hearing protection act

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: hearing protection act

Post by doubloon »

ranb wrote:
doubloon wrote:Agreed.

It removes them from the definition of firearms.
But how does it control them like long guns instead of something like handguns or any other non-nfa firearm?
I don't believe it does but I could be wrong.

The way I read it they won't be taxed or regulated as firearms inside U.S. borders.

I don't believe this prevents the State making them prohibited items like clubs, swords, etc. or the Fed from regulating international import/export.

I'll read through it again and I'm willing to be educated by one of our resident SOTs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

It suddenly struck me that if the BATFags aren't doing can paperwork, then they suddenly have spare bodies that are already funded. Sonce the reason that clemency is routinely denied is that tgere is no funding for the people who process it, that problem seems suddenly solved. In addition, the Fags can OK private machineguns if they want to. Well, now they have the time and the people.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
Mission Creep

Post by Mission Creep »

This is assuming they re-introduce the same bill, but:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con ... -bill/3799

Hearing Protection Act of 2015

This bill amends the Internal Revenue Code to: (1) eliminate the $200 transfer tax on firearm silencers, and (2) treat any person who acquires or possesses a firearm silencer as meeting any registration or licensing requirements of the National Firearms Act with respect to such silencer. Any person who pays a tax on a silencer after October 22, 2015 may receive a refund of such tax.

The bill amends the federal criminal code to preempt state or local laws that tax or regulate firearm silencers.
Chorizo

Post by Chorizo »

The Senate Version of the bill, S. 59 only refunds the $200 from 9 January 2017.

I suspect that this will be the case when final reconciliation happens on the two bills, if they get that far.

115th CONGRESS
1st Session
S. 59 To provide that silencers be treated the same as long guns.
IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

January 9, 2017

Mr. Crapo (for himself, Mr. Moran, and Mr. Paul) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Finance

A BILL To provide that silencers be treated the same as long guns.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled

SECTION 1. Short title.

This Act may be cited as the “Hearing Protection Act of 2017”.

SEC. 2. Equal treatment of silencers and firearms.

(a) In general.—Section 5845(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by striking “(7) any silencer” and all that follows through “; and (8)” and inserting “and (7)”.

(b) Effective date.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—The amendment made by this section shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act.

(2) TRANSFERS.—In the case of the tax imposed by section 5811 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, the amendment made by this section shall apply with respect to transfers after January 9, 2017.

SEC. 3. Treatment of certain silencers.

Section 5841 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by adding at the end the following:

“(f) Firearm silencers.—A person acquiring or possessing a firearm silencer in accordance with chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, shall be treated as meeting any registration and licensing requirements of the National Firearms Act (as in effect on the day before the date of the enactment of this subsection) with respect to such silencer.”.

SEC. 4. Preemption of certain State laws in relation to firearm silencers.

Section 927 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following: “Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, a law of a State or a political subdivision of a State that, as a condition of lawfully making, transferring, using, possessing, or transporting a firearm silencer in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, imposes a tax on any such conduct, or a marking, recordkeeping, or registration requirement with respect to the firearm silencer, shall have no force or effect.”.
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

I'm just worried this is to small of an issue for most law makers and will once again fall to the wayside. We got a Republican running for governor here in VA who is constantly making Facebook posts about being a strong supporter of the 2A but when I ask him to state his opinion and support for the Hearing Protection Act...dead air. I want to see elected officials taking about this and I don't.

I don't see it being a hot enough issue that affects a large enough group of people and that's discouraging. Hell, there are even hunters and sportsmen ive seen with either no knowledge of suppressors or against them based on the same Hollywood bs.

The last thing we need, and what makes us look stupid and petty, is when one sportsman says to another "just wear earplugs".
Chorizo

Post by Chorizo »

76 co-sponsors in the House, only three in the Senate. HR 367 and S 59......contact your "congresscritters" and ask that they co-sponsor the bills.

That will make sure that they energize their staff to read the bill and make a recommendation to their boss.

Get them talking and thinking about it.

I believe the WH is....Donald jr. is pushing it and the CEO of Gemtech and SilencerCo are both on Trump's 2A advisory Committee. This needs to go through in the first 6 months (prior to the July recess) If it doesn't, I feel it is doomed to failure.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/donald ... id/767378/
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

We live in an oligarchy. If the right money was paid to the right people, it will pass. It has nothing to do with the popular will.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
Chorizo

Post by Chorizo »

OK so translate that for us...does that mean you are going to sit on your ass and do nothing or, if you really believe that, are you going to put your money where you mouth is and donate large amounts of money to the right people and get this done.

I suspect, its mouth off and do nothing and let the rest of us pull the load.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Chorizo wrote:OK so translate that for us...does that mean you are going to sit on your ass and do nothing or, if you really believe that, are you going to put your money where you mouth is and donate large amounts of money to the right people and get this done.

I suspect, its mouth off and do nothing and let the rest of us pull the load.
Since I don't have large amounts of money, and "mouthing off" does nothing, I will do neither. You are pulling no load. The government does whatever the hell it wants, and you don't figure into it.
montanabound
Silent But Deadly

Post by montanabound »

In reguard to silencers being considered an accessory rather than a firearm, just opens up more abuse by regulatory agencies like the ICC and CPSC. It also allows children to possess or even purchase unless the states step in and set age limits, like they are knives or archery. I wouldn't have a problem with them remaining an NFA item with the tax being dropped and the paperwork being filed at the point of purchase, only no pics, fingerprints and no approval process other than maybe a permit required same as a pistol, with the same NICS/permit exception if you are a CWP holder such as NC.
I just think in the next democratically controlled POTUS or Congress, it's something that was highly regulated and has stayed off the anti-gun radar until recently. But MGs were as well, but there was a different set of circumstances that transpired that led to that ban and we need countermeasures to make sure that doesn't happen again to anything NFA or otherwise. AFAIK, there's nothing preventing any future Congressional Assembly to repeat what happened in 1986...maybe that's what we such be concentrating on to be included in any future Pro-gun legislation as well...please feel free to comment. I'm just putting this out there not to criticize, just to protect what we have or could have taken away from us. I just feel the time is now if it's gonna happen and we might only get this one chance. In 2 years it could be a different Congress.
Larbow1776

Post by Larbow1776 »

I myself have already contacted my state congressman and our two senators. I want to see this bill passed. Will my two cents have any affect on them? Maybe so maybe no? But for those of us that want to see the passage of this bill we can't just talk about it on a forum, we, all of us have to contact our state represenatives and tell them what we want. Just my opinion.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

montanabound wrote:It also allows children to possess or even purchase [silencers]
[Sarcasm] Oh no, think of the carnage that would ensue if a kid got their hands on a silencer! [/sarcasm]
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

fishman wrote:
montanabound wrote:It also allows children to possess or even purchase [silencers]
[Sarcasm] Oh no, think of the carnage that would ensue if a kid got their hands on a silencer! [/sarcasm]
I saw a kid in my neighborhood the other day with a muzzle brake in his hand. Thought for a minute about calling SWAT but it was only one kid so I let the pitbull take him down.

But then the damned brake rolled into a storm sewer drain. I tried to retrieve it but couldn't see it so I roped off the drain with yellow tape.

Now I'm going to have to get the local MUD for a truck roll before it washes down into the gulf and suffocates a porpoise.

Shoulda called SWAT.

ETA: The kid is OK, at least he will be once he learns to eat left handed.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Mission Creep wrote:This is assuming they re-introduce the same bill, but:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con ... -bill/3799
Yes, this isn't the same document I originally read. Can't find a link to the old one but I guess it doesn't matter.

Looks like suppressors will be serialized and treated as firearms the way this is written.
BroncoVol74

Post by BroncoVol74 »

poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

The BATFags are getting out the kneepads and chapstick big time.
USMCsilver

Post by USMCsilver »

IMHO, they should just make it so you can walk in, fill out a 4473, and walk out with a can.

I would be PERFECTLY find with that. Sure beats the s--t ya gotta through, currently.
The Original USMCsilver
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

poikilotrm wrote: Since I don't have large amounts of money, and "mouthing off" does nothing, I will do neither. You are pulling no load. The government does whatever the hell it wants, and you don't figure into it.

^^^^^The voice of reason.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Just got latest issue of Rifleman. HPA
being introduced again with hopes of passing
this time.

Send good vibes to the sponsors and our great Prez.

Please, Woden! :)