Saker 7.62 ASR or Specwar 7.62?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Saker 7.62 ASR or Specwar 7.62?

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I had convinced myself my next buy would be a Saker 7.62 ASR to dedicate to an 18" 6.5 Grendal that has been sharing an old style Saker 7.62 with it's 12.5" 6.5 Grendel little brother. Everything is ASR now.

Then walked into local shop and they are closing out the Specwar 7.62 for $550 so I could save save a good chunk.

I rapid fire, but I think either is plenty strong for the purpose. Dimensions and weight are about the same, so it's just sound. Saker claims a little lower numbers, but close. I'm kind of thinking the only real difference is the price.

Anyone have any first hand impressions or thinking of some other factors to consider?

Thanks
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
savage54

Re: Saker 7.62 ASR or Specwar 7.62?

Post by savage54 »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:I had convinced myself my next buy would be a Saker 7.62 ASR to dedicate to an 18" 6.5 Grendal that has been sharing an old style Saker 7.62 with it's 12.5" 6.5 Grendel little brother. Everything is ASR now.

Then walked into local shop and they are closing out the Specwar 7.62 for $550 so I could save save a good chunk.

I rapid fire, but I think either is plenty strong for the purpose. Dimensions and weight are about the same, so it's just sound. Saker claims a little lower numbers, but close. I'm kind of thinking the only real difference is the price.

Anyone have any first hand impressions or thinking of some other factors to consider?

Thanks

I've got the original Saker 7.62, with the ASR mount, and a Specwar. Both are heavy, both have great performance, both are full-auto rated. I wouldn't hesitate to do 2 - 3 mag dumps from either.

You say the dimensions are the same, and that may be true with the newer Saker ASR. The first-gen Saker is listed on my Form 4 as 7.5", while the Specwar is listed as 9". And if you changed out to the direct thread, the Saker got real close to 7". If I recall, the weight was within a couple of ounces when both were configured for ASR mounts.

I don't have access to the SilencerCo website from work, so I can't confirm - does the Saker ASR still have a full Stellite stack? Or did they change to use Stellite for the blast baffle and Inconel for the rest? The first gen Saker, and the Specwar, use Stellite for the whole stack.

If it were me, I'd go with the closeout on the Specwar, but I've been called frugal (or worse).
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

Thanks, the closeout is a good deal, I think I'll go with it.

I have an old saker also, looks like the new 7.62 ASR is the 9" replacement for the Specwar and they have the Chimera 6.9" as the replacement for the old Saker 7.5"
rb288

Post by rb288 »

Just as an aside,
Even though Silencerco doesn't sell the specwar anymore, they do still support it.
About 3 weeks ago, I pulled a bonehead and didn't get my specwar tightened on my mount.
Yep, first shot, 25 yards down the range.
It had several baffle strikes and a extra big hole in the endcap.I sent it back to Silencerco hoping it wasn't trashed.
2 weeks later, I got it back as good as new.
They told me because they don't sell them anymore, they had to remanufactured the parts.
But they did and basically, rebuilt my specwar, and they did it under warranty.
That is the exact reason I own 6 Silencerco suppressors, THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SUPPORT.
Specwar 762
Specwar 556
2 Hybrids
Omega
Obsidian 45

18" Keltec RFB
8.25" 300blk sbr
10.5" 5.56 sbr
10.5" 6.5 g sbr
bolt actions in 223, 556, 6.5 c, 300blk, 308, 8x57, 450bm
hank jr

Post by hank jr »

From the Specwar White Paper:
Warrantied down to 7” barrels for .223 Rem/5.56mm NATO (10” barrels for 556K), 12” barrels for .308/7.62mm NATO, and 20” barrels for magnum calibers.

Don't know about the Saker.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I also have an original Saker and and a Specwar. Have used the Saker on a 12.5" 6.8. Works well. The Specwar has been mounted on 16" and 12.5" 308s. Is a great can for LOUD rifles. Really takes the nastiness out of the 12.5" 308 SBR which is very exciting without it!
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I got the specwar 7.62, I have the old Saker 7.62 switched to ASR mount as well. One will get dedicated to a 6.5 Grendel 12.5" and the other to a 18" Grendal. Will try it both ways and see what I like better.

Thanks for all the input.