what to do? what to do?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

calixt0

what to do? what to do?

Post by calixt0 »

hello all, I'm new and just getting ready to take the plunge on a suppressor. I'm going back and forth between several. One that alot of local guys talk about is Silencer tech. I seem really well liked around here (OKC area). Also considering the Omega, Sandman Ti, and the sig sauer. As a side note I've even thought about doing a form 1 since I have 2 lathes in my garage (1 10" and 1 7") that I could make my own as well. Some I've talked to discourage making their own but would like your thoughts as well?

Thanks for the time opinions and advice.

Shaun
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: what to do? what to do?

Post by fishman »

Make your own!

READ THE COMPLETED BUILDS THREAD

If you're decent at lathe work you can make a can for half price that works just as good. It's only worth it if you enjoy doing it though, the hours you put into it would probably more than pay the difference if you spent them at work.

What specifically are you planning on suppressing?
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
calixt0

Post by calixt0 »

I was planning on suppressing my 270win to use until I can get better set up for some PRS Shooting. Was talking to a retailer and they said my gun wont take fit a suppressor that 5/8x24.. I came home measured it and sure enough the muzzle is only .585 so there goes that idea. may still try to use same gun for some PRS until I can afford differently but no sense in suppressing what wont fit the suppressor. LOL Unless I end up going 1/2x28 threads for it.. don't think I really want to go that route tho... too many options all at once. I might just build myself since I'm medically retired and have the free time.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

You could have someone make you an adapter and then use a 5/8x24 silencer (make sure it's rated for 270).

Or you could make a custom can.

If it were me, id make a custom can that attaches to an industry standard muzzle brake, probably griffin. Then I'd make a custom muzzle brake that fits your 270 and fits your can.

OR you could buy a griffin can and make a custom muzzle brake for it.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

calixt0 wrote:I was planning on suppressing my 270win to use until I can get better set up for some PRS Shooting. Was talking to a retailer and they said my gun wont take fit a suppressor that 5/8x24.. I came home measured it and sure enough the muzzle is only .585 so there goes that idea. may still try to use same gun for some PRS until I can afford differently but no sense in suppressing what wont fit the suppressor. LOL Unless I end up going 1/2x28 threads for it.. don't think I really want to go that route tho... too many options all at once. I might just build myself since I'm medically retired and have the free time.
I make collars and adapters all the time for skinny sporter barrels. That said, there's no reason to not go 1/2-28 on hunting rifles .30 cal & smaller to keep cost down and maintain barrel profile. .585" gives enough shoulder with 1/2-28 threads.

As for build vs. buy, that really depends on your capabilities and how you value your time. There's always the satisfaction of having done it yourself and saved money if done in your free time, but the overwhelming majority of form 1 cans I've encountered that were made by hobbyists and amateurs were easily identifiable as such in regards to both the aesthetics and performance. Sounds like you're running smaller machines and perhaps lacking a mill, so being able to turn out something that will measure up to commercial offerings in terms of weight, suppression, minimal POI shift and impact on accuracy is probably going to be a tall order. But it's up to you to evaluate your capabilities & skill level to make that call.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
calixt0

Post by calixt0 »

ECCO Machine wrote:
calixt0 wrote:I was planning on suppressing my 270win to use until I can get better set up for some PRS Shooting. Was talking to a retailer and they said my gun wont take fit a suppressor that 5/8x24.. I came home measured it and sure enough the muzzle is only .585 so there goes that idea. may still try to use same gun for some PRS until I can afford differently but no sense in suppressing what wont fit the suppressor. LOL Unless I end up going 1/2x28 threads for it.. don't think I really want to go that route tho... too many options all at once. I might just build myself since I'm medically retired and have the free time.
I make collars and adapters all the time for skinny sporter barrels. That said, there's no reason to not go 1/2-28 on hunting rifles .30 cal & smaller to keep cost down and maintain barrel profile. .585" gives enough shoulder with 1/2-28 threads.

As for build vs. buy, that really depends on your capabilities and how you value your time. There's always the satisfaction of having done it yourself and saved money if done in your free time, but the overwhelming majority of form 1 cans I've encountered that were made by hobbyists and amateurs were easily identifiable as such in regards to both the aesthetics and performance. Sounds like you're running smaller machines and perhaps lacking a mill, so being able to turn out something that will measure up to commercial offerings in terms of weight, suppression, minimal POI shift and impact on accuracy is probably going to be a tall order. But it's up to you to evaluate your capabilities & skill level to make that call.
I might just do that.. I'm thinking i'm gonna build. As I'm medically retired my time isn't all that valuable. I've got time in spades.. Now to work on design. Any pointers?
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I think 270 would do well with a lot of long cones stacked inside of it.

Like these from Curtis Tactical

Would take a little time to do, but you're in the same boat that I'm in. I got a lot more time than I do money or anything else.

Or stepped cones

I don't care what your chart says