Piston and spacer or fixed spacer?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ghmj07

Piston and spacer or fixed spacer?

Post by ghmj07 »

ATF recently cashed my check for a Rugged Obsidian 45, so while I endure the long wait, I'm going to acquire a couple of accessories. This is my first centerfire suppressor, and I've never used a piston before. It comes with the piston I need for my 45, but I also have a 9mm pistol in 1/2 x 28, and a 9mm carbine in 1/2 x 36.

I'll need a piston for the pistol, but any thoughts on fixed spacer vs piston/spacer for the 9mm in 1/2 x 36? The Rugged fixed spacer looks like it will be about $40 cheaper than buying a piston and spacer. The only advantage I see to the piston/spacer would be if I had or were going to purchase any other 1/2 x 36 hosts that would need a piston.

I'm new to centerfire suppressors, so are there any other factors to consider?

Thanks.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Re: Piston and spacer or fixed spacer?

Post by gsyoung54 »

ghmj07 wrote:ATF recently cashed my check for a Rugged Obsidian 45, so while I endure the long wait, I'm going to acquire a couple of accessories. This is my first centerfire suppressor, and I've never used a piston before. It comes with the piston I need for my 45, but I also have a 9mm pistol in 1/2 x 28, and a 9mm carbine in 1/2 x 36.

I'll need a piston for the pistol, but any thoughts on fixed spacer vs piston/spacer for the 9mm in 1/2 x 36? The Rugged fixed spacer looks like it will be about $40 cheaper than buying a piston and spacer. The only advantage I see to the piston/spacer would be if I had or were going to purchase any other 1/2 x 36 hosts that would need a piston.

I'm new to centerfire suppressors, so are there any other factors to consider?

Thanks.
The one piece fixed mounts are nice but as you stated are more expensive and are really only needed on carbines or smgs. I have both because I'm weird like that and kind of like the one piece fixed mount over the four piece piston assembly with spacer. The fixed mount also offers more volume for expansion over the piston assembly and may be quieter. I run my fixed mount wet because that's the first place the gasses go.

Nice choice on the Rugged Obsidian! I believe you can get 9mm end caps from Silencer Shop now and my 45 Obsidian is quieter than the 9 Obsidian... simply more volume.

George
ghmj07

Re: Piston and spacer or fixed spacer?

Post by ghmj07 »

That helps my decision. Thanks.

I think I'll go with a fixed spacer. If for no other reason, I saw a couple of youtube videos where folks forgot to put the spacer on/over the piston on a carbine, and it wasn't pretty.

The greater volume can't hurt, either. I'm glad to know the Obsidian works well with 9mm.

Thanks again.