Griffing Optimus vs buying dedicated 22lr & 308 suppressors?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

boostmg

Griffing Optimus vs buying dedicated 22lr & 308 suppressors?

Post by boostmg »

OK guys so I've been doing a lot of research. When I watch silencershops videos of dedicated suppressors at 22lr and 308 and even 9mm ... vs the griffin optimus ... a lot of the DB ratings are very similar, some might be 5DB (which i think it still significant)

Either way though, am I missing out THAT much if I got the optimus?

I really plan on suppressing 22lr and 308 calibers like the blackout. 9mm i may shoot supppressed for fun one day (would be nice to have) but isn't critical..

Would love to hear your thoughts.

B/c otherwise I'l just got dedicated 22 & 308.

Also I like the optimus b/c i can get brakes that it can attach quickly to which is attractive.
Good Prices & Great Service - https://bigarmory.com
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Re: Griffing Optimus vs buying dedicated 22lr & 308 suppressors?

Post by gsyoung54 »

I have had an Optimus for almost a year now. It is a fantastic unit... in it's .762 full configuration it's quieter on my Blackout than my AAC 90 tooth R7 i think is the name of it. It's about the same as my Gemtech HTV Quickmount which is a very quiet suppressor and has a unique nice tone probably due to the fact that the tube is made of very thick steel and is a heavy suppressor.
In its 5.56 configuration it is equal to Griffin's own shorter Recce 5 mod 3 dedicated and sealed can.
In the 9mm configuration it is as quiet as any 9 suppressor, especially when shot wet with a little RemOil sprayed up both ends. The AAC Tirant 9 M is a very quiet 9mm can.. about the quietest dedicated 9 can I have tested but I do get less noise when I run an AAC Tirant 45 M on a 9mm host. Just more air space and I guess.
The Optimus with the appropriate piston is very quiet on my .22 Ruger SR-22, Walther P-22 and Walther PPQ-22... probably due to the relatively huge diameter for a .22 can BUT it is a heavy .22 unit and some ammo/gun combos won't cycle with the most low powered subsonic .22 ammo I can find, and I don't mean CCI's "Quiet" .22. That is for single shot or bolt action rifle use only. I really like S&B subsonic .22 LR and buy it two cases at a time but it is just on the edge of semi-auto functioning with the smaller handguns. Also, your handguns need to be very clean and lubricated with a nice synthetic to work properly in the cold up here in Alaska. Everything works better in the summer.
I really like my Optimus but then again I have about 22 suppressors, some dedicated... some multi use like the Optimus. I do not regret buying the Optimus, for months it stayed on my Sig P320 compact, now it is at home on a SBR Blackout with a 14.5 barrel. It works fine on the shorter Blackout barrels I have but as always is the case, the shorter the barrel the noisier the rifle, no matter what suppressor you use. YouTube videos of suppressed shooting are always misleading as the phones and most cameras have noise peak limiting technology that tends to flatten out noises... similar to when you burn your own CD's from different music sources...