Gemtech Mist - To Port or Not To Port?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

NoEcm

Gemtech Mist - To Port or Not To Port?

Post by NoEcm »

Just received my Gemtech Mist which came un-ported. Any thoughts on sending it back to Gemtech to have it ported?

Any Gemtech Mist owners have any comments about the ported model? Especially if I use anti-seize on the threads along with regular cleaning?

Calculating at around a 5 cent difference between .22 standard (5 cents/round) vs .22 subsonic (10 cents/round) it would only take ~10,000 rounds fired to pay for the Mist if I had it ported (.05 difference x 10,000 = $500).

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gemtech Mist - To Port or Not To Port?

Post by ECCO Machine »

You might try it first. They're pretty dang quiet with cheap high velocity ammo as it is.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
LoboLoco

Post by LoboLoco »

I got my ported Mist barrel 3 years ago. I loved it! I cleaned it regularly. But, it was getting more and more difficult to remove the outer sleeve. So, after searching the net, I found that Gemtech had replaced barrels for customers who requested un-ported barrels. I called, and they replaced mine last year.
It appeared to me, that the problem was hot lead attaching itself to the inside of the sleeve, then cooling into a solid mass. That buildup was difficult to remove from a 1" aluminum cylinder.
I reasoned it this way: If I had kept the ported barrel - the next range session would have made the sleeve impossible to remove. That makes cleaning more difficult, and less effective.
With the un-ported barrel, I can choose whether to shoot subsonic ammo (hollywood quiet), or standard velocity (neighbors can't hear it), or high velocity (no muffs required). Ammo prices have come down so much that I can get std or subs pretty cheap.
Just my opinion. Either way, I hope you enjoy your Mist as much as I have enjoyed mine. :D
Be wary of those who seek to govern others. For while they proclaim their moral foundation, and noble intentions, make no mistake - they intend to govern others.
NoEcm

Post by NoEcm »

I haven't tried my Gemtech Mist yet but I did find the perfect brush for cleaning the inside of the tube:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002161PVO
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

NoEcm wrote:Just received my Gemtech Mist which came un-ported. Any thoughts on sending it back to Gemtech to have it ported?

Any Gemtech Mist owners have any comments about the ported model? Especially if I use anti-seize on the threads along with regular cleaning?

Calculating at around a 5 cent difference between .22 standard (5 cents/round) vs .22 subsonic (10 cents/round) it would only take ~10,000 rounds fired to pay for the Mist if I had it ported (.05 difference x 10,000 = $500).

Thanks
My take down Mist and my full sized mist came unported and I was not happy with standard velocity .22's going supersonic, especially in the winter so I called Gemtech, they put me in touch with the man himself, Phil Dater, and he gave me about 20 minutes of his busy machining time to talk about ports and some older AWC Dater designed suppressors I still have. Anyway I decided to have both barrels ported which Gemtech did for free, in fact I think Dater did the work himself and they shipped them back for free, I only paid for the Priority Mail postage to them!
Very happy now with both barrels... Dater was not sure if porting the shorter take down barrel would do what I wanted but it did! Accuracy is great and I just clean regularly... maybe 300 rounds or so and it's a breeze. I coat all internals and the inside of the tube with Seal 1 grease and use copper hi temp anti-seize on threads... no problems at all. As an added plus it sounds like the Seal 1 grease acts as an ablative and lowers the sound volume over a totally dry unit. It's quite noticeable. When I think the Seal 1 is gone and I don't want to take the unit off I just spray RemOil through the firearm chamber and let it run into the monocore and then i spray some in from the front, again a very noticeable difference in an already extremely quiet unit. The action noise was bothering me so much that I put hard plastic bolt stop rods in the receiver in place of the metal factory rods... they have been in for over a year now and no signs of wear are present. I believe I got them from Brownell's, possibly Midway but I order more from Brownell's because of their Edge program that saves me money and gives me true free shipping, even to Alaska unlike Midway whose "Free Shipping" coupons or codes always charge me a $10 Alaska surcharge.
Happy with the ports!
George
stampcollecter

Post by stampcollecter »

gsyoung54 wrote:
NoEcm wrote:Just received my Gemtech Mist which came un-ported. Any thoughts on sending it back to Gemtech to have it ported?

Thanks
My take down Mist and my full sized mist came unported and I was not happy with standard velocity .22's going supersonic, especially in the winter so I called Gemtech, they put me in touch with the man himself, Phil Dater, and he gave me about 20 minutes of his busy machining time to talk about ports and some older AWC Dater designed suppressors I still have. Anyway I decided to have both barrels ported which Gemtech did for free, in fact I think Dater did the work himself and they shipped them back for free, I only paid for the Priority Mail postage to them!
Very happy now with both barrels... Dater was not sure if porting the shorter take down barrel would do what I wanted but it did! Accuracy is great and I just clean regularly... maybe 300 rounds or so and it's a breeze. I coat all internals and the inside of the tube with Seal 1 grease and use copper hi temp anti-seize on threads... no problems at all. As an added plus it sounds like the Seal 1 grease acts as an ablative and lowers the sound volume over a totally dry unit. It's quite noticeable. When I think the Seal 1 is gone and I don't want to take the unit off I just spray RemOil through the firearm chamber and let it run into the monocore and then i spray some in from the front, again a very noticeable difference in an already extremely quiet unit. The action noise was bothering me so much that I put hard plastic bolt stop rods in the receiver in place of the metal factory rods... they have been in for over a year now and no signs of wear are present. I believe I got them from Brownell's, possibly Midway but I order more from Brownell's because of their Edge program that saves me money and gives me true free shipping, even to Alaska unlike Midway whose "Free Shipping" coupons or codes always charge me a $10 Alaska surcharge.
Happy with the ports!
George

anyway you can snap pictures of where the port is located? Gemtech is no longer doing this for customers based on the email I received today.

I am going to have someone port it for me.

"We no longer offer porting on the MIST barrels as the ports caused issues with disassembly, and unfortunately did not get the velocity reduction that we were hoping for. Due to the issues with disassembly, we decided to omit the ports. If you would like the ports, most gunsmiths should be able to do the porting, however this would void the warranty on the barrel. I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, please let us know."
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

stampcollecter wrote:
gsyoung54 wrote:

Thanks
Happy with the ports!
George

anyway you can snap pictures of where the port is located? Gemtech is no longer doing this for customers based on the email I received today.

I am going to have someone port it for me.

"We no longer offer porting on the MIST barrels as the ports caused issues with disassembly, and unfortunately did not get the velocity reduction that we were hoping for. Due to the issues with disassembly, we decided to omit the ports. If you would like the ports, most gunsmiths should be able to do the porting, however this would void the warranty on the barrel. I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, please let us know."

I've got some pics but can't figure out how to copy them to here and don't see how to attach them as attachments. If you want to I think I can email them or text them to your phone.
George from Alaska
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

I sent pictures to the number you gave me.
stampcollecter

Post by stampcollecter »

gsyoung54 wrote:I sent pictures to the number you gave me.

https://imgur.com/a/m3bjtwr
stampcollecter

Post by stampcollecter »

Anyone know the port hole size on the Gemtech most?

I am trying to get mine ported but need to know what size hole.
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Not sure on protocol on posting ar15.com links, but Dr Dater is on there and offered to port my two gemtech mist barrels for me a couple of weeks ago. Even offered to cut the slot for a 96/22 extractor. Might try the silencer forum over there.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.