Looking for a .22 can host

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Looking for a .22 can host

Post by cyclone72 »

Title says it all. I have an Element II that I want to get a pistol for. I think a Sig Mosquito or Walther P22 would work ok but I want to know other pistol hosts options. I just want this for fun maybe biggest bang for buck like a threaded .22 Ruger. Not sure what I want though and looking for options.
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Looking for a .22 can host

Post by mbogo »

I use my cans on a Ruger 22/45 Lite, an RIA 1911 w/.22LR upper, and a Browning Buckmark.

I know two people who got rid of their Mosquitos shortly after its introduction (it sucks to be an early adopter) due to misfeeds and failures to eject. SIG may have figured the issues out by now...or not.

mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

My P22 is not very accurate at all.

I'm lucky to hit 2 liter bottles with it at 25 yards.

Dang if it's not really quiet though.
I don't care what your chart says
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I have a Ruger 22/45 and it works well.

Had a Mosquito, couldn't get rid of it fast enough. If it's between a Mosquito and a P22 I'd go P22 never having held one.

Also have a 22 conversion for the P226 which works well enough but I don't use it much anymore. I bought it before they were available threaded and had Hi Desert Dog put an adapter on it for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
BamaBred

Post by BamaBred »

I have two .22 pistols: a GSG 1911-22 (the people who make the Mosquito for Sig) and a S&W 22 Compact. I've had good look with the GSG 1911. It's cheaply made (crude even), but it is quiet and reliable (runs better on HV ammo if not suppressed). The benefit of the S&W 22 compact is that it will eat any ammo you have. It's not super accurate, but it's a great little gun.

With all that said, if I was buying a .22 pistol today I probably would go with a Ruger Mark IV Tactical.
cdl

Post by cdl »

I found myself looking for a reliable suppressible 22 I could throw in a pack where weight might be an issue.

+1 on M&P Compact. Not much of a footprint, even with spare ammo. Most 22 brands I chrono'd at just under 1000fps and Winchester plated hollow point shot the best groups at 1033fps. For me anyway. Probably never find another box Winchester now ...
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

cyclone72 wrote: I think a Sig Mosquito or Walther P22 would work ok
Those would be at the very bottom of my list.

If you just have to have a centerfire style slide, M&P22 or SR22. Otherwise, Browning Buckmark, Beretta NEOS, Ruger MK or S&W Victory/22A would be my recommendations. The little Phoenix HP22 is a fun one, too, but they do have slide wear issues with high round count, and threading them is not very straight forward, since they have a barrel liner inside a ZAMAK housing.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist