The MK23 Mod O .45 cal SOCOM handgun

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Historian
Silent But Deadly

The MK23 Mod O .45 cal SOCOM handgun

Post by Historian »

Back to Suppressors.

Discussion about HPA passage what would be benefits
to upgrade 1911A1, threaded Bar Sto to
an MK23 with can.

Any field tested info as to MK23 perceived recoil reduction and
its suppression effectiveness?

And what is best modern .45 can for 1911A1?
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: The MK23 Mod O .45 cal SOCOM handgun

Post by fishman »

Biggest advantage would hands down be magazine capacity, I absolutely love the 1911 platform, you can't beat a SAO trigger, but 7 or 8 round magazines in a full frame gun are absolutely lame.

My truck gun is a double stack para p14.45 1911. Rock island and STI also make them. They're very popular among ipsc pistol shooters (especially in .40s&w and 38 super) but not common with everyone else. I can't believe they aren't more popular.

If you're willing to put up with a DA/SA trigger or a striker gun, your options are much broader.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Thanks, Fishman. Good advice.

Issue of magazines proved no problem in past, e.g.,
carry 6 mags in 'holster', plus some SS 10 round mags
( Tuff Products 6-Inline Belt/MOLLE Magazine Pouch Double Stack Pistol Nylon )

Some bend over laughing at original .45 snail drum from original Christian
Militia contract. Somewhat heavier than Luger snail drum in shoulder holster. :)

Also, as opposed to say my FN Hi-Power 9mm, double-taps are not
necessary.
Aaron
Silent Operator

Post by Aaron »

Check out the HK45 Compact Tactical and the HK45T. I have the CT and I love it. It is my concealed carry piece. The MK23 is a massive firearm. Way to big to carry. The HK45 is a masterfully designed and built handgun. It is by far the highest quality firearm I've ever used and I've played with a lot over the years, both personally and professionally.

Aaron
BigBlockBobby

Post by BigBlockBobby »

I have been very happy with the HK Mark23 for my .45 suppressor host. I have a few 1911's but there is something about the mark 23.
Aaron
Silent Operator

Post by Aaron »

Honestly, I don't understand the MK23. On paper it's amazing. It's got a great pedigree and a cool history and story. Then I got to handle one in real life and all interest in it faded. It is just too damned big to be useful for much of anything other than a safe queen.
BigBlockBobby

Post by BigBlockBobby »

I have big old bear paws for hands so I don't mind it being large. In fact it being large is one of the things I love about it when shooting suppressed. The slides weight seems to act like a counter balance to the suppressor when shot. Also for some reason it seems a little quieter than most .45 suppressor hosts.

If you get a chance try one. While not a carry gun it makes a great suppressor host.
Aaron
Silent Operator

Post by Aaron »

Yeah, I've read that the size and weight were intentional design elements. The weapon system was designed to be deployed in offensive close quarters scenarios rather than as a tool of last resort. The size and weight were designed to counterbalance the weapon and allow quicker follow up shots. It is a killer design and concept, no doubt. I just don't see a practical application for it in my own life.

That said, I love HK. I love my 45CT and I have thought about picking up a P30. Between my Glock 17 and my HK 45, there is no comparison in quality. The HK beats the Glock in every way shape and form and the difference between the striker fired weapon and the hammer is night and day. HK wins hands down.