Maxim 1910 Acquisition

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

OldWestGuns

Maxim 1910 Acquisition

Post by OldWestGuns »

Well, here it is. It just came in, finally. I got it all cleaned up, inside and out. 1910 Maxim Silencer on a legal tax stamp along with it's matching High Standard Model C in .22Short. Mount and silencer have interrupted threads for quick detachment. We couldn't find the original 1930s stamp, for collectibility sake, but ATF only cares that it's in the book and they get the current one back. I'm an FFL/SOT so the paper wait time wasn't god awful painful.

Hiram Maxim invented the silencer in 1908 while inventing the muffler for automobiles. In 1910, he did a little patent protection and went into production. This is the model from 1910 and it originally cost $3-5 delivered.

No, it's not for sale. Also from this estate is a H&R .410 Handygun with stamps back to 1939, and a pre-WWII Romo Italian picklock.

I've owned some neat stuff, but this is probably the neatest ever. My long gone friends Ed and Bruce would greatly approve. Miss you guys, wish I could show this to you and go play with it. I'll be thinkin' of you when I go put some lead through it in a couple weeks.

The backstory is just as fascinating as the Maxim. Grandpa was a bootlegger and ran Canadian rum and whisky in the Pacific Northwest until Prohibition was repealed. Afterwards, he smuggled Russian diamonds. I acquired all three toys from the granddaughter, who is a customer of mine in my gun store.

The damage to the Maxim was done with a dremel. I suspect that it was done in the 50s, when they commercially hit the market, to clean up some rust. I have yet to decide what, if anything, I am going to do to the finish, grinding, and or bluing. I don't have a shipping tube, but I am going to recreate one. The tube itself was commonly used for all kinds of tooling bits and I may actually have one somewhere, color laser printer for the tube cover. Take me a weekend to assemble it.

John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Maxim 1910 Acquisition

Post by John A. »

Very nice first post.

There is a lot of interesting early photos and advertisements that you can find online for the maxim silencer.

I remember one in specific that mentioned having shooting matches inside the house :shock:
I don't care what your chart says
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

What a neat piece of history to own.

Congrats!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Nice to see an original one preserved. I am sure that many were tossed or destroyed for the lack of paperwork.