300 Blackout / Mystic X Bullet Instability

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

DamMan

300 Blackout / Mystic X Bullet Instability

Post by DamMan »

Hopefully this question is appropriate for the Silcencer Talk as I don't see a Liberty Suppressor topic. I have searched for bullet instability, Mystic and blackout without finding an answer. I have a 8.5" 1/8 twist barreled 300 BO AR-15 Pistol. It shoots fine with subsonic and supersonic ammo. I recently purchased a Liberty Mystic X suppressor (my first suppressor ever), thinking the multi-caliber option was the way to go. When I put the Mystic X on the gun, I was unable to hit a target at 25 yards. Thinking my point of impact had changed drastically, I moved in to 10 feet. I was totally shocked to see bullets all over the target, mostly hitting sideways. I found this to be true with Remington, Hush, Hornady and Washougal River subsonic ammo. While it seemed that a 1/8 twist should stabilize the heavy bullets, I gave up and assembled a new pistol with a 1/7 8.5" barrel. I was very disappointed that the faster twist rate didn't fix a thing. Next, I looked down the bore of the Mystic X and did notice what appeared an intrusion on one side. I was able to slide a 5/16" rod down the suppressor without interference but a 3/8" rod would stick at the same point from either end of the suppressor. I should also not that close examination did not reveal any baffle strikes. Next I ran a 3/8" drill through the suppressor to clean out the one baffle with an off-center hole. Further testing with all four brands of subsonic ammo on both barrel twist rates still resulted in terrible bullet stability. I have emailed Liberty without receiving a reply. So my quesion is, where do I look next for the problem?
Thank You,
Wayne
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 Blackout / Mystic X Bullet Instability

Post by hardcase »

Look real close at the baffles and endcap. Sounds like a possible baffle strike.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

Were your rifles accurate before you attached the Liberty?

Get a bore guide alignment rod.

Try the Liberty on a know accurate rifle.

My Mystic's are perfect on my 300 BLK's, but they are all single shots.
DamMan

Post by DamMan »

I don't see any signs of baffle strikes. I used a simple steel rod to check the suppressor and it did appear that one baffle wasn't machined properly. I used a 3/8" drill and a drill press to redrill the hole in that one baffle. Yes, both guns shoot fine without the Mystic X. I am going to load up some supplies and go experimenting today. The only thing both pistols have in common is a full auto BCG (different brands) and I am using a standard carbine buffer in both. I am thinking the back pressure from the suppressor has something to do with my problem but I haven't read a single post where anyone else has had trouble with the Mystic X. I will take an AR15 BCG, a heavier buffer, supersonic and subsonic ammo and hope for the best when I go out later today.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

DamMan wrote:I don't see any signs of baffle strikes. I used a simple steel rod to check the suppressor and it did appear that one baffle wasn't machined properly. I used a 3/8" drill and a drill press to redrill the hole in that one baffle. Yes, both guns shoot fine without the Mystic X. I am going to load up some supplies and go experimenting today. The only thing both pistols have in common is a full auto BCG (different brands) and I am using a standard carbine buffer in both. I am thinking the back pressure from the suppressor has something to do with my problem but I haven't read a single post where anyone else has had trouble with the Mystic X. I will take an AR15 BCG, a heavier buffer, supersonic and subsonic ammo and hope for the best when I go out later today.
im really surprised you drilled out the baffle and continued shooting it, you obviously need to send it back or have a professional look at it.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
DamMan

Post by DamMan »

fishman wrote:
DamMan wrote:I don't see any signs of baffle strikes. I used a simple steel rod to check the suppressor and it did appear that one baffle wasn't machined properly. I used a 3/8" drill and a drill press to redrill the hole in that one baffle. Yes, both guns shoot fine without the Mystic X. I am going to load up some supplies and go experimenting today. The only thing both pistols have in common is a full auto BCG (different brands) and I am using a standard carbine buffer in both. I am thinking the back pressure from the suppressor has something to do with my problem but I haven't read a single post where anyone else has had trouble with the Mystic X. I will take an AR15 BCG, a heavier buffer, supersonic and subsonic ammo and hope for the best when I go out later today.
im really surprised you drilled out the baffle and continued shooting it, you obviously need to send it back or have a professional look at it.
Probably not the smartest but I was sure the off center baffle was the problem. I just called Liberty and they haven't responded to my previous email because the company owner is trying to determine what I should do next.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Never alter a can before talking to the manufacture. You may have just voided any warranty.

Was that suspicious baffle noticed before or after shooting it?
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
DamMan

Post by DamMan »

I noticed it after when I was trying to figure out why the bullets were hitting the target sideways. I didn't see any jacket shavings or baffle damage and supersonic isn't affected but I am almost left to believe it is baffle strikes causing my problem.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

My recollection is the Mystic is a mono-core, in other words no individual baffles and the mono-core is titanium. How did you drill it?
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

Dave at Liberty WILL get you taken care of. Deal with Liberty directly on this one- something is seriously off. I had an issue with my Leonidas from them- they paid the freight and got it fixed in a hurry. IIRC, the turnaround was 8 or 9 days from my door back to my door.
DamMan

Post by DamMan »

hardcase wrote:My recollection is the Mystic is a mono-core, in other words no individual baffles and the mono-core is titanium. How did you drill it?
It is monocore. I just used a long bit on a drill press.
DamMan

Post by DamMan »

ncorry wrote:Dave at Liberty WILL get you taken care of. Deal with Liberty directly on this one- something is seriously off. I had an issue with my Leonidas from them- they paid the freight and got it fixed in a hurry. IIRC, the turnaround was 8 or 9 days from my door back to my door.
Got the return authorization yesterday and mailed it back today. I did have to pay shipping and insurance so cost me $30 but happy to pay it since I tried to fix it on my own and probably voided warranty. I even told Liberty what I did already.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I think you will be really pleased with Liberty's customer service. They tend to be forgiving of new silencer owners. The big issue is whether or not you messed up the tube, the part with the serial number on it.

Let us know how it turns out.
DamMan

Post by DamMan »

hardcase wrote:I think you will be really pleased with Liberty's customer service. They tend to be forgiving of new silencer owners. The big issue is whether or not you messed up the tube, the part with the serial number on it.

Let us know how it turns out.
Just received my suppressor back from Liberty. Note in box says they were unable to identify the problem but repaired the suppressor. I haven't had a chance to take it apart so not sure what the repair was at this time.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Maybe they just replaced the core even though they didn't see any problems with it. Can you tell if it's the same core you drilled out?
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
DamMan

Post by DamMan »

fishman wrote:Maybe they just replaced the core even though they didn't see any problems with it. Can you tell if it's the same core you drilled out?
I just got a chance to take a look and yes a new core. While Liberty couldn't identify the problem, the new core does have a straight through hole without any resistance without me drilling it! I feel good that it will be perfect but right now I am unable to go shooting for a while.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

You need to make sure your barrel threads are concentric to the bore, before you shoot it again. Measure the thickness between the lands, and outer threads of the barrel with a caliper.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Read the directions and warranty info that came with your can. They do tend to shoot loose and is a big reason for baffle strikes. I use one of several products on the threads to help keep can and barrel tight.
DamMan

Post by DamMan »

When I sent the suppressor back to Liberty, they requested and I sent the barrel. No problem was found there. I finally got a chance yesterday to put the gun back together and tightened the suppressor with a strap wrench. The first bullet hit the target sideways and was loud (first round pop?) All shots after that were accurate, grouped well and made nice small round holes. So a big thanks to Liberty. Although they didn't identify the problem, they fixed the suppressor.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

DamMan wrote:The first bullet hit the target sideways
:shock:

5.56 form 1:
DamMan

Post by DamMan »

fishman wrote:
DamMan wrote:The first bullet hit the target sideways
:shock:
Being my first suppressor, I have no explanation but as long as it is a one time occurrence it won't bother me. I do have a stamp for a homemade suppressor so someday I will get that done and see what happens.