New to the silencer realm.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Adamn34

New to the silencer realm.

Post by Adamn34 »

I'm trying to get into silencers. It's kind of tough because I don't know anyone with one. Don't really have any stores near by to demo. And it's tough to use reviews online because of clipping etc. So the best I could think to do was make a spreadsheet from the silencer shop youtube channel, since they pretty much use the same guns, ammo, and test equipment for their tests.

I was thinking of getting a .22 and 7.62 silencer first. Followed by a .45 can. I have read that people like that better than the all in one can solution. But I also included the Mystic X and Optimus in the spreadsheets since those were tested just to see the results.

I made these spreadsheets with the "At the ear" DB rating, with prices and specs from the silencer shop website. It's not meant to be an end all be all. I just made it for myself to help process all of the videos.

For .22 caliber

For 7.62 cans

The Mystic X did surprisingly well for an all in one can. While I would probably still like to get a dedicated .22 can for the size and weight. The Mystic X seems to be a pretty good all around can. Do you guys with more experience than I have think it would be a good/bad idea to get a .22 can and the Mystic X as a general 300BLK, 5.56, and 9mm can, or am I going about this completely wrong? If anyone has experience with these silencers, can you think of anything myself or someone else should know? Help is greatly appreciated.
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Re: New to the silencer realm.

Post by mars »

i think anyone starting out should at least get a dedicated .22 can. They are cheap and way fun. Get a good one though, not just the cheapest. As for the mysticx, it is a good all around can, but you will have to pay for adapters for the different calibers. I started with a rim fire can and moved on from there. You'll eventually get more than a few cans.
the POWPOW now goes powpow
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

Sounds like you've got the right idea in researching but your missing some of the top cans in the rimfire catagory. I agree though, start with the 22 can and go from there. As far as what else to consider I'd look seriously at the Dead Air Mask, it seems to be the #1 can out there. Otherwise don't forget the SilencerCo Sparrow, Spectre II, Rugged Oculus 22, and the Gemtech GM22. Personally, I have the two SilencerCo cans and they perform wonderfully with the exception of a first round pop on the sparrow only on pistols.

As far as a good hybrid can vs a dedicated rifle and pistol can. It's really personal preference. Generally speaking you should see better results from dedicated cans but if costs are an issue you wouldn't likely be disappointed with a hybrid type can. One thing to consider is if taking the time to change out adapters on a hybrid can when shooting multiple hosts in one day could become cumbersome then get dedicated cans. This was one of the reasons I went with a dedicate can for each type of host. A couple rimfire cans, one pistol can and one rifle can.

Where do you live? You never know someone from here might be willing to meet up and let you shoot their cans.
Adamn34

Post by Adamn34 »

Sounds like you've got the right idea in researching but your missing some of the top cans in the rimfire catagory. I agree though, start with the 22 can and go from there. As far as what else to consider I'd look seriously at the Dead Air Mask, it seems to be the #1 can out there. Otherwise don't forget the SilencerCo Sparrow, Spectre II, Rugged Oculus 22, and the Gemtech GM22.
Right. All of those were from the one youtube channel. I am definitely open to more suggestions to look into.
One thing to consider is if taking the time to change out adapters on a hybrid can when shooting multiple hosts in one day could become cumbersome then get dedicated cans. This was one of the reasons I went with a dedicate can for each type of host.
As far as needing to shoot multiple calibers in one day is not an issue with me. I don't have to go to a range. I am however, a creature of comfort. If I didn't get multiple cans I would definitely try to make things as QD as possible.
Where do you live?
I am in Georgia.
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

I'm sure others will come in with suggestion too but so far you've got a good start in researching. Also look at the Silencerco hybrid, it's a good can for multiple hosts from 22lr to 45-70 including rifle calibers. It's a tighter package than the mystic and I think it's rated for faster fire but it doesn't come apart the way the mystic does for cleaning. Like most cans there is a trade-off somewhere.

Check your local or state forms and see anyone will demo suppressors for you. A few years ago when I couldn't decide on a 9mm can I found a guy close by from my state firearm association forum willing to meet up at the range and let me test his pistol with the can I wanted. Just remember you want subsonic ammo when practical for best results.
BigBlockBobby

Post by BigBlockBobby »

Where are you located? You may be able to find someone in your area to shoot with that has a few suppressors.
I have been very happy with my Dead Air Mask for .22LR. Works as good on a pistol as it does a rifle.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Adamn34 wrote:...
The Mystic X did surprisingly well for an all in one can. While I would probably still like to get a dedicated .22 can for the size and weight. ...
You could do worse than this combo, it's a good pairing for someone just starting out and not knowing what they want next.

The Spectre is still an outstanding can. For the dedicated 22 can it is a MUST that it come apart for cleaning and it is a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that all parts be some kind of stainless or titanium, the rigors of cleaning can be hard on some aluminum cans if care is not taken. Stainless on the other hand can be put in a tumbler with steel pins and very nearly left running over the weekend with no fear of baffles getting ground into dust. And of course I don't believe The Dip and aluminum are the best of pals. Liberty and Silencerco/SWR are two of my favorite companies

Don't stress out over the dB numbers. A 3dB difference isn't the end of the world. It's kinda like the difference in 1/4 mile times between a Z06 and a ZR1, when you have them right there together you can tell the difference but either one alone is still more than acceptable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

LIberty Suppressors is located in Trenton.

I have a Mystic (the X was released while I was waiting) and am very pleased. I will upgrade.

I have TBAC CB9 (the Ultra was released while I was waiting) and am very pleased

I bought the Regulator so I could see my sights and am glad I did.

I plan on getting a .45 cal silencer next.
Adamn34

Post by Adamn34 »

hyrulejedi86 wrote:Also look at the Silencerco hybrid, it's a good can for multiple hosts from 22lr to 45-70 including <a class="vglnk" target="_blank" href="http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=rifle" rel="nofollow"><span>rifle</span></a> calibers. It's a tighter package than the mystic and I think it's rated for faster fire but it doesn't come apart the way the mystic does for cleaning. Like most cans there is a trade-off somewhere.
Will do. I looked into the Dead Air Mask this morning and am pretty impressed with it so far.
BigBlockBobby wrote:Where are you located?
I am in Georgia.
doubloon wrote:Don't stress out over the dB numbers. A 3dB difference isn't the end of the world. It's kinda like the difference in 1/4 mile times between a Z06 and a ZR1, when you have them right there together you can tell the difference but either one alone is still more than acceptable.
I like the analogy, helps my perspective.
Kanook wrote:LIberty Suppressors is located in Trenton.
I'm within a couple hours of them then. Glad you are happy with them.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
silentstalker8660

Post by silentstalker8660 »

I don't if anyone has else has had the chance to purchase a Thompson Machine Suppressor but I have found them to be really nice and quiet.
They are a small no-frills manufacturer in North Florida all their cans from what I've seen are direct thread but built well. I have purchased a couple of .22 cans from a local dealer,
a Zephyr XL $340 and a Isis 22 $314 both are direct thread and very quiet even with CCI ammo. I recommend that you look them over but don't overlook them.
BigBlockBobby

Post by BigBlockBobby »

If you ever come up the the Charlotte NC area you are welcome to try out a few of my suppressors
Adamn34

Post by Adamn34 »

BigBlockBobby wrote:If you ever come up the the Charlotte NC area you are welcome to try out a few of my suppressors
Not very likely but thank you very much for the offer.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I have the Mystic (not the X). If I ever shoot this can (baffle strike) I will upgrade for the $300.00 or so Liberty charges. I also have a dedicated .22 can. I made the mistake of buying a .22 can with aluminum baffles. Big mistake. Next to impossible to clean. It is very light, about what a loaded .308 round weighs, and I can use the stock sights on my .22s. I can see over the Mystic with my Glock 19's stock sights too.