9mm AR - Three lug barrel or threaded?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

BlakeJ
Silent But Deadly

9mm AR - Three lug barrel or threaded?

Post by BlakeJ »

I'm building a 9mm sbr, and will be using a tirant 45 can on it. Should I go through the hassle of getting a three lug barrel, or just get a regular threaded barrel? It will never be shot unsuppressed, and the can will stay on it almost all of the time.
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 9mm AR - Three lug barrel or threaded?

Post by speed6 »

If it's going to be on there pretty much permanently, I would go the direct-thread route.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Personally, I like 3 lug for 9MM builds, especially if you plan on the suppressor being tucked inside of the hand guard.
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

if it's going to stay on most of the time I'd just stay thread on. it will save you money, length and weight.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I have two 3-lug 9mm TROS barrels and could not be happier. Direct thread can work lose, on a AR that may have very high volume and rate of fire during a range session, I hate to have to keep checking it.

With a three lug, it is just pop it on and don't worry about it. The three lugs are also easy to keep clean enough under the handguards, threads are harder. Pistol cans need cleaning, the can will come on and off a bunch.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

garredondojr wrote:if it's going to stay on most of the time I'd just stay thread on. it will save you money, length and weight.
Money yes, but a GA or Rugged 3 lug on a e lug barrel makes for a shorter overall package because more of the barrel in inside suppressor. Weight is tiny difference IMO.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!