Carbon deposits on suppressor baffles

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

1rflman

Carbon deposits on suppressor baffles

Post by 1rflman »

When examining the carbon deposit build-up on clipped 60* cone baffles, what does the industry research show? Is the carbon and powder residue accumulating in areas where the clip is directing the gas pressure to? Or instead, is the carbon accumulating in low pressure areas where it is not being forced out through the bore? Possibly it's more complex than this...
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: Carbon deposits on suppressor baffles

Post by fishman »

In my k baffle can, carbon deposits form more in low pressure areas
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

You may find that deposits build up quite differently depending on the power and composition of the particular ammunition most used through the baffles. In higher pressure situations there's likely a scouring effect in highest pressure areas, scrubbing away deposits before they can accumulate and leaving the metal fairly clean. In lower pressure scenarios (subsonic .22lr for example) you may see considerable build-up in higher pressure areas tapering to very little or no adhered carbon in lower pressure areas, as the force of the expanding gases and abrasive materials from the powder aren't sufficient to scrub surfaces clean. And of course the materials used in the baffles can play a role. Aluminum is going to be more sticky, compared to polished stainless, especially after even very modest degradation of the machined surfaces due to use.
hbk80rice
Silent But Deadly

Post by hbk80rice »

Mine are very different depending on the ammunition I use the brand, the weight of ammunition, subsonic versus non subsonic, it is all very different in terms of where the carbon buildup is. What I have found that works best is at the end of your shooting day find some very hot loads and shoot them through your can which has helped me loosen up and also fire out some of the carbon in some of the baffles. Then once you get home I always drop mine in my special solution with the heat turned on in my ultrasonic cleaner.
AAC- Evo-9, Pilot, Ti-Rant 9, M4-2000
Coastal Passport
SWD- M11, M11-A1, M11(NIB)
SiCo Omega
Arsenal 107ur
Fleming Trigger Pack
Chi-Com Norinco Type 56
PAWS Colt SP1
DeadAir MASK HD
Surefire Ryder Ti9