Newbe Questions

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

squirrel502

Newbe Questions

Post by squirrel502 »

So as the title says, I am a complete newbe to the NFA world and only just got my trust setup. That said, I am really looking for advice and recommendations. Currently I only have 4 items that I would look at suppressing (Bolt 308, AR, CZ Scorpion, and a 10/22). I have no pistols setup with threaded barrels, however, this could change in the future depending upon what I buy. So, the first question is whether I should get caliber specific cans for all 4 rifles, or should I mix it up? I know that I could do something like a Recce 7 for the 308/5.56, a octane 9 or 45 for the CZ, and a sparrow for the 22, but that is a lot of money on suppressors and tax stamps. I could go the Optimus and call it a day, or something like the Omega 30, 9mm can, and a sparrow. I also see very good things from the Omega 9k, but it isn't user serviceable...and I don't know if that is or should be a deal breaker (it does bug me though). I have also thought about the Optimus and a sparrow, as I could keep the Optimus in 30cal 3lug configuration so that I could easily just swap between the AR and the CZ, but again....it is a lot of money and time when not being 100%. And while I live in the suppressor friendly state of VA, there are no place around me that carry any real variety of cans, let alone offer up the ability to try before you buy.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Newbe Questions

Post by Kanook »

I would (I did) get the Liberty Mystic X (now rated for 300 win mag) and a Liberty Regulator for the 22's.

I bought the Mystic (getting it upgraded) for my Ruger 77/357 and 22 rimfire. I couldn't see over my sights, so I bought the Regulator and am very pleased.

My 30cal can is a TBAC CB9, which is now offered as a Ultra 9.

I was going to get an extra/spare 30cal silencer and then Liberty offered the upgrade, so the money I would spend on TAX stamp is now going to upgrade instead. I'm still spending money, but saving in the long run. [*] :D
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

If you can't or don't want to but one for each, get a SilencerCo Hybrid and a Sparrow or Spectre II for the rimfire and call it a day. Purchase before 6/30 and get a $200 SilencerCo store credit with each one. That should cover any mounts and accessories you'll need.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Second all the above replies.

The value of a dedicated 22 can in terms of all around shooting experience (visibility, weight, maintenance, suppression) should not be underrated.

But it's all about personal preference at some point.

If you have a higher tolerance for things like the butt of a can creeping into your sights or a little louder report and don't mind the weight of a can of spam on the end of your 10/22 then one can to bind them all might be the right choice for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
squirrel502

Post by squirrel502 »

thanks for the info and reply's, and I will look further into the hybrid. As far as a dedicated can, my heart was set on the sparrow, but now I am thinking of the checkmate. The idea of keeping a 3 lug on the 10/22 and a pistol down the road is really tempting, as is the idea of a more solid lockup on something that could potentially get banged around. Not too sure about the idea of no shielding between the tube and the monocore baffles however. So any thoughts on the checkmate for a 22 can? Also, what is the general consensus with the mystic x for the 5.56/9mm/308? 10oz does seem pretty light compared to others, and not have to fiddle about with the configuration if I am just going from the scorpion to the AR if in 3 lug is compelling.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

I love my Sparrow. You really need a dedicated .22 can.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

squirrel502 wrote:...my heart was set on the sparrow, ...
I'm biased, Spectre or sparrow in that order.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
squirrel502

Post by squirrel502 »

alright. so I think I got things a bit more in line with what I want.

22lr) either the Dead Air Mask or Griffin Armament Checkmate QD

Main Can)
Griffin Armament Optimus or Liberty Mystic X. This is where things get interesting. I really like the optimus and the DB ratings are pretty close to dedicated cans. I also like the fact that the 9mm can is pretty small for the CZ scorpion, since this is where it will primarily reside. The downside is that my bolt gun is currently threaded 1/2x32 for a Vias brake....and griffin leaves me lost in this regard. Liberty on the other hand will cut a specific thread pattern for their adaptor for $50, which is a win, however, 8" seems kinda long for a SBR or pistol, especially when you throw the necessary adaptor on as well. Additionally, I cant find any resources that show how well the liberty performs compared to other suppressors on the market. At the end of the day however, if griffin cant help, and the mystic cant perform, than I will just get a dedicated 9mm can (omega 9k) and call it a day. Now I am just waiting on a reply from Griffin regarding adaptability with 3rd party brakes/adapters. Although it would be sweet if I could get a liberty adapter cut and use it on the Griffin.
squirrel502

Post by squirrel502 »

well it is done.

Thank you Capitol Armory for honoring your web pricing :)

So went ahead and ordered a Dead Air Mask and a Mystic X. Prices were not bad at all. $399 for the Mask, and $588 for the mystic x.

Hopefully I made a good choice on the mystic x. Was thinking that with the bizarre thread pitch on my bolt 308, Liberty could cut a specific mount for my needs. And since I am not super interested in suppressing a pistol at this time, would only need to concern myself with a mount for the CZ and AR. Again, for the price of the suppressor...it is still in my economic favor to go the route of the liberty. Now all I need to think about is whether it is better to go 3 lug for the CZ or direct thread. Also whether or not I should cut the barrel or pickup an OEM pistol barrel from CZ (think they were listed for $150).
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

To really get the grin factor, you need to be sub-sonic. CCI, and others make standard velocity .22s. I buy them by the brick as it takes no time to eat up 500.

Your bolt gun should shoot subs. I have a 300 Black for 30 cal subs. If you reload, someone here might could help on data. .308 is a big case for a little powder so I don't know.

Always shoot a bullet without the can first to make sure it is stable.
squirrel502

Post by squirrel502 »

hardcase wrote:To really get the grin factor, you need to be sub-sonic. CCI, and others make standard velocity .22s. I buy them by the brick as it takes no time to eat up 500.

Your bolt gun should shoot subs. I have a 300 Black for 30 cal subs. If you reload, someone here might could help on data. .308 is a big case for a little powder so I don't know.

Always shoot a bullet without the can first to make sure it is stable.

There was actually load data in American Rifleman several years ago for rolling a sub 308 using a 168gr match king and 9 grains of trailboss. Supposedly it would send it out at just over 900fps.