5.56mm can for rimfires?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

mbogo
Silent But Deadly

5.56mm can for rimfires?

Post by mbogo »

Looking at prices of rimfire cans capable of handling .22LR, .17HMR, .22WMR, and 5.7x28, I notice that they're within spitting distance of some 5.56mm cans (e.g., the YHM Turbo).

What do you folks think of just going with a 5.56mm can and using it for 5.56mm, 5.7x28, and rimfires (.22LR would only be copper-washed bullets)?

thanks,
mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Re: 5.56mm can for rimfires?

Post by curtistactical »

The biggest problem you run into with using the 556 suppressor on rimfires is that you end up with a lot larger and heavier can than needed. The closest I have come to being that versatile is our Curtis Tactical ST9CFP, it is a 9mm suppressor with a booster that unscrews from the rear cap leaving a 5/8-24 thread. It works great on 9mm, 300 blk down to 8"bbl, 5.56mm down to 16"bbl, and 308win down to 20" bbl. It is 1.375" dia x 7" long and weighs 13oz, it is user serviceable and all ss construction. It also works pretty well on rimfire.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

Thank you. The extra few ounces won't bother me on a rifle; I wouldn't mount a 5.56mm can on a handgun except at the range..

mbogo
wally2000

Post by wally2000 »

Even with copper washed bullets, 22's are extremely dirty and powder residue cakes on way fast. In short, if your can cannot be disassembled and cleaned, never put 22 through it. Best to save up a bit more and get a bespoke 22 can. i know its more expensive but you can ruin most 556 cans by shooting 22 ammo though it.
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

Thanks. I have a .22LR-only can, but want something for the 'larger' rimfires (which shoot jacketed bullets), as well.

I figure a 5.56 can could do double duty.

mbogo
ozleux

Post by ozleux »

I use my YHM ULT-30-Ti for 22lr to 308 Win. I was somewhat concerned about build up in a sealed can with the 22 and coated lead for the 300blk, so I called
Yankee Hill. I spoke to a very helpful gentleman whose reply was, "We just shoot the junk out of them. A couple mags of 5.56 or 308 should do it."
After about 30 5.56, I removed the can, tapped it on the bench, and a bunch of junk came out. While not "brand new clean", it's clean enough to suit me.
Or, you could look into a user serviceable can. Don't know of any 5.56, however Rugged makes some nice 30 cal. cans.
Malinois- French for "Don't get one"
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

Thanks. I really appreciate that feedback.

I current have a .22LR-only can., a .30 cal. can, an Osprey 45 for my centerfire handguns, and a .458 can.

My .30 cal. can is heavy (24+oz.) and is really outsized for my 5.56/.223s, let alone the .17HMR, et al.

The YHM Turbo weigh less than half that, which is why I am strongly leaning that way. :wink:

mbogo
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

We also build a suppressor made for the 5.7x28, it is our ST57FA, It is all stainless, user serviceable, and is 1" diameter x 6.8" long and weighs 7oz., the reason for not mentioning this one right off is that it isn't enough can for 5.56mm, it will handle the pressure it just doesn't have enough volume to be effective on the 5.56. If you would like something custom designed for your needs email me at [email protected], I will be more than happy to get you as close as we can come to running between the different platforms, everything we build is user serviceable and uses our threaded baffles. It might be worth looking into one built out of titanium for the purpose you are looking for.
Joe
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

ozleux wrote:I use my YHM ULT-30-Ti for 22lr to 308 Win. I was somewhat concerned about build up in a sealed can with the 22 and coated lead for the 300blk, so I called
Yankee Hill. I spoke to a very helpful gentleman whose reply was, "We just shoot the junk out of them. A couple mags of 5.56 or 308 should do it."
After about 30 5.56, I removed the can, tapped it on the bench, and a bunch of junk came out. While not "brand new clean", it's clean enough to suit me.
Or, you could look into a user serviceable can. Don't know of any 5.56, however Rugged makes some nice 30 cal. cans.
Interesting!!

The first can I bought, when I didn't know much, was a YH 30 cal Phantom sledge hammer of a can that is not user serviceable. I don't use it for .22s but do shoot 300 BLK cast bullets in it from time to time when my 9 and 45 cans are on something else.

It is the lead buildup that concerns me. Have you weighed yours to see if there is a weight increase? Know any other way to see if you got the lead out? I suppose a person could use the "DIP" as long as there is no aluminum involved but want to avoid this if possible.
ozleux

Post by ozleux »

No, I have't weighed it recently. But, comparing it to one that was purchased at the same time, that has only had supersonic, jacketed ammo through it, there is no noticeable weight
or visual difference. Also, they advised against using the "dip" or sonic cleaners with titanium cans.
Just my opinion, but I think the chemicals in the dip are more hazardous than I care to deal with, and a sonic cleaner may cause micro cracks in the welds, which would lead to a
breakage ( welding is the only thing I'm good at :lol: )
These days, all suppressor companies make some really nice stuff. They all do the same thing. What sets one apart from another, is service. I can only speak for YHM, and those folks are top notch.
I know very little about Rugged, other than where their raw materials come from, and it comes from one of the best in the country (in my opinion). My next purchased can will most likely be
one of the Rugged 7.62 cans.
Malinois- French for "Don't get one"
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

Well, thanks to my precious research and your helpful comments, I ordered my YHM Turbo 5.56 through Silencer Shop yesterday.

Now, the long wait begins! I have a few barrels that need threading :D

mbogo
roodyrocker
Silent Operator

Post by roodyrocker »

I don't have a YHM can in 5.56 but will add that I have a YHM Cobra M2 can and YHM was awesome as far as customer service when it needed a repair. They also turned it around in under a week including shipping time! Can't beat that.

Rudy
Rudy
1791 Firearms, LLC