Current top of the Heap Rimfire Suppressors 2017

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

dtp

Current top of the Heap Rimfire Suppressors 2017

Post by dtp »

I'm new to the game. Currently have a gm-22 in the pipe (for nearly a year) which is good, but not quite the best. Since NFA wait times are probably going to drop soon, I'm looking at getting another 22lr suppressor.

Research is proving that most cans are pretty good and that effort toward getting the best for say a pistol with a 5.5" barrel may not be well spent?

Ignoring that, I've found the following...

AAC Element 2 - Seems to be top of the heap and light 4 oz
Bowers USS - Again top of the heap, but heavy at 8 oz
El Camino - Close to AAC Element 2 also about 4oz with a titanium version coming?
Rugged Occulous - Can be used in short config and long config, the short working well on rifles and still hearing safe on pistols. But long is for best pistol suppression.

Any other models I'm missing and keeping in mind I'm talking rimfire pistol here with 5.5" or shorter barrels. Factors to consider.

1. Cleaning - seems to be the biggest factor
2. Silencing - reason for getting a can in the first place. First round pop seems to be the biggest issue here.
3. Weight - especially on rimfires like an SR22
4. Durability - Seems not a big deal unless you screw up cleaning...

Sorry I'm new to this but it seems like the amount of suppression that can be achieved has been reached years ago. So cleaning and weight seem to be the areas left to improve. But it's still hard for me to decide on one.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: Current top of the Heap Rimfire Suppressors 2017

Post by fishman »

Why do you want a second 22 silencer? Im sure the answer is very similar to the reason I need 5 ARs. However, it seems like you've got a solution in search of a problem. Why don't you shoot your first one a bunch, decide what you don't like about it, then search for a silencer that meets your needs. If you can't find anything you don't like about your first one, then buy the same one again.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
dtp

Post by dtp »

fishman wrote:Why do you want a second 22 silencer? Im sure the answer is very similar to the reason I need 5 ARs. However, it seems like you've got a solution in search of a problem. Why don't you shoot your first one a bunch, decide what you don't like about it, then search for a silencer that meets your needs. If you can't find anything you don't like about your first one, then buy the same one again.
Probably good advice. :) I only have 4 ARs. :(

That said, I'm still trying to learn more about the 4 suppressors I listed originally as I shoot a lot of rimfire and don't know any better. And because I can. :p
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

a_canadian

Post by a_canadian »

Seems odd to leave the Ruger Silent-SR and Dead Air Mask off your short list. Both stainless shielding type nested baffles making them easy to clean and durable. Both quiet, in the top ten at least. Both minimal FRP. Both reputable at this point, garnering much respect from recognised experts. I'd have a hard time picking between these two, and would add the AAC Element II to my short list.
dtp

Re: a_canadian

Post by dtp »

a_canadian wrote:Seems odd to leave the Ruger Silent-SR and Dead Air Mask off your short list. Both stainless shielding type nested baffles making them easy to clean and durable. Both quiet, in the top ten at least. Both minimal FRP. Both reputable at this point, garnering much respect from recognised experts. I'd have a hard time picking between these two, and would add the AAC Element II to my short list.
I'm mostly going off of some videos from Silencershop where they meter various suppressors. Problem is they don't have numbers on the AAC Element II. I like what they do though because it's one source where they use the same equipment and firearms/ammo, shoot in the same location to give data that can be compared.

I've already sent a few pistols into Ruger for the MKIV recall, they're in the dog house right now. :)

Dead Air Mask, I'll have to check....
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I would personally be interested in Rugers 10/22 integral. You could still move your other suppressor around on other hosts, but I have little doubt that an integral would probably be the most quiet can out there.

I know, I'd probably rather have a bolt action for an integral due to being able to shoot cci quiets and probably make less noise than a bb gun, but the Ruger integral should still be a quiet semi.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/micros/si ... index.html
I don't care what your chart says
savage54

Post by savage54 »

dtp wrote:
a_canadian wrote: ... and would add the AAC Element II to my short list.
I'm mostly going off of some videos from Silencershop where they meter various suppressors. Problem is they don't have numbers on the AAC Element II. I like what they do though because it's one source where they use the same equipment and firearms/ammo, shoot in the same location to give data that can be compared.

I've already sent a few pistols into Ruger for the MKIV recall, they're in the dog house right now. :)

I'm too lazy to look right now, but doesn't the Element II have aluminum baffles? As often as you have to clean rimfire suppressors, I'd want something with steel (maybe titanium) baffles, so that I could clean it using the dip, or ultransonic cleaner, or wet tumbling with stainless steel pins.

I will second the recommendation for the Dead Air Mask HD. Also, I'll throw in a recommendation for the Silencerco Spectre II. The Spectre is around 6" long, the Mask is a bit over 5". Both have minimal FRP, stainless baffles, and great customer service.

One word of caution about ultrasonic cleaners, though. Don't put the tubes or end caps in, just the baffles. I've heard of several (and seen a couple) cases where the microscopic bubble action of the cleaner eats away the external finish. But it really helps with cleaning the baffles.

Also, one thing to remember about the SilencerShop web site - they do not list any SilencerCo products since the two companies had a falling out a year or two back. So don't rule out SilencerCo items just because you don't see them on that site.

Just thought of another one to look at - the ThunderBeast Takedown 22. I've heard good things about it, but have not actually heard one in person. I do have a TB Ultra 30, and if the Takedown 22 has anywhere near the build quality and performance, it should be fantastic.
crockettdefense

Post by crockettdefense »

I might be biased, but you might want to take a look at the new AMTAC Fire Ant. They're a sponsor on this forum and just released their rimfire suppressor. I shot it at the demo/release day they had a couple of weeks ago and it was impressive. 22LRMarksman had it on his SBR M&P 15-22 and they also had a full-auto GSG. Probably two of the funnest setups I've ever shot.

It's 5.5oz or so, the noise reduction was awesome, and it uses a single piece, stainless baffle that attaches directly to the barrel. Makes for minimal POI shift and takedown for cleaning can be done with an allen wrench.

On top of all that, they have a tax stamp promotion where they actually ship a $200 check to the ATF with your suppressor. If HPA passes (not holding my breath), you'll get that $200 back, meaning you came out $400 ahead. [url]http://.amtacsuppresors.com/notax[/url]

As others have mentioned, don't count out SiCo or Dead Air either, they all make great rimfire suppressors. And if you already have a rimfire can and want something different, I second the idea of looking at integral.

Anyway, my .02. Good luck!
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Element baffles are 17-4
NP
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

Savage54 already mentioned it, but the new Thunderbeast 22 Takedown matches the Mask HD in Recoil magazine's recent test comparison of 10 22LR suppressors with sound tests and first round pop measurements. The 22 Takedown has snap together stainless steel baffles and a titanium tube.

Recoil magazine had Thunderbeast 22 Takedown ($395 MSRP) as their top choice of the 10 tested with Mask HD as virtually tied, and the El Camino as 'Best Value'.

With all these great 22 suppressors, the best choice may come down to what your dealer has in stock.

article has a chart of the sound tests for the 10 suppressors tested
http://www.recoilweb.com/recoil-rated-1 ... 28171.html
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Spectre and Sparrow are still two top performers plus don't forget Liberty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
dtp

Post by dtp »

delta9mda wrote:Element baffles are 17-4
Thanks yes the baffles are stainless on the element. I prefer to go through Silencershop as they have my prints, trust, etc to where I can just buy all I want for the next 2 years without paper work.

And yeah the gm-22 I'm getting will probably be shared between a tactical sol upper on a buckmark and a 22/45 lite. Other stuff I'm looking for the best I can get since silencers are a PITA to get. Might as well go all out...

For the integral 10/22 suppressors. I guess they won't work with the 10/22 takedown, just the regular ruger 10/22?
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Ruger sells an integral for the 10/22 takedown
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

a_canadian

Post by a_canadian »

fishman wrote:Ruger sells an integral for the 10/22 takedown
Yup indeedy, this weird and wonderful thing here:
http://www.ruger.com/news/2017-04-27.html
Loads of volume for excellent suppression, designed for easy maintenance. I'd like one, but on a bolt action takedown, as a semi-auto is still plenty loud at the port.
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

savage54 wrote:
dtp wrote:
a_canadian wrote: ... and would add the AAC Element II to my short list.

I'm too lazy to look right now, but doesn't the Element II have aluminum baffles? As often as you have to clean rimfire suppressors, I'd want something with steel (maybe titanium) baffles, so that I could clean it using the dip, or ultransonic cleaner, or wet tumbling with stainless steel pins.

I will second the recommendation for the Dead Air Mask HD. Also, I'll throw in a recommendation for the Silencerco Spectre II. The Spectre is around 6" long, the Mask is a bit over 5". Both have minimal FRP, stainless baffles, and great customer service.

One word of caution about ultrasonic cleaners, though. Don't put the tubes or end caps in, just the baffles. I've heard of several (and seen a couple) cases where the microscopic bubble action of the cleaner eats away the external finish. But it really helps with cleaning the baffles.

Also, one thing to remember about the SilencerShop web site - they do not list any SilencerCo products since the two companies had a falling out a year or two back. So don't rule out SilencerCo items just because you don't see them on that site.

Just thought of another one to look at - the ThunderBeast Takedown 22. I've heard good things about it, but have not actually heard one in person. I do have a TB Ultra 30, and if the Takedown 22 has anywhere near the build quality and performance, it should be fantastic.
Dont put Titanium in a ultra sonic cleaner or the dip. Element 2 baffles are stainless.
Last edited by Killerapplesauce on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

I have a element 2 and love it if i had to buy another .22 suppressor id look at the dead air mask or the rugged oculus but all you listed are good suppressors. One thing you want to look at is the FRP (first round pop) the element 2 has very little FRP cant speak for the others though waiting for the HPA to pass. The rugged is nice because it is modular the dead air and the rugged both use a k baffle configuration like the element 2 so should have a very low FRP. Go to youtube there should be a lot of videos on all the ones you listed.

I don't have any info on the mark 4 they are still pretty new and haven't had all the bugs worked out yet. I would highly recommend a ruger mark 3 or the ruger 22/45.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

a_canadian wrote:
fishman wrote:Ruger sells an integral for the 10/22 takedown
Yup indeedy, this weird and wonderful thing here:
http://www.ruger.com/news/2017-04-27.html
Loads of volume for excellent suppression, designed for easy maintenance. I'd like one, but on a bolt action takedown, as a semi-auto is still plenty loud at the port.
A gedanken experiment comparing a nominal 6" x 1" - .22 suppressor like the Ruger
with a tube of 1.725" diameter you get for same length around a 4x increase in volume.
Obvious that this will meter quieter than the Ruger's purported ~114 Db.

If one were to keep the same 1" diameter then what would be a WAG reduction
if a 9" x 1" Ruger tube were used?

When HPA passes ... come on guys, pass either HPA or SUSH already as we voted for you to serve us expeditiously,
not remain supine for the DemoNrats :) ... I plan on purchasing 2 Ruger Silencers ( their super
baffle surface topology ) and dopple ganging their baffles into a single 9" long Ti tube.
Emulating the estimable PTK's 10" K-Baffle can that no longer is available on YouTube.

Why? Same reason I like my DWM Artillery Luger, my 50mm -300 mm NIKON Zoom, etc.

Maybe it will inspire Ruger to offer longer cans also.

One can dream that our folks in Congress get on the stick finally.
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Ya the integral take down model is on my list for sure. I have the both the charger and the 10/22 :)

Agree Congress needs to get off there asses :evil:
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

a_canadian

Post by a_canadian »

Come on guys, as Infowars is reporting, Congress, Trump and Pence, they're actually going like gangbusters passing laws and deleting Obama's laws by the hundreds. Not good enough? Of course I say that tongue firmly in cheek. This Republican-dominated government is doing almost nothing. Treading water basically. And if it weren't for the colossal scale of human suffering they're causing I'd find it funny. As it is, silencer related laws seem to be pretty low on the list, with tens of millions of your most vulnerable citizens facing imminent loss of access to healthcare and your government busy fighting amongst themselves about just how many should suffer rather than doing something to help all. Still, sure, it'd be great if they could get their collective s--t together and behave like grown-ups and do some real work already, including whatever BATF-related stuff that should have been dealt with long ago. It's been 6 months after all.
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

a_canadian wrote:Come on guys, as Infowars is reporting, Congress, Trump and Pence, they're actually going like gangbusters passing laws and deleting Obama's laws by the hundreds. Not good enough? Of course I say that tongue firmly in cheek. This Republican-dominated government is doing almost nothing. Treading water basically. And if it weren't for the colossal scale of human suffering they're causing I'd find it funny. As it is, silencer related laws seem to be pretty low on the list, with tens of millions of your most vulnerable citizens facing imminent loss of access to healthcare and your government busy fighting amongst themselves about just how many should suffer rather than doing something to help all. Still, sure, it'd be great if they could get their collective s--t together and behave like grown-ups and do some real work already, including whatever BATF-related stuff that should have been dealt with long ago. It's been 6 months after all.
Love your fake news. Have you guys ever noticed that no one flees to canada for their healthcare LMFAO 8)
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

a_canadian

Post by a_canadian »

Fake news. A brilliantly simple bit of trolling. And the one thing for which your clown in chief will be remembered.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Killerapplesauce wrote:...
Love your fake news. Have you guys ever noticed that no one flees to canada for their healthcare LMFAO 8)
And freedom is always low on the list for communists.

Mediocrity loves company.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

a_canadian

Post by a_canadian »

And simplemindedness is a hallmark of American conservatives. I've never once felt the slightest inclination towards communism. But feel free, simplify, project, troll along with your merry senile leader. As much suffering as his ilk are causing, it is still at least darkly amusing to watch his not so slow race to utter failure.

And then of course there's the HPA and subsequent desperate bids for your orange golfing god's attention. I honestly do hope some version works, as the various restrictions on firearms related stuff in your country are less foolish than in mine, but still pretty darn foolish. I just don't think it's likely to happen for you. He really does not care about what you care about, unless someone hands him a few million in unmarked bills... Or perhaps a few hundred million... The Donald is quite used to being perceived as a billionaire and a few measly millions wouldn't likely curry favour. Maybe a tweet?
Deserteaglexxx

Post by Deserteaglexxx »

In my testing the rugged Oculus Edges out the erector and blows away the DA mask for suppression.
Oculus is shorter than the erector with 10 baffles but is also twice as heavy as the erector.
I did some quick testing of the 3 today exact same conditions host and ammo, the 10 shot average results were:
Base line: 156.7 & 155.9 db
Oculus: 116.88db First rd pop: 8.5db higher
Erector: 117.23db First rd pop: 5db higher
Mask: 120.2db First rd pop: 4db higher
Erector w/7 baffles: 121.12db
Erector w/5 baffles: 131.46db
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Interesting Oculus you might have changed my mind. Not interested at all in the Erector with only one stainless steel baffle and the rest aluminum.