Has anyone tried the gemtech 10/22 barrel?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Senior Silent Operator

Has anyone tried the gemtech 10/22 barrel?

Post by 748 »

I tried to search it but I get the error message saying that the search is too common or short.

It seems pretty nice but for $500+ dollars for something that can only be put on one gun or type of gun if you have more than one ruger 10/22 and have time to sight it in every time after a barrel swap. Compared to a standard 1/2-28 can that can be screwed onto the end of anything.

It looks like this barrels bore is only about 10 inchs, then the rest is can.
The 3 big questions I have are:
Does a 10 inch barrel render standard 22LR subsonic?
Will the 10/22 action cycle with 10 inches worth of standard 22LR blow back, or will it need to be modified a little?
Because it's rather huge internal volume I'm assuming gemtech put it to good use and it's quiet as can be?
So much has changed since my last form 1
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Has anyone tried the gemtech 10/22 barrel?

Post by mbogo »

If you're referring to the Mist integrally suppressed barrels, no, I have not shot a gun wearing one.

For a compact rifle, I went with the Tactical Solutions SB-X barrel, which 12 3/8" of barrel and a fixed 3 1/2" extension (for a total barrel length of 16 5/8". My Gemtech Outback II fits right inside the extension and screws onto the barrel threads.

My 10/22 cycles with SV ammunition and is accurate. It is subsonic from the 12 3'8" SB-X, and quiet.

mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

748 wrote:..
1. Does a 10 inch barrel render standard 22LR subsonic?

2. Will the 10/22 action cycle with 10 inches worth of standard 22LR blow back, or will it need to be modified a little?

3. Because it's rather huge internal volume I'm assuming gemtech put it to good use and it's quiet as can be?
1. Depends on what you define as "standard". I define standard as Standard Velocity. A CCI Mini Mag is going to be on the hairy edge of subsonic but most likely supersonic, the stinger will undoubtedly be supersonic. So, what is "standard"?

2. It will likely cycle for as long as the action is clean. I'm not aware of any difference between the 10/22 Charger receiver and the 10/22 rifle receiver.

3. I have not seen any published independent testing, it's probably as quiet as every other integral out there which is a bit quieter than the industry leading muzzle mounted suppressors.

4. I have no idea why anyone would want to routinely move a barrel back and forth between one 10/22 receiver and another. Much easier to swap the bolts or the stocks and I still don't understand that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

We can safely call standard 22lr 40gr that can do 1200fps when fired out of a 18'' rifle.
The gemtech barrel has 10 inches of bore and the rest is can, I should have measured over all length, think it's around 16 to 18.
LoboLoco

Post by LoboLoco »

Aquila standard velocity does not break the sound barrier when fired through my Mist barrel.
Gemtech Subsonic ammo is quieter than standard velocity ammo.

The receiver gets dirty quickly, just like a screw-on suppressor. Dirty receiver=jams.

This barrel is "Hollywood" quiet with subs. standard velocity a little louder. Supers crack the sound barrier in an UN-ported barrel. But, the ported version slows everything down by bleeding off pressure.

In hindsight ... I'd just buy a Ruger screw-on silencer. They work great, easier to clean, cheaper, more versatile.

See the other post ... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139123
Be wary of those who seek to govern others. For while they proclaim their moral foundation, and noble intentions, make no mistake - they intend to govern others.
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

I got a non ported gemtech 10/22 take down barrel sitting in the safe at the dealer.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

748 wrote:I tried to search it but I get the error message saying that the search is too common or short.

It seems pretty nice but for $500+ dollars for something that can only be put on one gun or type of gun if you have more than one ruger 10/22 and have time to sight it in every time after a barrel swap. Compared to a standard 1/2-28 can that can be screwed onto the end of anything.

It looks like this barrels bore is only about 10 inchs, then the rest is can.
Does a 10 inch barrel render standard 22LR subsonic?
Will the 10/22 action cycle with 10 inches worth of standard 22LR blow back, or will it need to be modified a little?
Because it's rather huge internal volume I'm assuming gemtech put it to good use and it's quiet as can be?

I have a standard length and a takedown length Mist suppressor, both ported by Dater himself. They came non-ported and they ported them for free. They used to come ported but apparently some Mist owners never took apart and cleaned their units or used anti-seize on the threads like some do and the outside tubes stuck to the insides of the ported units (so Dater told me) so they stopped porting them to stop the lead buildup back by the threads. I have some older Dater AAC ported barrel 10-22 integral rifle suppressors and they worked fine then so I called GemTech and they put me in contact with Dater so I would understand exactly what was going on and what I could expect from them porting the barrels... which they did for free for me... I only had to pay for shipping to them, them did the work and shipped them back for free.
1) Now, all standard velocity 22's go subsonic in either the takedown or the full length Mist.
2) The 10-22 action cycles with all standard velocity 22's and most subsonics... the ports do a good job of bleeding off standard velocity gasses and makes them subsonic. It sometimes bleeds off too much velocity from the weakest subs. For kicks, shoot CCI "Quiet 22's" ... they wont cycle the action but man o man is it a quiet setup!!

I like them and find them to be accurate and easy to maintain....

George
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

I did end up getting the non ported gem tech mist.
Sent in the paperwork around April 1 and got the tax stamp back around October 10.
I am very satisfied.
It's nice and quiet. Makes the gun dirty fast, but oh well.
The gun is a lot lighter with the mist barrel as opposed to the solid heavy steel target barrel. That's most of the guns weight.
I have been shooting mostly Remington subs.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Glad you like how it works.
I don't care what your chart says
btb601
Silent But Deadly

Post by btb601 »

Hows the accuracy. Sometimes I only get one shot at varmints around the house with some at a distant. I don't like finding that on flyer on a prefect head shot only to miss......
Last 3 shots were at a copperhead that bit two of my dogs last month just days before it got to cold. The both survived, one Rottweiler and a Maltese and was a long night for all. Anyway, all three shots were fliers....LOL
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I hate snakes.

I prefer #8 shot for poisonous critters, especially after they have tried to kill my dogs and stuff.
I don't care what your chart says
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

btb601 wrote:Hows the accuracy. Sometimes I only get one shot at varmints around the house with some at a distant. I don't like finding that on flyer on a prefect head shot only to miss......
Last 3 shots were at a copperhead that bit two of my dogs last month just days before it got to cold. The both survived, one Rottweiler and a Maltese and was a long night for all. Anyway, all three shots were fliers....LOL
Had to play with different ammo but a .22 precision shooter I know helped me with different types with his massive supply of .22 LR. I personally like S&B and Aquila subsonics for quiet but his recommendation of SK Biathlon Sport .22LR in the blue box at Cabela's and sometimes Sportsman's wharehouse is MOA at 50 yards and 1-3 MOA at 100 yards from a bipod. I don't use sleds.
My Mist barrels are all ported and I don't have the new unported version to compare it to. Dater ported mine years ago, they don't offer that service anymore but any real gunsmith with a carbide end mill can do it for you or you can just try all ammo and see how they do.
Good luck.
George from Alaska
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

I want to actually take it out and shoot it paper from a rest this weekend.

If you like 10/22 and suppressors you have to get one.
Only draw back is I don't think more than 100 or so rounds should be put through it with out a little cleaning.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

748 wrote:I want to actually take it out and shoot it paper from a rest this weekend.

If you like 10/22 and suppressors you have to get one.
Only draw back is I don't think more than 100 or so rounds should be put through it with out a little cleaning.
I just run a bigger than .22 cal brush to scrub the chamber clean, bronze brush the chamber face and the feed area, spray a little oil and ready to go again. I clean whenever I can't drop a .22 round in the chamber without shoving it.
Last edited by gsyoung54 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George from Alaska
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

I had only taken it out and shot it a little here and there. Shoot it maybe 10 or 20 tines before taking it apart.
Until I went to the range and put a few hundred rounds through it.
I shot it so much it didn't want to come apart. I was able to put the barrel lock block in my vise and break it loose with both hands on the tube.

I bought a 1 inch brass cannon cleaning brush to break up stuff stuck to the inside of the tube.

Accuracy is ok, just sticking the scope and barrel on the gun and shooting it gave about 2 inches at 25 yards.
I'm sure this can be improved.
Scope is a little 4x leupold.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

John A. wrote:I hate snakes.

I prefer #8 shot for poisonous critters, especially after they have tried to kill my dogs and stuff.
+1.

I have taken them out with my .22 S&W 41 with Ray Brande's Bully barrel ... 1:8
twist ... + Aguila 'fatties'*.

Best.

* << https://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire/#Specialtab >>
Last edited by Historian on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

If there's room, you may want to try the choreboy trick. Dater's trick I think. You unroll a copper-plated stainless choreboy-type scrubbing pad (or pure copper mesh if you have a source, and flat sheets of mesh would obviously make this easier to roll around the barrel) then stretch it and roll between hands until you have a sort of mesh rope. Wind that around the ported barrel then assemble. Perhaps stitching the mesh in place with a few loops of copper wire. The mesh breaks up gas flow and prevents nearly as much gunk and scorching on the inside of the tube.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

a_canadian wrote:If there's room, you may want to try the choreboy trick. Dater's trick I think. You unroll a copper-plated stainless choreboy-type scrubbing pad (or pure copper mesh if you have a source, and flat sheets of mesh would obviously make this easier to roll around the barrel) then stretch it and roll between hands until you have a sort of mesh rope. Wind that around the ported barrel then assemble. Perhaps stitching the mesh in place with a few loops of copper wire. The mesh breaks up gas flow and prevents nearly as much gunk and scorching on the inside of the tube.
ATF/NFA has ruled that having copper Chore Boy scrubbing pads and using them in a suppressor, even one of the old Dater ones, is considered some kind of constructive intent... like wipes and the Ghost 45M or the little wipe and ablative suppressor... like the Nano, I think the name is. I sent my old Dater Ruger Mark II to AWC and I think it was $45 plus shipping.... I know it's a stupid ruling but I'm a FFL/SOT and too old to go to prison.

So a citizen can have a 10" Blackout with a "brace" (SBR?.. not according to the ATF) that this week is allowed to be shouldered instead of paying a $200 tax and waiting.... but I can't repack my old effective suppressors that took Chore Boys or wipes (like the Reed Knight inspired/Dater built HP-9 Hush Puppy)??
Methinks there is confusion afloat...
George from Alaska
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 748 »

There is no room inside the gemtech mist to add anything beside a little excess lube.
The cover tube is a nice snug fit over the mono baffling.
You put more than about 200 rounds through with out opening it up and you will need a vise to break it free.
It works so well you don't need to improve it, there really isn't any first round pop, the gun cycling is about as loud as the bang after it goes through the suppressor.
The only way to make it quieter is to put it on an action that locks closed, like a bolt action.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

748 wrote:There is no room inside the gemtech mist to add anything beside a little excess lube.
The cover tube is a nice snug fit over the mono baffling.
You put more than about 200 rounds through with out opening it up and you will need a vise to break it free.
It works so well you don't need to improve it, there really isn't any first round pop, the gun cycling is about as loud as the bang after it goes through the suppressor.
The only way to make it quieter is to put it on an action that locks closed, like a bolt action.
I have the ported barrel versions of four Mist barrels and they are said by Dater himself to be more problematic to remove than the unported barrels being sold now. I shoot 500-1,000 rounds between cleanings and the tubes come off by hand and gloves only. I use hi-temp copper anti-seize on both sets of threads, works much better than any gun oil or grease. I use it on all suppressor threads and taper mounts and I use it generously. I've read that over time anti seize may slowly degrade some "O" rings but I have spares of those for all my suppressors and haven't had to replace one yet. I've had some suppressors for 39 years and they all still come apart. Even in the late 70's to the 80's and beyond AWC made take apart cans. It's funny looking at some of my older cans.... they literally used steel fender type washers and spacers... I think my old AWC take apart Optima 5.56 can actually has a blast baffle. It looks kind of pitted, they probably didn't use the exotic steels used today.
George from Alaska
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

748 wrote:...snip....
Which is why Ruger should have designed the American Rimfire rifles to use 10-22 barrels. How great would that be? Really, really great I say.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

jlwilliams wrote:
748 wrote:...snip....
Which is why Ruger should have designed the American Rimfire rifles to use 10-22 barrels. How great would that be? Really, really great I say.
That wouid be great!
AWC sells an integrally suppressed 10-22 similar to their Ultra .22 but the more expensive version has a bolt latch lock for ultimate quiet.
I sometimes use the CCI "Quiet 22's" in my Mist barreled rifles and my AWC. The AWC may be a tad quieter as it is ported and uses baffles vs. the Mist monocore.
The bolt doesn't function with the Quiet Ammo so it's pretty darn quiet... probably not a lot of terminal energy. Alternatively, I can easily jolt the bolt closed on a Ruger Mark whatever model with a gloved hand. Same with the 10-22.
George from Alaska