AR pistol and suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Badhabit

AR pistol and suppressor

Post by Badhabit »

My newest build was an ar pistol. PSA 71/2" barrel. I shot 30 rounds thru it to see if the rounds stabilized before putting on my suppressor. Everything looked good until I put my can on. Then the holes through the paper told me the bullets were going thru at all different angles. I did not see any strike marks on the inside of the can, and I didn't notice or hear anything strange when firing it. Should I trust this? Should I never put a suppressor on it again? Has anyone ever experienced this?
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Re: AR pistol and suppressor

Post by mars »

have you tried different ammo? if you do, i would check after each round is fired (with suppressor on). keep trying different ammo until you find something your gun likes. on a side note, what's your barrel twist rate? is it 1:8 in 300blkout and you're using subsonic ammo?
the POWPOW now goes powpow
Badhabit

Post by Badhabit »

It's a 1/7 twist rate 5.56 shooting reduced loads. Not subsonic. I have found 15grains of Varget still cycles my gun.
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mars »

mind telling us the suppressor? wonder if it's direct thread or quick detach.
the POWPOW now goes powpow
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Is there anything against your target? Sometimes a backer something can make the hole look like a keyload. In order to get an accurate test I use free hanging cardboard at 9 ft.