Non-serviceable suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Badhabit

Non-serviceable suppressor

Post by Badhabit »

New to suppressors. I can not take mine apart to clean it. Can I just clean the bore when I clean my rifle, or would I, (and the can) be better off spending the money on a sonic cleaner. Thanks for the advice.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: Non-serviceable suppressor

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Depends upon the Material. 304SS, 6061AL, G5-Ti?
SS can be cleaned w "the dip." You could also use solvents to remove carbon fouling in any of them.
If you shoot lead bullets (.22lr or Cast Slugs) then "The Dip" is what removes the Lead Acetate. But AL can't handle The Dip.

So post your Model, Material and what you shoot through it. Then we can answer what your options are.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Not supposed to dip titanium either
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
Badhabit

Post by Badhabit »

It is a Griffin Armament M4SD. It doesn't list material in the specs other than, heat treated, high temp, corrosion resistant alloy. I'm shooting it on a Ruger American bolt action .223, and a 16" AR15.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Badhabit wrote:It is a Griffin Armament M4SD. It doesn't list material in the specs other than, heat treated, high temp, corrosion resistant alloy. I'm shooting it on a Ruger American bolt action .223, and a 16" AR15.
You need to call Griffin and ask them. If they say stainless steel then you can dip it.

In all reality you don't need to clean them, its only been a few years now that everyone is super eager to clean rifle cans.

Just shoot it and have fun, rifle cans have been cleaned for decades and still perform well.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

Badhabit wrote:New to suppressors. I can not take mine apart to clean it. Can I just clean the bore when I clean my rifle, or would I, (and the can) be better off spending the money on a sonic cleaner. Thanks for the advice.
Weigh it. If it hasn't gained more than a few grams, then it doesn't need cleaning. My center fire cans don't gain weight, the high pressure blows out the excess gunk.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273