Canning a Hi Point 9 mm Carbine

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Idyhojo

Canning a Hi Point 9 mm Carbine

Post by Idyhojo »

Does anyone know if one can effectively suppress a Hi Point 9 mm carbine? My concerns are the blow-back action's reliable operation with a can mounted, and if the blow-back operation is louder than a locked breech. Also, if anyone has knowledge about these questions, would you recommend a suppressor make/model, please?
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: Canning a Hi Point 9 mm Carbine

Post by TROOPER »

Idyhojo wrote:Does anyone know if one can effectively suppress a Hi Point 9 mm carbine?
I don't know what "effectively" means. You can put a silencer on one, and it will be notably quieter. Will it achieve "hearing safe"? That depends on what ammunition you use, what silencer you use, and what you consider to be 'hearing safe'.
Idyhojo wrote:My concerns are the blow-back action's reliable operation with a can mounted, and if the blow-back operation is louder than a locked breech.
The reliability of the blow-back action will not decrease, and theoretically will actually increase reliability.... which segues directly into the second portion: a blow-back action is louder than a locked breach.
Idyhojo wrote:Also, if anyone has knowledge about these questions, would you recommend a suppressor make/model, please?
Any regular 9mm silencer should do just fine. You'll want to stay away from "micro" 9mm silencers for this particular setup. If you have a class III dealer in your area that you know you are going to use, I'd ask what he has in stock right now, and choose from what he/she has on-hand.
Idyhojo

Post by Idyhojo »

Thanks for the reply.
So, running one "forever" on that gun, as I likely would, it'd require sub-sonic 147's and then fiddling with higher strength springs and spring preloads to suit. Okay, I'll get a man on it right away. o(*_*)o
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

The Hi-Point guns are notorious for being made of pot metal and break all the time.A suppressor will increase the bolt velocity add stress to a weak firearm.Just take that into account before you invest any money into that carbine.I would never trust any Hi-Point if lives were on the line...a rock would be a more reliable choice.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Idyhojo wrote:Thanks for the reply.
So, running one "forever" on that gun, as I likely would, it'd require sub-sonic 147's and then fiddling with higher strength springs and spring preloads to suit. Okay, I'll get a man on it right away. o(*_*)o
I don't know enough about that particular platform, but a silencer on a blowback INCREASES the blow-back, which means you shouldn't need a different spring to function, although you may want a stronger spring to avoid the internals from beating themselves up and putting undue wear-and-tear on the firearm.

147-gr or heavier for 9mm will do just fine. I see that Federal makes some 150-gr, and IMI and Fiocchi make 158 gr. All of that is just fine, but plain ol' 147-gr should work just fine.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Capt. Link. wrote:I would never trust any Hi-Point if lives were on the line...a rock would be a more reliable choice.
-CL
That's not saying much. A rock always works; they're more reliable than ANY firearm :lol: :wink:
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
Idyhojo

Post by Idyhojo »

Thanks Again To All Who've Taken The Time To Reply. :-)

Having more "real" firearms than I can count, I understand about the toy-like nature of this carbine, though I do thank all who have stated this caution. I bought it on a whim a few years ago and was delighted with it's general level of accuracy with a red dot, all for almost zero dollars invested. It delivers hits with 9 mm slugs at ranges well beyond what even I can achieve with a handgun, and it can do so for anyone who picks it up in a moment of need. Note here that I've recently begun the suppressor acquisition process and am now in the "wait" period for a YHM 5.56 can. I've recently gifted my son with my 300 OSSM upper and 240 rounds of factory-loaded ammunition... and that I load for and shoot a .458 M-70 for entertainment. I shoot this Hi Point without ear protection and am comfy doing so. I was primarily interested in learning what others may have learned about the idea of canning a blow-back carbine, figuring when the poop hit the prop it could prove to be a tactical asset. The general opinion that it would take some fiddling with spring rates to keep the poor lil' thang from hurting itself agrees with my pre-guess, and leads to my conclusion that once installed and all the subsequent fiddling has been completed, the can would stay on the carbine till hell freezes over. No ideer iffen I'll even live long enough to get that far, but what the hell, right..? o(*_*)o Thanks Again..!
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

viewtopic.php?t=79839

It isn't the same firearm, of course, but the action is also a simple blow-back design. I found it to be surprisingly accurate just as you found your Hi-Point to be. I didn't fool around with the springs on it, but I don't think its design made such adjustment a worthwhile endeavor.

I did find it to be pleasingly quiet... or at least much, much quieter compared to no silencer. Unfortunately the silencer does its job relatively well and resists the exit of hot gas and debris from the muzzle. But then due to its blow-back design, that means the bolt opens right on schedule, except that the gasses and pressures haven't dissipated to the degree that they normally would have, and a little bit of gas, debris, and 'grit' does come out of the port. You could feel it like hot-sand and smoke being flicked at you with every shot. I found that over-priced 'self-defense' ammunition was the least offensive with its cleaner burning powder. American Eagle and WWB were what I mostly shot, though, because of their price... and they made my eyes water a little bit with the fumes.

In this community -- welcome to it, by the way -- there's a sort of general sigh-of-regret that little 380s don't suppress so well, because having a James Bond clone would be epic. Unfortunately, and for the same exact reason as my CX4 and your Hi-Point, they just don't suppress well; blow-back isn't particularly friendly for silencers unless it's a 22. This is why 9mm is so much more popular to suppress compared to 380, even though 380 seems on paper as though it would be the peak of quiet for center-fire.

If you haven't ordered your silencer yet, try to find one that will do well on a regular ol' GLOCK or Sig or Beretta handgun, then you can move it back-and-forth from the rifle to the handgun. The rifle isn't disappointing exactly... but it isn't as pleasant as the handgun in terms of total suppression.
Idyhojo

Post by Idyhojo »

Thanks Again for the friendly replies. I've enjoyed the discussion..! o(*_*)o
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

I have read that the highpoints have a strange material for a barrel and can be troublesome to thread. so before I invested in a dedicated can for that rifle I would have the barrel threaded to make sure it will be a suitable host.

I bought one of the 995 ts carbines several years back since it was cheap. it was actually a pretty fun little carbine. the only drawback was the 10 round capacity.

one of my favorite loads in that rifle was a 158gr swc over 3.1 gr of w231 the action was louder than the report of the round (the bolt is massive on those rifles) and it was funny to shoot at 100yds you could hear the bullet flying down range and they cut perfect holes in the target and hit with authority.