9mm Suppressor recommendation

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

pistolpeta
Silent Operator

9mm Suppressor recommendation

Post by pistolpeta »

Hello all!

After shooting a friends Gemtech (GM-9?, its an old can that has cone baffles and not the new mono-baffle) on my pistol with subs, im looking at 9mm cans. (it was great! ran perfect and was super quiet)
I would prefer a 9mm specific can, although if a 45-can, can get it close to the same dB reduction, I'm open to that as well.

Mainly concerned with the weight and sound reduction. If the price is high, I'll just keep saving until I can procure one.
I'd like to keep it under 10oz as his suppressor is just over 6oz? if I read that correctly?(all aluminum?)

Anyway, If you have any recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.
I've read many reviews from people who only own one can, which doesn't really help.
Host will be a G19 with SiCo Barrel.

Thus far have been considering:
-GM-9
-GM-45
-Tirant-9
-Illousion-9

Thank you for your time.
-Pete
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 9mm Suppressor recommendation

Post by mars »

my next can will more than likely be the Obsidian 9. it's heavy in the long configuration, but the short configuration is 8.7oz. plus it's priced right!
the POWPOW now goes powpow
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

I was about to say, one of my buddies said to look at the obsidian series. He suggests the 45 though. And then just change the endcap.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

pistolpeta wrote:I was about to say, one of my buddies said to look at the obsidian series. He suggests the 45 though. And then just change the endcap.
+1

Have the Republican Leaders finally been given a sufficient shot of restorative
testosterone by our President to pass the long overdue Hearing Protection
Act, no longer being cowered by Chuck "Decon Box Poster-Boy" Schumer?

A rallying motto (?):

Stop Kicking the Can Down The Road, Senate! :) :)

Help American industries grow.
Save future generation's hearing as mandated
in Finland.
Make this wonderful boutique board Great Again.

A most propitious Happy New Year to all our brethren.
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

octane 45. easy choice. get the 9mm endcap if you want.
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

bani wrote:octane 45. easy choice. get the 9mm endcap if you want.
Any reason to choose the Octane 45 over the Obsidian 45?
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

pistolpeta wrote:
bani wrote:octane 45. easy choice. get the 9mm endcap if you want.
Any reason to choose the Octane 45 over the Obsidian 45?
Or the osprey 45k, or the tirant 45m, etc...
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

Ohh, so just make sure to get a 45 can is what you're saying?
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

A 45 can is way more versatile and they sound just as good as 9mm cans but they're typically a little bit bigger.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

Excellent!
:mrgreen:
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

I own quite a few suppressors and my favorite 9mm dedicated can is the AAC Tirant 9 M. It has baffles which I prefer over louder monocores and I don't get any first round pop in the long configuration. I almost always shoot it wet with a little RemOil sprayed in both ends. The Tirant 45M on a 9mm handgun is always quieter than the dedicated Tirant 9... bigger and more internal area for suppression.
The Liberty Mystic X is a very quiet can on a 9 for a monocore, of course it's a fairly long but light can. I'm considering getting a second Mystic X and leaving it on my MP5 where it does an incredible job with subsonic ammo. ... Libertys are the only monocores I can recommend. The Gemtech GM series have always sounded louder to me unless shot wet and when the ablative wears off it's very noticeable!
pistolpeta
Silent Operator

Post by pistolpeta »

gsyoung54 wrote:I own quite a few suppressors and my favorite 9mm dedicated can is the AAC Tirant 9 M. It has baffles which I prefer over louder monocores and I don't get any first round pop in the long configuration. I almost always shoot it wet with a little RemOil sprayed in both ends. The Tirant 45M on a 9mm handgun is always quieter than the dedicated Tirant 9... bigger and more internal area for suppression.
The Liberty Mystic X is a very quiet can on a 9 for a monocore, of course it's a fairly long but light can. I'm considering getting a second Mystic X and leaving it on my MP5 where it does an incredible job with subsonic ammo. ... Libertys are the only monocores I can recommend. The Gemtech GM series have always sounded louder to me unless shot wet and when the ablative wears off it's very noticeable!
You are the man!

I was concerned about using a 45 can on a 9mm, thinking the 9mm would be better for it, on top of lighter.
I too have heard alot of good about both the Tirant and the Mystic.

I took a leap of faith on the Rugged Obsidian 45, submitted my paperwork and am continuing on with life as usual, putting the wait out of my mind.

Thanks for the experience man, this is the kind of stuff people like to hear.