badly damaged ears, need help for omega/300 blk setup

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Airwolf

badly damaged ears, need help for omega/300 blk setup

Post by Airwolf »

Shooting has severely taken a toll on my ears. I have 24 hour a day severe ringing for years and now have severe sound sensitivity. I am a long time user of 5.56 AR's, but that has come to a screeching halt. Even with the best in ear plugs and earmuffs, I struggle to shoot. I've been researching all info I can find on 300 blackout subsonic with a suppressor for the past year and believe this is going to let me get back to shooting a long gun.

I have a Silencerco omega suppressor, never shot, sitting in the safe. I will ONLY be using subsonic ammo. My issue is I need the quietest setup possible in a semi auto, (I know a bolt gun would be quieter at the ear). Every decibel to me counts and I have had to learn how decibels scales are not linear and a few decibel difference will be significant in my case.

I am ready to buy a 300 blackout upper and I don't know what barrel length to get for the best sound reduction. I really want to do the sbr route with a 9-10 inch barrel with a suppressor. I know the 300 blackout was designed for those barrel lengths, where I keep reading conflicting information is whether a 16 in barrel with a suppressor would be quieter on the 300 blackout?

Obviously it would be a lot more cumbersome, and normally that would bother me, but I don't care at this point. I have had some people tell me that a 16 inch barrel may make some factory subsonic loads go supersonic (I wont be reloading). I have had people tell me that in specifically 300 blackout, a 9 or 10 inch barrel would be the quietest vs 16in, which goes against common wisdom for 5.56, but a lot of people act like that's not the case for 300 blackout?

Does anyone have any experience with 300 blackout subsonic sound intensity, sbr vs 16 barrel. Any help would be so greatly appreciated!
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: badly damaged ears, need help for omega/300 blk setup

Post by doubloon »

Based on stuff I've read on the interwebs, on a H&R break action 16.5", the right can will produce under 120dB at the ear ... SpecWar, SRD338, SRD762

The Leonidas integral at 9" is a little over 120dB, about the same as an Omega on a 16.5" CZ 527.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Integral is what you seek. I've heard nothing but praise about the liberty leonidas. There's custom manufactures like curtis tactical. Or you could do a form 1 can.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I want to caution you on a standard AR platform though. To be fair I haven't gotten shoot any other builds for comparison but my own 300 blk 8.2" build is still kind of loud to my ears with subs. But the big reason for me is the action noise of an AR. I'd look into one of the Sig MCX options in 300BLk as it is a piston system so there is less action noise without a buffer tube next to your ear. I have a MPX in 9mm that I can very comfortably shoot without hearing protection using subsonic 9mm ammo but the same ammo in my old 9mm AR was very uncomfortable due to this action noise. This is just my experience and I'm sure others have different input which I'd be interested in reading as well.

+1 on the integral options though for best suppression.

Good Luck!
mgobel

Post by mgobel »

Airwolf wrote:Shooting has severely taken a toll on my ears.

I am ready to buy a 300 blackout upper and I don't know what barrel length to get for the best sound reduction...

Does anyone have any experience with 300 blackout subsonic sound intensity, sbr vs 16 barrel. Any help would be so greatly appreciated!
I own several 300 blackout SBR's. I also own an Omega and a sig SRD 762 QD TI.

If you want to just get an upper receiver and use your Omega, I suggest the following:

1) Get the 30 caliber Omega end cap or an aftermarket titanium 30 caliber end cap.

2) Obtain a silent buffer system from JP Enterprises.

3) Use 208 grain Amax loads. In my two rifle systems, they seem to perform the best with respect to sound reduction.

4) I do not know if a variable gas block would help here. I have not felt the need for one when shooting 300 blackout.

If you want to change suppressors, I do not think that the sig SRD 762 TI QD has a peer when it comes to sound reduction in 300 blackout.There is a noticeable difference in sound intensity when comparing the sig and the Omega. Some say that the thread on version of the sig is quieter. I don't own one so I cannot comment.

As suggested above, you can also get an MCX upper or an integral 300 blackout suppressed upper.

I own 8 1/2 inch and 10 1/2 inch barreled Rifles. A 16-inch barrel is too long for a cartridge that burns all its powder in the first 9 inches or so.

YMMV
Airwolf

Post by Airwolf »

hyrulejedi86 wrote:Sorry to hear about your troubles. I want to caution you on a standard AR platform though. To be fair I haven't gotten shoot any other builds for comparison but my own 300 blk 8.2" build is still kind of loud to my ears with subs. But the big reason for me is the action noise of an AR. I'd look into one of the Sig MCX options in 300BLk as it is a piston system so there is less action noise without a buffer tube next to your ear. I have a MPX in 9mm that I can very comfortably shoot without hearing protection using subsonic 9mm ammo but the same ammo in my old 9mm AR was very uncomfortable due to this action noise. This is just my experience and I'm sure others have different input which I'd be interested in reading as well.

Good Luck!

When you say your 300 blk is loud to your ears are u wearing hearing protection and what suppressor. I have recently became aware of the MCX and MPX guns from Sig and they seem very interesting and I'm glad u mentioned them. So you may have answered another question I've been wondering... if sub 9mm suppressed is quieter than sub 300 blk out suppressed? What confuses my on the MCX is I've always heard direct impingement is quieter than piston?
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

9mm is quieter than 300blk. It has only about half as much powder behind it. Something that isn't direct blowback would be your best bet.

Look into these:
Kriss vector
Mp5 clone
Cmmg mkg guard (with action tuning kit)
Mpx

All of those come in 9mm. None of those are direct blowback. All except the vector would be good hosts for an integral can (maybe even the vector if you buy an aftermarket extended handguard)

If you end up with a 300blk ar or the cmmg guard, put a JP silent spring kit in it.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

Airwolf wrote:
hyrulejedi86 wrote:Sorry to hear about your troubles. I want to caution you on a standard AR platform though. To be fair I haven't gotten shoot any other builds for comparison but my own 300 blk 8.2" build is still kind of loud to my ears with subs. But the big reason for me is the action noise of an AR. I'd look into one of the Sig MCX options in 300BLk as it is a piston system so there is less action noise without a buffer tube next to your ear. I have a MPX in 9mm that I can very comfortably shoot without hearing protection using subsonic 9mm ammo but the same ammo in my old 9mm AR was very uncomfortable due to this action noise. This is just my experience and I'm sure others have different input which I'd be interested in reading as well.

Good Luck!

When you say your 300 blk is loud to your ears are u wearing hearing protection and what suppressor. I have recently became aware of the MCX and MPX guns from Sig and they seem very interesting and I'm glad u mentioned them. So you may have answered another question I've been wondering... if sub 9mm suppressed is quieter than sub 300 blk out suppressed? What confuses my on the MCX is I've always heard direct impingement is quieter than piston?
I base my statements on no hearing protection because otherwise I wouldn't bother with suppressors. I like quiet shooting w/o ear protection mostly because ear plugs start to bother my ears after an hour or so, even the softies. Yes, 9mm sub is definitely quieter than 300blk subs suppressed. If your OK with the reduced range of 9mm that would be a really fun, quiet and cheap option to shoot as opposed to 300blk. I was under the impression piston systems were quieter but the only piston system I've shot is the Sig MPX and that probably doesn't count considering the piston in the MCX and others are different considering they are rifle rounds vs pistol rounds. For me the biggest issues were the mechanical noises and having a big heavy bolt slam back by my ear. Both 300blk and 9mm in AR configurations bothered my ears with this, the shot with the 300blk was noticeable but not with 9mm. The absolute quietest 9mm I've ever shot suppressed was an MP5 clone followed by the MPX. This is the whole reason I bought the MPX, I could shoot it suppressed all day w/o it bothering me (I could afford the MPX too over an MP5). My 300BLK I use for hunting rather than plinking.

+1 on the JP Silent Sprint kit. I got it for a 223 build and it is AMAZING.

Edit: forgot to mention I am using a SilencerCo octane 9 on my MPX and a SilencerCo Saker 762 on my blk.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

I find that my H&R break action handi-rifle was close to the same as my Daniel Defense 10.3 inch 300 BLK. I can't really compare apples to apples with this though since I was running an Omega on the AR and an Octane 9 on the Handi-Rifle. I think most of the noise on my AR is generated from that loud bolt slapping closed right next to my face though. I'm betting should I run the Omega on both guns and compare with my ears only (Don't have access to a sound meter or anything) that I'd definitely find the Handi-Rifle to be less noisy than the AR shorty. That being said, I don't find the shorty is offensive to my ears but I already have some hearing loss and suffer from tinnitus 24/7. Only difference between us is that I don't feel physical discomfort when shooting. Even when hunting and I loose a .308 round through the Omega my ears don't actually hurt.

I'd think that if you ran a 300 AR shorty with one of the silent capture springs listed above you should be ok unless that action noise really bothers you. If I had time I'd put my silent capture spring in the 300 and compare for you.....work commands too much of my time though.

Do you have a friend that has a 300 shorty that would go to the range with you and let you put your Omega on his rifle? Free trials is always better than doing like I did.....buying multiple cans for each caliber and deciding which I liked best after was my only option due to my lack of time and available toys that others owned to try out.
I've gotta stop this habit.
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

I own a 8.5" 300BLK with an Omega on it, and a 5.5" 9mm AR with an Octane 45K on it.

Shooting 30BLK Subsonics, mine's REALLY quiet. A captured spring would quiet it even more. But next to a single-shot 300BLK, it's downright NOISY simply due to the sound of the bolt and buffer spring. Of course, you get ONE shot... but they are awesome.

The 9mm AR is also very quiet suppressed, shooting 147gr subsonic 9mm. All you're really hearing is the bolt and buffer.

JW
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I also have two 300 BLKs. Both are used subsonic with 220 gr SMK loads. One is a 1:8 twist 16" fitted with a 30 caliber SAS Ti Arbiter suppressor. Is VERY, very quiet.

The other is a 1:7 twist 8.5" CMMG barrel fitted with a 3 lug. I use a 9mm SIlencerco Octane 9 HD can. Is easily hearing safe.

The 16" with a full sized rifle can is quieter than the shorter 8.5" mounting a quality pistol can.

The Arbiter is known to be a quiet can and its muzzle end is further from the ear than is the shorter rifle. Distance from the ear to the muzzle may be important for you if absolute minimum sound level is your goal.

BTW We also have a 9mm MPX. When fitted with the 9m Octane 9HD can and shot with Finocchi 158 gr subsonic it is as close to Hollywood quiet as I have heard!