Suppressing 40

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Trvrdgr1234

Suppressing 40

Post by Trvrdgr1234 »

Hey guys still waiting on my first suppressor and looking into some hosts and it seems like no one really suppresses 40 is there a reason ? 180 grains are subsonic and available

Is it loud ? Or when all other things are equal does it fall roughly in between 9 and 45?

Being it's out of style right now so many guns are on sale my lgs has hk usp40t for 799! Right next to the 9mm vertion for 1150 lol
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppressing 40

Post by John A. »

I still like the 40.

I don't think it's going anywhere.

Obviously the threads aren't compatible with as much. And is the reason why I think 9mm cans are more popular. They just attach to more hosts.

Also, depending on which powder you're using, 40 typically uses more powder than 9, so expect a little more noise there. Not a huge lot more, but still more nonetheless.

I've never used clays with it before, but I just noticed that hogdon has some load data for clays. Between 3.0 and 3.4 gr of powder.

With titegroup, it uses about a grain more powder than my 9mm loads.
I don't care what your chart says
chase
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase »

I use an Osprey 40 (discontinued - the 9 and 45 are it now) on my HK USP40 and .40 P2000SK. It's surprisingly quiet and the secondary recoil spring on both pistol designs reduces felt recoil significantly. I have an old YHM Cobra 40 that is quite loud in comparison (It was my first can). The Osprey gets used and the Cobra does not. Eventually I plan to get an Osprey 45 (maybe a 45K) so both HKs can wear one.
Chase

suppressortools.com
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

Assuming you have a 45 Cal can, you'd just need a threaded barrel and an adapter. Subsonics are subsonics. That said I have a 40Cal M&P Pro Series. I bought a 9mm threaded barrel for it, and 9mm mags. The thread adaptors fr 9mm are much more plentiful, ammo is cheaper, etc, etc... The swap in the M&P is really easy.

JW
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I have a glock 20 with kkm barrel that I had them thread .578-28 for my 45 cans (call in order). It adds a little lead time, but costs the same as 9/16 thread. KKM makes a great product and it's cheaper than the cheaper threaded barrels if you would have to buy a new piston as well. Also, very convienint at the range if one piston fits my 10mm and 45's.

It suppresses fine, i cant tell the difference between. 45 ACP 230g and 10mm 200gr CCI through the same suppressor. Full power 10mm has a solid crack, but tollerable for a few shots in the woods if you hunt.

40 s&w shoots fine from a 10mm barrel and cycles OK with a suppressor, haven't messed with lighter RSA. Can't do a side by side, but I think 40 S&W 180gr sounds about the same as others.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!