Caliber choice for TC Encore Pistol

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Ky-Moonshiner
Silent Operator

Caliber choice for TC Encore Pistol

Post by Ky-Moonshiner »

I'm in need of a barrel to shoot suppressed almost exclusively but I'd like to be able to do some heavy loads for certain game.

I'm thinking .357 to shoot full-power, and .38 for subsonic, would I see any stability issues shooting .38 in the .357 magnum chamber? What twist rate is recommended I think I can chose between 1:14 or 1:20.

I'm not opposed to 300 BLK or 44 magnum either.

I have factory and form 1 cans for 9mm, .45 and .30 caliber. This is a single shot pistol i'll probably use for hiking/snakes/squirrel/rabbits. I'll go with a 6.5" barrel and an aimpoint micro.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: Caliber choice for TC Encore Pistol

Post by fishman »

Choose a fast twist if you want to shoot heavy subs. I would do 45-70 or 45-70 whisper if I were you. The encore platform is more convenient to load and unload with rimmed cartridges, so 357mag, 41mag, 44mag, 45LC, 454, 460, 45-70 and 500s&w is where I'd start researching.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Ky-Moonshiner wrote:I'm in need of a barrel to shoot suppressed almost exclusively but I'd like to be able to do some heavy loads for certain game.

I'm thinking .357 to shoot full-power, and .38 for subsonic, would I see any stability issues shooting .38 in the .357 magnum chamber? What twist rate is recommended I think I can chose between 1:14 or 1:20.

I'm not opposed to 300 BLK or 44 magnum either.

I have factory and form 1 cans for 9mm, .45 and .30 caliber. This is a single shot pistol i'll probably use for hiking/snakes/squirrel/rabbits. I'll go with a 6.5" barrel and an aimpoint micro.
The 1:14 would be what I chose.

No, you wouldn't have stability problems when switching back and for the between 38 and 357.

I have single shot NEF that I use for whitetail and stuff.

The 38's are really quiet too. Even +p 38.

357 isn't too bad, but there is a crack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY2FT4eyoRA
I don't care what your chart says
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

What ever caliber you choose, I would highly recommend that you spend the $200 and make your frame a SBR. I did that to one of my G2 Contenders and intend to do so with my newly purchased Encore frame. That way you can slap a stock on it with any barrel length. A 10” 300 Blk barrel and a side folding stock make for a very small package.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

300 BLK would probably offer the most versatility with its ability to go from subsonic to 2000 fps and shoot from 87 to 247 grain bullets. It would also be the quietest suppressed of the options you mentioned
garredondojr
Silent But Deadly

Post by garredondojr »

get the 1:14 357 and send it off to Mike Bellm and have it reamed to a 357 maximum. you can then shoot all 3 and when you want to amp things up for hunting you slide in some 357 max's loaded with 180gr 35 remington bullets and you have near 30-30 levels of power on tap.

the rcbs or its copycat 200gr fn mold makes for some inexpensive fun shooting. running these in 38spl cases (if keeping the 357 chambering) or in 357 cases if you go max makes for some fun low cost shooting. and has alot of wallop even going subsonic.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I'd also suggest 357 out of those choices. 300blk is a great suppressed rifle round but in a single shot the 357 has a whole lot going for it. Not least of those being cheap (stupidly cheap) subsonic ammo on every retail ammo shelf. I have a 357 Handi that I shoot 38 plated wadcutters (commercial reloads, embarrassingly cheap) that sound as close to Hollywood as I've heard. You can get 38 with high quality bullets that expand on impact at low speeds if you need to put some whoop ass on a trash panda from anywhere that sells ammo. 300blk is getting easier to get all the time but I still see more FMJ on the shelf than anything else, especially in sub sonic. I dig the 300blk but there is undeniable utility in the 357/38 round. Cheap subsonics for plinking, expanding subs and full power loads that have genuine authority.

I hear they make revolvers in 357 too :lol:
road_clam

Post by road_clam »

Interesting I stumbled upon this thread. I bought a new Encore SS pistol frame about a month ago (TC/ Remmy has a $75 rebate promo currently). I ordered a custom MGM .243 Win 15" barrel with a fast 1-8" twist to shoot 90+ gr bullets. I also own the Revolution 45 can. Was also contemplating buying an off the shelf TC 44 mag barrel have it threaded and shoot subs suppressed. I already load for a Desert Eagle 44 so I have all the components.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

road_clam wrote:I ordered a custom MGM .243 Win 15" barrel with a fast 1-8" twist to shoot 90+ gr bullets.
Hows the fireball on the business end of that?
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
road_clam

Post by road_clam »

fishman wrote:
road_clam wrote:I ordered a custom MGM .243 Win 15" barrel with a fast 1-8" twist to shoot 90+ gr bullets.
Hows the fireball on the business end of that?
I just ordered the barrel about a week ago, and MGM has about a 4 week lead time, i'll let ya know soon enough ! (Can't be any worse than my 12' 460 S&W mag revolver ) :shock:
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

So did you end up getting one yet?

And do you reload, or are you limited to factory ammo? Because that might influence what would be the best choice for you. There are a lot of good chamberings out there that are either difficult to find factory ammo in, or that won't come near to the potential available to them in a Contender.

The nice thing about the the Contender or Encore is that you don't have to chose just one caliber. Barrels are easy to swap out. Next thing you know, you will be looking for more barrels to have threaded. I'm getting ready to send off my .45-70 and .221 Fireball barrels to get threaded next.

As noted, .357 Mag is a great choice to shoot suppressed, and is good for deer-sized game out to 100 yds. or more. I bought a 16" MGM barrel in .357 Maximum last winter, and it's a real screamer. I'm getting over 2400 fps. with a 140 gr. FTX, and 180s and 200s are approaching 2000 fps.

Oh yeah, and I'll second the suggestion to SBR the gun. A 10" barrel with a 8" to 10" can hanging off the front end balances very well on a Contender rifle.