AAC Halcyon

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

paytongar

AAC Halcyon

Post by paytongar »

Anybody have more info on the new Halcyon .22 can from AAC that was just announced?

http://www.advanced-armament.com/HALCYON-_p_726.html

I noticed they list the reduction at 42db.

Edited to correct db level.
Last edited by paytongar on Tue May 02, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC Halcyon

Post by John A. »

43db on what host? That's probably the real question.

Wouldn't 43db put it down into the lower 120 db range?

Depending on which equipment you're using, and who's doing it, I have heard of a few 22 cans metering down into the upper 1-teens.

Looks like a 2 piece ported K baffle can to me. Not something I would consider new or ground breaking on any level.

But you gotta market it and make it appealing somehow I guess.
I don't care what your chart says
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

John A. wrote:43db on what host? That's probably the real question.

Depending on which equipment you're using, and who's doing it, I have heard of a few 22 cans metering down into the upper 1-teens.

Looks like a 2 piece ported K baffle can to me. Not something I would consider new or ground breaking on any level.

Each baffle stacks into the sleeve on the last, similar to the curtistactical k baffles that screw together, pretty unique design, ive never seen it on any of the big companies' cans.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
paytongar

Post by paytongar »

fishman wrote:
John A. wrote:43db on what host? That's probably the real question.

Each baffle stacks into the sleeve on the last, similar to the curtistactical k baffles that screw together, pretty unique design, ive never seen it on any of the big companies' cans.

Yeah, I would assume those numbers of 42db (corrected from my original post of 43) are best case scenario. I wonder what host, too.

I'm really just trying to figure out a replacement for my sealed Gemtech Outback II. Wanting the absolute quietest on the market, regardless of size/weight/cost. Ability to clean is a factor, though, and I've been eyeballing that Silencerco Sparrow for a while. Using the two half tubes to shield the baffles is pretty ingenious.
Coughing lead

Post by Coughing lead »

The Sparrow has a pretty big frp on pistols at least. It works better on rifles. The Element 2 is great on pistols and sounds good on my 416 but it's k baffles and not that hard to clean. There are more offerings now that have encapsulated baffles for easier takedown and reassembly. Dead Air Mask is what I would be going for if in the market. Also the Rugged Occulus and Q El Camino are premium competitors. I personally don't care for the pvc look of some configurable rimfire cans.
Mistere1

Post by Mistere1 »

Some extra bits of intel on the Halcyon:
- Keyed titanium fully shielded K-baffles (easier reassembly, clean how you want, stack dumps out easily)
- Tool-free disassembly (front and rear cap)
- Uses swappable mount inserts (comes with a 1/2-28, other threads sold separately) to attach to different hosts (3/8-24 for the M&P Compact & Metric 10mm for the Five-seven inserts will also be available).
- Also coming is a 3-lug style adapter and mount for quick attach (adds a little overall length to the can).
- Wave spring under rear cap tensions and aligns thread adapter to the main tube to prevent rear cap loosening.

I've had a Sparrow for a few years. The FRP is noticeable. It definitely takes-apart easily and it's built to last.
DaveJTR

Post by DaveJTR »

AAC coming out with 3 lug adapter for 22? Dang!!! Just ordered me the Gemtech 22 QDA that was just released! LOVE AAC!!!!!!
HansohnBrothers

Post by HansohnBrothers »

I should be getting the Halcyon in a few weeks, just waiting on the form 3 to clear.
Hansohn Brothers, LLC
Culpeper, VA
www.HansohnBrothers.com
540-748-8155
paytongar

Post by paytongar »

HansohnBrothers wrote:I should be getting the Halcyon in a few weeks, just waiting on the form 3 to clear.
Any update? How is it?