread, but I have a GII Hunter and it is fantastic. Has promised to be very accurate and the thing really feels like an AR15. Highly recommended.
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

quiettime wrote:
garredondojr wrote: the new gen II dpms .308's have peaked my interest all of the power without the fat.
Not to help derail the thread, but I have a GII Hunter and it is fantastic. Has promised to be very accurate and the thing really feels like an AR15. Highly recommended.
good to know. I have my eye's set on the recon model as my base. but this election year has been expensive! between stamps, lowers, mags, powder, bullets and primers my gun funds are depleted!
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

Just for clarification, the 6.8 does not require a special mag. They sell them but they are NOT required. A 6.8 SPC round fits snugly into standard 5.56 mags, and the bolt strips them off one by one just fine. The only thing is, less of them fit into a mag since they are larger than a 5.56. Also, the 6.8 will not chamber in a 5.56 barrel, so no concern of anyone getting stupid and paying dearly for it. I own one, have ran it suppressed for several years, and it's my go to hunting rig if I plan to stalk hunt. It has a ton more punch than any 5.56 ever thought of having. It is basically a shortened .270 that fits in an AR platform.
Blackhorse Scout