Help me pick my first suppressors.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

cowgirlkaboom

Help me pick my first suppressors.

Post by cowgirlkaboom »

Hi, folks

Sometime in the next 48 hours I plan to start my first suppressor purchase. Well.. ok I am buying at least two.. Here is what I want to achieve and what I've seen that I think I like:

Rimfire suppressor, light, easy to clean and probably never see anything hotter then .22lr, unless there is one can handle .22 hornet. I probably don't want to spend less then $400-500, QD would be nice. It will be used on Buckmark pistol, .22 lever rifles, 10/22 and I'm sure other things. Moderate to high volume shooting. SIG SAUER SRD22X or PALMETTO STATE DEFENSE MINILITH come to mind.

.30 caliber suppressor. I'll be using this on my AR-10, various AR-15s in 5.56 and 300 blackout. Lever rifles and a contender pistol in .30-30. QD seems worthwhile here since it will live on many hosts. High volume shooting. I'd like it to be able to support .300winmag as well. I'd like to spend less then $800. Titanium/inconnel would be great, if I carry it hunting then weight counts. I have no real favorites/education on theses.

Pistol caliber suppressor. This is where it gets weird. I'd like to be able to shoot .357 diameter bullets (out a lever gun in .38 special) and below. I wouldn't mind being able to suppress my .45ACP 1911 but that is very optional. I might have to get a .40 or .45 suppressor to shoot .357 it looks like. This will mostly live on my Glocks and AR-15 9mm carbine I'm going to finish building one of theses days. $600 seems reasonable for this. Lower volume shooting. No major biases here, QD a plus.

Any magic bullets to achieve these goals? Those multi-caliber ones are tempting. I've been mostly looking at https://www.silencershop.com/ because of the east of getting the process started and limited success contacting local dealers. Dealers in the Tri-Cities Washington area or around Walla Walla, WA would be welcome too. The Kiosk thing appears to help speed things up from what I read.

I know this will summon a bunch of opinions. Are Q suppressors any good? I'm expecting political/legal changes in this state soon thus I am escalating the purchase. :)

Thanks in advance!
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help me pick my first suppressors.

Post by doubloon »

For your $800 goal you can look at the Liberty Sovereign, regular price $1050 but 25% off until Feb. 14 which brings it down to $780 and some change. It also comes with enough mounts for up to 3 hosts depending on the content of your arsenal.

For your 45 fetish you can look at the Liberty Cosmic, regular price $799 but 25% off until Feb.14 so $599.25 right now. If you don't need to suppress 45 then the Liberty Mystic X might be a better choice for the 30ish calibers and it will also handle some 300 Win Mag, same price same sale $799 -> $599. Whatever can you get for the pistol caliber purpose you'll probably need a couple different mounts which will quickly take you over your $600 budget.

Recent personal experience says you won't be able to get Liberty products from Silencerco but that might or may have changed.

I don't own one but based on independent testing results the Q Full Nelson appears to hold its own in 7.62 and 5.56 with other performance leaders like the Liberty, AAC, SAS, Silencerco, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
thequietertimhall

Post by thequietertimhall »

doubloon wrote:For your $800 goal you can look at the Liberty Sovereign, regular price $1050 but 25% off until Feb. 14 which brings it down to $780 and some change. It also comes with enough mounts for up to 3 hosts depending on the content of your arsenal.
This is very solid advice on a can that performs very well and is right in the price range you mentioned.
Tim Hall - NexGen2 Defense
423-362-1271
[email protected]
https://www.ng2defense.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ng2defense/
https://www.facebook.com/thequietertimhall/
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

I have a standard answer for this one for good reason. You can cover everything you own with just two cans:

Thunderbeast Takedown .22. About $400, 5.9 ounces, serviceable and very tough. Handles .17 rimfires & .22 Short through .22 Hornet & 5.7x28mm. I have one, it's about as quiet as they come, and works quite well on .22 WMR and .22 Hornet.

Silencerco Hybrid. $850-$900, 17 ounces, fully welded. This can is truly a do-all, can handle basically everything up to and including .45-70 government. You can hang this on a 9mm pistol, or a .338 Lapua magnum rifle. It's heavy as a pistol can and won't suppress .308 as well as something like the Thunderbeaast Ultra 9, but it's the only one that can do both of those, and so much more. And they're tough as nails. This is the perfect first centerfire can, and will help you make decisions about other more dedicated suppressors down the road. It was my first, and though I have over 20 cans now, this one still gets used, namely on my 10mm magnum AR.

Now, if you don't mind springing for three, I'd still recommend the TBAC Takedown for rimfire & Hornet, but for centerfire up to .30 cal, the TBAC Ultra 9 is very light and stupid quiet. It's the Ferrari of suppressors. But they're expensive, and you'll need to buy $120 brakes for each rifle you want to suppress. Of course, you said high volume shooting, and for ultimate durability, I look to the AAC 7.62 SDN-6 (cheap, too) or the Surefire Socom 762 RC2 (even tougher, not cheap at all). I have beat the crap out of an SDN-6 on my 13" full auto .308, so can personally attest to how tough those are. Both of those are heavy, though, at about 20 ounces.

On the pistol side, you really cannot beat the weight and suppression of the Silencerco Osprey 45, plus you don't need tall suppressor sights with it.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
cowgirlkaboom

Post by cowgirlkaboom »

Thanks again folks, I completed the purchase of a Liberty Cosmic and now the waiting starts. I'm probably going to take one of the recommendations listed here and order a couple more after tax season. I sort of think I should have considered the Osprey more closely, but alas I think the Cosmic will be a good first one! Now to see about adapting everything.. I definitely want to get a dedicated .30 and .22 next. :)
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

cowgirlkaboom wrote:Thanks again folks, I completed the purchase of a Liberty Cosmic and now the waiting starts. I'm probably going to take one of the recommendations listed here and order a couple more after tax season. I sort of think I should have considered the Osprey more closely, but alas I think the Cosmic will be a good first one! Now to see about adapting everything.. I definitely want to get a dedicated .30 and .22 next. :)
Nice choice on the Liberty Cosmic! They are the only company I will buy monocores from because they really have it down as opposed to the noisy GemTech GM series.
For a dedicated. 22 can there are so many newer cans that are soooooo quiet. I own the Dead Air Mask, Liberty Regulator (maybe the quietest of all when fired wet with RemOil or a little wire pulling gel), the Rugged modular Oculis, Ruger Silent SR and based on customer comments anything from Q will be great, and good things about the Bowers USS .22 and the AAC Halycion.
Of the ones I own neither I or my friends can really tell any difference when shooting without earpro or listening from about 15 yards away to the left or right. I don't own a sound meter and numbers can be deceiving and take into account the tone produced or the harmonic ringing of the can... so I measure things by the "G" weighted scale... the George scale.