Omega 9k vs osprey 45 for first can, big audible diffrence??

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Trvrdgr1234

Omega 9k vs osprey 45 for first can, big audible diffrence??

Post by Trvrdgr1234 »

I want to buy my first silencer I'm mainly going to use it on 9mm (pistol and civilian sub gun )and 300 blk with a shorter barrel

I'm looking at the omega 9k and the osprey 45 I would like to have the omega because of how much shorter it is but my question is that I know the osprey will suppress better but by how much? I've never used a suppressor so the numbers I find just do mean much and I just don't know how much YouTube videos translate real sound, so I'm hoping someone here has experience with both or even the omega vs a Diffrent full size can that can describe how audible the d iffrence actually is

For example will I not really notice the d iffrence unless I shot them both side by side to compare if so I'd want the omega because the length is a huge plus f9r me especially because it will be at my bedside on a 9mm pistol plus since it's rated for supersonic 300 I assume I will have no problems using on my draco sbr? (7.62×39) witch is not a priorty but would be cool

Or is the d iffrence going to be pretty damn obvious on a 9 or 300 sub to the point I may be pretty annoyed that I bought a short lil can and end up dropping money again on a quiter one

Sorry for rambling and thank you guys in advance for any info you can provide
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: Omega 9k vs osprey 45 for first can, big audible diffrence??

Post by fishman »

The osprey sucks at suppressing 300blk
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
Trvrdgr1234

Post by Trvrdgr1234 »

fishman wrote:The osprey sucks at suppressing 300blk
Thanks for the heads up man
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

There's a lot going on in this post.

The Omega 9k is 9mm and 300 Blackout only. The Osprey 45 is a pistol can (9-45) that can also handle 300 blackout subs. The Omega 9K isn't rated for 7.62x39, and that's not something I would recommend at all.

300 Blackout, you would really want a centerfire rifle can. For a sub gun, you wouldn't want the Osprey. I wouldn't run an Osprey on select fire weapons, aside from the mount not being ideal that's not what it was designed for. The Omega 9K is MUCH better on the subgun side of things. For a pistol, I prefer Osprey's over Omega 9ks.
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Joshua@CapitolArmory wrote:There's a lot going on in this post.

The Omega 9k is 9mm and 300 Blackout only. The Osprey 45 is a pistol can (9-45) that can also handle 300 blackout subs. The Omega 9K isn't rated for 7.62x39, and that's not something I would recommend at all.

300 Blackout, you would really want a centerfire rifle can. For a sub gun, you wouldn't want the Osprey. I wouldn't run an Osprey on select fire weapons, aside from the mount not being ideal that's not what it was designed for. The Omega 9K is MUCH better on the subgun side of things. For a pistol, I prefer Osprey's over Omega 9ks.
Pretty much mirrors my thoughts. For a dedicated handgun can, the Osprey is tough to beat; lightweight, very quiet, and most stock sights are pretty usable with it. But it looks wonky on a carbine, and that lightweight construction doesn't lend well to heavy use on sub guns or the kind of rapid fire with larger magazines a PCC or 300 blk carbine is likely to punish it with.

If you also want to run 7.62x39, they're both out. They might take it briefly, but neither is designed for that kind of heat and pressure.

If you want a can which will handle pistols, 300 blk and also be usable with 7.62x39, you're talking something heavier duty like the SiCo Hybrid (which will also be fine on magnum rifles and SBRs). But it's heavy on a pistol and absolutely necessitates suppressor sights.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
Trvrdgr1234

Post by Trvrdgr1234 »

Hey guys thanx for all the input after further research I just ordered the rugged obsidian 45

Yeah I didn't really know anything about 300 except for the peolpe who had them always said "supersonic 300 is equal to 7.62" I shoulda known better when I seen the round with that thin casing lol

Now time to play the waiting game but at least I can go shoot it 20mins from my house in the meantime
Trvrdgr1234

Post by Trvrdgr1234 »

Maybe I'll pick up a dead air wolverine when I can justify buying another