Price of suppressors IF Hearing Protection Act is passed

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

mvasilakis

Re: Price of suppressors IF Hearing Protection Act is passed

Post by mvasilakis »

Sadly, a big IF.
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

lol, so this site has it at a 1% chance of being enacted based on historic data...

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr3799

tho the administration has also done a 180 in the past month.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

The administration is exactly the same as 1 month ago. Trump is still an unknown.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

but repubs hold all 3 offices. Unknown or not, Trump is taking over on the 20th.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

vaeevictiss wrote:but repubs hold all 3 offices. Unknown or not, Trump is taking over on the 20th.
That doesn't mean a thing. If you expect actual progress towards freedom and prosperity you will be sadly disappointed.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

poikilotrm wrote:
vaeevictiss wrote:but repubs hold all 3 offices. Unknown or not, Trump is taking over on the 20th.
That doesn't mean a thing. If you expect actual progress towards freedom and prosperity you will be sadly disappointed.
oh im just as disgusted with the repubs as i am with the dems. however, historically, they have supported pro gun measures far more than the dems.
LTC

Post by LTC »

I think one or two guys hit the nail on the head with there being a price fluctuation phenomena at the initial institution of the law. The market would undergo very dynamic and complex changes over a period of time that I would estimate to be about the first year. Orders at existing producers would sky rocket, generating long lead times. Those long lead times would allow big name manufacturers (Rem, Ruger, Kimber, etc.) to jump into the game with their economies of scale. My guess is that a lot of manufacturers that we see now would become insolvent or absorbed by the larger manufacturers due to the inability to compete in the competition for greater market share.

Another effect of the bill/law is the dead period prior to its actual administration. As I stated before, there would most likely be a trend of skyrocketing backorders for new cans. Prior to this, companies would likely suffer a recession in orders and revenues because their clients would endure a wait period no matter what. But why would I submit the order when I would have to fill out paper work and send in $200 that I may not get back because the current legislation would still be the law. And lets face it, the government is not in the business of refunding much at all. Id put the odds of getting that $200 tax back at about 0.0001%. Good luck.

We're between a rock and a hard place. Personally, I am ordering a new Harvester BB with all the trimmings for a killer price while I can. Sure Theres the opportunity cost of not waiting and I have to fork over $200, but thats not a risk I would like to take in this economic and political environment.

First time poster BTW. I've lurked for some time.
tf2addict
Silent Operator

Post by tf2addict »

You bring up a good point about large gun makers jumping into the game. Sig already is in the can biz but I can see S&W and a few others jumping in. The small popular can makers would become prime takeover targets for their product line and patents and tech.
tf2addict
Silent Operator

Post by tf2addict »

poikilotrm wrote:
Still beats the alternative of what would happen had things turned out differently.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

You ain't lyin. That crazy bitch wanted a war with Russia.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

poikilotrm wrote:You ain't lyin. That crazy bitch wanted a war with Russia.
The fat penguin should also have added to her curriculum vitae ( resume to those in Rio Linda )
the terms treasonous ( illegally having SCI info on her private, unauthorized, unsecured servers ), hateful ( ... to
We The Deplorable), perverted ( ... just ask what hubby Bill said to his mistress Jennifer Flowers
were Hil's real leanings - Uma? ), just to name a kind few.

And let us not forget her evil doppelgänger twin, Elisabeth 'Pocahontas*' Warren, a true
white racist: By lying to the Harvard Law Department that she was Native American she
literally took the bread out of the mouth of a deserving Black American who really
deserved that reserved slot. Imagine how a deserving African American's career
would have blossomed at the Harvard Law School.

I give the HPA's passing at 93% chance. But what do I know, having laid odds
to my many friends a month before the election that DJT would win by 305 electoral
votes. Sadly wrong ... was it 304? :)

* Credit accrues to Boston Radio talk show host Howie Carr who told President
Trump of her phony credentials and that he nicknamed her 'Pocahontas'.
Upper NE folks call her Elizabeth WAMPUM, she wants White Man's Wampum to
distribute to her cronies. :) :)
montanabound
Silent But Deadly

Post by montanabound »

What happens to the price of cans is anybody's guess. A few things I see happening are above beyond that, so I hope they've thought of it.
For one I see the gun manufacturers getting in on it to some extent as mentioned in previous posts, but then once the 2nd rate barrel and suppressor manufacturers flood the market with their cheap junk, S&W, SIG and the rest won't honor warranty claims if you used another manufacturers can/barrel on their gun, I'm sure established companies will be excepted...I hope.
The other will be 80% cans or even build your own can, similar to ARs. You'd only need 3 cans, rimfire, pistol and rifle- with weight being the only issue of an all-in-one. Just change out the end cap, baffles and either direct thread or QD attachment method. Silencerco Hybrid45 is already a step in that direction. It'd be pretty sweet to just change out what you needed based on the manufacturers accessories of baffles and end cap kits and go from a .223 to a .338 Lapua.
Only issue I see once they become available if and when the bill passes is....the Village Idiot.
Some dumba$$ is going to try to sue, because he was too stupid to realize that just because it's not as loud doesn't mean it's not as dangerous. Or just insert whatever story you can imagine that would be worth an attorneys time to bring it to court. I just hope they include language that includes the machinists and manufacturers in the PLCAA, aka the "2005 Gun Protection Act".